1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. clonbhoy

Can we agree to call that a result and leave it at that? We have no guile or class here. Woeful.

2. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Tough to watch tonight.

3. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

*, we've improved so much since sacking MON. :87:

Saul Goodman likes this.
  4. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Meh, can’t complain with our points tally so far. We need a decent striker

5. clonbhoy

We need a midfield too! If McCarthy can get this team to the Euros we should build a statue of him.

6. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

We have no top class players. All past Ireland teams I can remember had one or 2 top drawer players at any time. I agree about the statue. Should build one already, big Mick is the man

eire4 and StPauli1916 like this.
  7. clonbhoy

We are lacking even decent players. Must be the worst Irish team in history. At least the underage sides have a bit of promise.

8. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I think our goal at the moment should be 3rd in the group. In fact for the next couple of years any improvement on this should be seen as a massive bonus.

9. clonbhoy

This campaign should have been wrote off and we should be starting to slowly bring through lads like Ronan and Connolly; unfortunately, the FAI really want us to qualify for the matches on home soil. So we are going all out and will probably still finish third and end up being another year or two behind in terms of progression.

10. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I feel bad for young kids here that are into football and have the current squad to look up to.

There’s zero imagination or quality in the squad. They couldn’t even entertain a crowd at home to Gibraltar. It doesn’t surprise me that more and more kids seem to be opting for GAA and rugby. I’ve been disillusioned with Irish football for a while. Please * there’s another “golden generation” somewhere down the line.

11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I * love big McCarthy, him taking the * out the reporters about the team bus was funny as *.

StPauli1916, kinglenny and clonbhoy like this.
  12. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Not a great performance at all. O'Neill would have been pilloried if he was still in charge.
    Big Mick was great in the interview after the game, that Tony O'Donoghue is a right *. He always got under MoN skin but Mick was having none of it.
    Big game v the Swiss next.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  13. clonbhoy

Tony is an absolute gentleman who has a job to do. MON was ignorant and belligerent towards him and it completely backfired on him. McCarthy dealt with difficult questions with his own blunt charm and it will give him a lot more rope.

14. Aidan O’Shea

No Irishman should lend their support to a partitionist football team.

Clint Eastwood likes this.
  15. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Tony O'Donoghue asks leading questions in a manner deliberately fashioned in a way to entice a reaction. Maybe he is a gentleman personally, he is an * interviewer. Bill O'Herlihy was a master at it too, it was his style of questioning and the questions he asked that made Giles and Dunphy what they were.
    MoN doesn't suffer fools, it's whats led him to be a success on and off the park. He deserved more respect from Tony.
    Big Mick likewise, both heroes on and off the park for Celtic & Ireland.
    I dislike O'Donoghue immensely.

Gabriel likes this.
  16. clonbhoy

MON was a brilliant manager, but he never adapted his style and his stubborn nature is why he has toiled in recent years. Part of that problem is his refusal to adapt when dealing with the media.
    I am of the opinion that TOD is an excellent interviewer because he shirks the easy questions and, for the duration of the interview at least, doesn't treat the interviewee as a friend. TOD never disrespected him, quite the opposite, he merely felt there were questions that needed to be asked. The problem, as I always found with exams, wasn't the questions: it was the answers. Football managers, especially those who are the focus of the national media, need a certain amount of charm, something Martin has in abundance but decided not to use at all during his tenure with Ireland. He also made it personal with TOD and turned someone who was a footballing hero to me into a petty little man, for a period at least.
    Mick was brilliant last night.He was professional, disarming and charming in his unique manner; despite the poor performance.

The one area where I will continuously give RTÉ credit is that their football coverage hasn't joined the banality and inanity that surrounds football coverage everywhere else. Dunphy, a man who I often disagreed with and who had by the end of his term with the station become a caricature of himself, summed up the BBC's coverage when he described Garth Crooks interview with Sven Goran Eriksson as the "first time he had seen two men making love on the BBC." Part of what turns me off modern football is that sort of hogwash. Subscription television services charge people a lot of money to watch Michael Owen and Jamie Carragher point out the flaming obvious in annoying voices. I feel it patronises football fans, something TOD and the likes of Brady, Sadlier, Hamann, Giles, O'Herlihy or Dunphy could ever be accused of.

17. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    [​IMG] :67:

Keano88, Gyp Rosetti and clonbhoy like this.
  18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Sadly your not been harsh at all. Certainly the current Irish squad is the worst since at least the early 70's.

clonbhoy likes this.
  19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Can'y disagree. How we got that point in Denmark was a miracle. They completely out played us in the second half and Switzerland are at least as good a side if not better.

clonbhoy likes this.
  20. clonbhoy

I think the Swiss are better! The potential NL playoff route will be even tougher than the group.

eire4 likes this.