1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kieran Tierney

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Aug 1, 2015.

Discuss Kieran Tierney in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ddub11

KT is a class player and will attract attention and will go if the rite offer comes in.

IMO while he has talent he seems to pick up a lot of niggling injuries and if the rite offer came in it may not be all bad to let him go.

On the flip side the board wont invest any money made on a deal by purchasing a quality replacement.

2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I strongly disagree...

The right offer would have to be a staggering amount of money to sell a diehard Tim, who's one of the best prospects to come out of our academy in the modern era, who has 10+ years ahead of him to develop.

ThatBhoyLarsson likes this.
  3. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

No they can't force a player out. Unfortunately this won't stop the usual pish being posted/reported however. Will he leave in the future ? of course he will but in the meantime some folk seem to just be sitting and waiting for a story they can add arms and legs onto.. just so they can then start * the bed :giggle1:

Nah he wouldn't ever want to swap 20k a week for 5,6, 7 times that amount as he likes the GB :50:

4. Jeremie Frimpong

@Senna s1979 @Tim-Time 1888 @ynwa1987

If you need an example of someone at the pinnacle of his profession who consistently turned down staggeringly more lucrative job offers in order to pursue projects about which he was passionate, look no further than Daniel Day-Lewis.

I guess that he must be brain damaged though because his chosen career path doesn't square with your pop psychology.

Keano88 likes this.
  5. Jeremie Frimpong

And if you want one specific to football, to Celtic no less, then see Jimmy McGrory.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's a fan. He has a real affinity and emotional attachment with the club and support..

We know there's loads of examples of Tim's where that's meant nothing and I for one know he will go at some point, but...

I believe leaving a legacy with the 10 at 24 is something he'll want to achieve more than earning a hundred grand a week, just yet. This is a boy who has killed his self to play through the pain barrier just to get us over the line for the 8 this season..

He's on a very good wage as it is. He'll go, we all know that and at 24 he can have 6+ year's of earning astronomical money as well as being a history making Tim over and over...with hero and legend status..

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  7. Murph-E

If somebody wants to offer him £50k or £60k a week, we could always match it. Paid Lawwell £67k a week when you add up his total salary and bonus for 2017.

8. horseshoe

I think he's enough of a fan to want to stay and be part of the 10 at the very least, but after that who knows really, not for the mad money available elsewhere but he could simply want a new challenge as a player at some point.

9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It’s Groundhog Day with this * every summer KT has been going!

He will go when He wants to go as for Arsenal * * a team on the decline if you ask me!

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Keep improving, win the 10, immediately sign a new long term deal and punt to the highest bidder..

Done. KT goes on and becomes a household name and a very rich young man..

11. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

I wasn't properly disputing what you said, I'm well aware of people turning down a massive salary increase, I have done it myself, but equally I have heard countless times that people won't follow the money and then seen it happen to be highly doubtful when I read/hear someone say/claim that.
    As for using Lewis, as an example, maybe using a Mcstay/Larsson would have been more apt though Vert :50:

Aye McGrory was a good example but he is also a good example of a board not being able to force a player out as well :50:

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  12. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

I believe this would have been the unofficial agreement for a while now.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

There will be no agreement in place, official or unofficial IMO.

I don’t think people understand how difficult it would be for him to leave, there’s clearly nothing false in not only his affection for the club but also his fellow supporters.

It would need to be a huge club, it would need to be for huge money and it would need to be seasons down the line.

eire4 and Liam Scales like this.
  14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Or more recently Paul McStay.

I can say without fear of contradiction that if the choice was earning £25k per week at the club I've loved since I was a boy, creating history and potentially on the brink of being written into folklore or £100k per week at Arsenal bumbling about in the EPL. It's the former every single time.

Money isn't everything. The boy is 21 years old and already a multi-millionaire. Lucrative contracts will likely come further down the line.

15. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Aye when you have an unofficial agreement there is nothing official about that, as we all know. Equally though, given his rise, that will have been a consideration imo.

Whit, who said anything about false affections ? I'm sure none of us fail to understand what he means to us/Club and what we/Club mean to him either.

Obviously it would be for a bigger*/richer club, I don't think anyone is thinking he will leave for Southampton, for example, on 15k a week more. By seasons I would think 2, 3 at a push, although I would be more than happy if he done a Mcstay/Larsson. (Yep I could live with the guilt at being selfish that way) One thing is for sure the ball is firmly in his court and if he wants to see out his career here that would be up to KT.

* What is seen as bigger might be debatable right enough.

16. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I also think that society has changed in an important respect: starting with Thatcher et al, they have successfully convinced most people that human nature is inherently selfish. This is a self-fulfilling prophecy, because if everyone else is going to be a selfish, moneygrabbing c***, you'd be a mug not to do the same. Even when your heart isn't really in chasing after the more lucrative offer, people start to think that if most people really are that selfish, they owe to their kids to give them a start that offers some protection.

There's a reason why guys like McStay are much rarer now.

And it doesn't just stop at the money to be made. It's the same thing with the biggest trophies. That's a vicious circle too. The more the biggest clubs in the big 5 leagues hoover up all the best players, the less chance you have as a player of winning the biggest trophies (like the CL) without joining them... so the more likely the best young talent is to join them... so the more they have all the best players... and round and round and round...

For a young guy like KT, who would be an absolute stick on to have done a McStay 20 or 30 years ago, this is now a very tough choice (no matter how much he loves us).

17. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    You can’t say that until you are in his position which, no disrespect your football skills, you never will be.

Saying what YOU would do when you might not and probably don’t have the determination and desire to be a top athlete and first class footballer.
    Their mindset is different from ours.
    Also he will no doubt have people close to him and his agent telling him of all the riches and trophies he could acquire with his ability in other leagues - no doubt wanting a bumper payday themselves.
    He will have pressures outside of the fan base of this club.

18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Of course I can, you've said the opposite that you'd go for the money.

For some money isn't the be all and end all, that's not a slight at you, each to their own but I don't think you can judge things based on your own perspective. I don't think Tierney is money-hungry, if he was then I doubt he would've signed a 6 year deal with us when other more lucrative wages would've been possible.

I don't know if things have changed but his dad used to be his agent. Even if he has hired a professional I can't see Tierney being the type to be pressured into a move by an agent. He's a confident guy that knows his own worth and direction he wants to take.

Also if it's trophies that he wants to amass then he's in the right place

StPauli1916 likes this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    We always hear the "but he's no a fan and doesn't have an emotional attachment so will follow the money" banded about loads on here when it comes to non Celtic supporting player's..

He's living the dream. Has a special bond with the support. Ultra successful. On 20 odd grand a week. Still lives at home I think?

Yes he could go and earn more but it isn't a bad life for a boy just turned 22, is it :50:

Seán Mac D likes this.
  20. DoTheBroony

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kristoffer Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of Honour, BBB
    Last night at the bar I made a $100 bet with my Arsenal-supporting friend that Kieran Tierney would still be at Celtic by the end of this summer. Think I'll be safe with that and I was especially confident after a few beers.. but who knows :42: