1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I wasn't talking about him personally. I've been reading a lot of crap being directed at Lenny since he got the job all over social media.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye there’s been a lot of negativity.

However some people like to take criticism of Lenny personally at times and classify criticism as abuse.

That’s a few times I’ve seen the word abuse used when in reality it’s people being critical of his record/the appointment.

3. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Well it's all down to interpretation isn't it. Not all of the criticism I've seen has been constructive.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  4. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Were all Celtic fans and will have a difference of opinion about, players, manager, board and even each other, doesn't make anyone right or wrong its an opinion, I personally don't like Lennon as a manager loved him as a player, for me its a backwards step, will I support him yes 100% will I back him yes 100% will I criticise him for things I think are wrong yes bet your * life on it, and I would hope most will do the same rather than have there Lennon can do no wrong specs on

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

5. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Personally I don't know whether his appointment is right or wrong yet but like you I will back him and like you I wont be slow to voice my concern if he's getting it wrong. He's taken the job and he has a hard act to follow and he must know that. We've been spoiled by success and I have a feeling that if we don't hit the ground running a lot of folk are going to be on his back from the off. I love Lenny but no man is bigger than the club.

Xatraps and cas79 like this.
  6. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I think most will back him, they might not like it but will, iv not spoke to one person that thinks it a good appointment other than here,
    Agree that taking the job shows the balls on him or arrogance, either way I hope he proves me wrong and gets the 10 I'm just not sure he can

7. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Here’s a question. A very hypothetical one mind you, but one nonetheless.

If we did not beat Barcelona 2-1 on that glorious night, we would’ve finished 3rd in that CL group as we only took 1 point off Benfica. Would Lennon’s European record be as well regarded by some? Does it all come down to that one result, even if it not prominent in people’s perception of the overall European experience?

The reason I say this is because Rodgers European record is up for a great deal of criticism. But if we did finish 3rd that year, Rodgers European record/results would be unquestionably better overall unless we did serious damage in the EL.

All hypothetical, of course.

8. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Are you the * that randomly came on here to call Lenny every name under the sun, while Rodgers was still the manager. Or am I thinking of a different * with their non-Lenny specs on ?

9. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    * No's probably

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Does it all come down to one result? No. He qualified for the Champions League on 2 occasions which is ultimately our goal.

Also for the players we had at our disposal under MoN and Strachan they couldn't win an away game in the group stages of the UCL. Lennon did.

We were also 30 seconds away from a score draw at the Nou Camp.

We had our poor performances and results sure but I was far more confident going into Champions League games with Lennon at the helm than I was with the rat. At least we competed for the majority of games.

11. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Thought so.

So forget the Lenny specs *. What is your problem with Neil Lennon?

12. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Iv got no problem with Lennon just don't want him as out manager

13. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fair enough.

I personally feel if you were to look at the average by taking away the outliers I.e. best and worst result under both Lennon and Rodgers, their records weren’t that different.

Also, if we are looking at the games against the top class teams, I don’t think Rodgers results/performance were that different than under Lennon.

Lennon:
    Barcelona x4 - great win; very good performance at Nou Camp; pumping at Nou Camp; okay performance at CP
    Juventus x2 - pumped in both games

Rodgers:
    PSG x2 - pumped in both games
    Man City x2 - 2 very good performances and results
    Bayern Munich x2 - pumping in Munich; very good performance at CP
    Barcelona x2 - decent performance at CP; pumped at Nou Camp

14. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Seriously, Lenny and Rodgers record in Europe is nearly the same? Ffs. We won our first away game in Europe for ages under Lenny, we nearly took points off Barca in the Nou Camp two weeks before the game we won.

What I really don't like is this attitude anyone who backs Lenny are only doing it so his feelings don't get hurt and any criticism of him is taken personally.

That's so close to grasping at straws it's not cool at all. I was critical of folk mentioning Mourinho cause it was just never going to happen but I didn't belittle them, there is absolutely no need to do that when disagreeing with someone, especially fellow supporters.

@Seán Mac D Sorry, just noticed you posted European results already.

Gabriel and Sean Daleer like this.
  15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

You've missed out Lennon drawing with Benfica, defeating Spartak and Ajax.

While under the rat we were comfortably beaten by Anderlecht and Gladbach at home. Literally chasing shadows both games.

Really those are the teams we should be competing with, particularly at Celtic Park.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Wringing. (Sorry baggie)

17. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

You’ve also missed out that Rodgers tried to play tiki taka involving Brown, Boyata and Gordon against some of Europe’s highest pressing teams. Laughable stuff.

18. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    I was just highlighting the games against the top teams in that post.

We beat Leipzig at home in EL; drew against Gladbach away; beat Anderlecht away under Rodgers as well.

We were completely chasing shadows in the game against AC Milan. One of the poorest games I have ever seen from us in the CL given the level of opposition.

I think it is also very fair to say that Lennon had much easier groups in the CL:

Barca x2
    Benfica
    AC Milan
    Ajax
    Spartak

Or

PSG
    Bayern
    Barca
    Man City
    Gladbach
    Anderlecht

19. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    And?

If we are counting nearly’s then we nearly drew with Bayern Munich at Celtic Park under Rodgers. In fact, we went toe to toe with them - total attacking football (one of Forrest’s best games in a Celtic shirt)

We pumped our first ever team away from home in the CL under Rodgers. We drew away against Gladbach.

Our 13/14 season in the CL is about the easiest group you could ever get in the CL and we were pretty poor overall.

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We're digressing a bit from your initial point which was that taking away the result against Barcelona would Lennon's record be as well regarded?

Obviously it wouldn't be as well regarded, beating arguably the greatest club side ever on our 125th anniversary will be a moment remembered forever. But that doesn't mean it was the only good European performance and/or result under him. His record is there for all to see. It's pointless inferring against history.

I can only give my opinion and it's that a lot of the time it felt like we were defeated before we even went on the pitch under the rat. He refused to adopt a more pragmatic approach at times which led to us being on the receiving end of a few absolute doings.