1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do We Approach Our Summer Business?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Jun 1, 2019.

Discuss How Do We Approach Our Summer Business? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    But recently when Izzy waves farewell he's still using the same hand to wave hello the next day.

All the best to Henke, plenty of time for him to come here if it suits

2. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    If I was PL I'd have thought after the expected backlash on the NL appointment, if we signed a RB and CB within a short period of decent quality that the whole club would be back on an even keel.

That whatever 'noise' is going on across the city them two signings would be as much a shot across their bow, just as much as a feel good factor for ourselves.

Plus showing the support that Lenny would be getting supported in the market, on the back of one of the biggest seasons in personal out the door.

Can't help but feel he had the chance to build momentum into the qualifiers.

We continue to keeping waiting as weeks go by, anybody we will sign that late into the window shouldn't be risked throwing them straight into the more difficult qualifiers without some game time with our other players.

Yes the window is open to the end of August- but our window should be a window within a window and try to get the vast majority over the line by the end of July, because especially under the snake I felt we always held back to get the scraps of the EPL transfer window on loan

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    What is the situation with our scouts? Did Congerton go with Rodgers? Just wondering how much time Lenny has had to work with scouts he has a good relationship with?

4. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    I cant believe how slow we have been so far

5. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    In fairness we have offered contracts to Lustig, Boyata, Izzy and Turnbull for this season

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's the thing, mate. Congerton went to Leicester. I asked it before, but no one seems to know: who is helping Lenny scout at the moment? He can't be expected to do it all himself. I'd really like to know.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'm sure we have other scouts. Each scout will have reports. I suppose lenny will read them, then ask to see some videos etc on the promising sounding ones. Lawell shredded the ones costing more than a couple million before hand obviously.

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We need to get the finger out and have a couple of signings in this week.

Going into the UCL qualifiers with no LB and Ralston as our only RB would be madness.

9. gandolf

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc and Mick
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe McDonnell
    I can't see us bringing anyone in for early round UCL Qualifiers. Our squad won't take shape until the English Premier/Championship squads have been finalised, and then we will take a few players on loan.

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Was hoping we'd have a player or two in by now. Really need to get the finger out.

11. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Peter Lawwell

12. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Hopefully a lot * faster than we have been doing so far.

Tommy25 likes this.
  13. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Is there any news or a sniff of anyone else coming in bar this on going Turnbull saga?

Any * in the know, know anything?

14. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Can he play rb

15. Cupid Stunt

This time last year the rumours were very slow in coming in.

We all believed it was because the press had no idea what was happening within the club and we kept our business close to our chest. What materialised was that the rumours were slow in coming in because there was * all happening.

We needed replacements for Boyata (I know he didn't leave but we had to knock back £9 mil for a player who isn't actually particularly wonderful and in the last year of his contract because there was nobody lined up to replace him), Roberts, Armstrong, Sviatchenko, Dembele and probably more I can't even remember and we failed on every count.

This season there was a bit of a buzz early doors, but we're struggling to get Turnbull over the line, Harper interest seems to have cooled (maybe put all our eggs in the one basket) and everything has gone worryingly quiet again, not to dissimilar to last season.

I know there is a thread on here regarding things we should be positive about, and actually, given the signings the Huns have made, we are probably that CB from Toulouse, a decent RB and a decent LW away from absolutely blowing everybody in Scotland out of the water again. The club just seem either reluctant or incapable of finding players for those positions that will push us back up to the next level.

We'll have stability next year and a management team that want to be here (not my choice admittedly), if we get the recruitment right (and the shopping list really isn't all that long), we should walk the league again. I just don't have faith in the board or the recruitment team to get this right and I'm not even convinced they want to or care.

16. HH88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson

They will spend as little as they need to to keep winning the league. Read this again.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Slowly and painfully, by the looks of it.

18. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Giving me * PTSD, suppose we should not expect much as Lawwell is a tight fisted *, who cares only for the numbers, this * will never change his ways and continue to pinch every penny.

19. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    If the Turnbull deal is nearly done then all we need now is the following

First team right back and possible back up as well.

Starting centre half and back up centre half as well.

First team left winger (can’t see it happening because of the contract extension for Sinclair, gutted if we don’t get one in)

First team forward.

If I’m honest I can’t see us getting more than 2 of the above before the champions league qualifying games.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  20. CountyDownFaithful

Agree with this but you could also argue we need a natural LB to cover KT. Greg Taylor of Killie would be my choice.

Would loan out Ralston and Hendry if we are able to get 2x RB's and 2x CB's in.