1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Books you've read or are reading

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Kayal, May 28, 2011.

Discuss Books you've read or are reading in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Currently reading Alex Ferguson's autobiography, it's clear how much big Jock was an influence on him.

He said........Jock once told me, when it comes to players "Never fall in love with them, because they'll two-time you.”

Big Jock and Fergie were good pals away from football.

3. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Any good mate ?

6. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Overall I wouldn't say it was that great mate, however I just got it from the library. Each chapter is completely different from the chapter by Jeff Astle's daughter about his dementia, to the one about agents, the women's game. A book about English football really though, one mention of Celtic in the one about foodbanks. Some of the lower league stuff I found interesting but the ones about the EPL and UEFA etc didn't really interest me or tell me anything particularly new.

The Prof likes this.
  7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Dee Brown's amazing book Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. This is a book that really should be as widely read as possible detailing as it does the genocide of the native American population in the 19th century. It is a heart wrenching read in ways but nonetheless so important to read and the author does a superb job with the horrific subject matter as he details the massacres, the forced marches, broken treaty after broken treaty, broken promises and lies and worst of all the utter dehumanization and contempt for the culture of the Native Americans shown.

[​IMG]

KRS-1888, The67Sound and StPauli1916 like this.
  8. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, was pretty good man. Next, I think I'm either gonna read Hings by Chris McQueer, the girl with all the gifts, a book called Papillon (I think it's called) about a guy who escaped from different prisons and stuff or else Good Omens, also by Neil Gaiman and means I could also watch the series which is being pretty heavily pushed on Amazon prime the now. Anyone read any of them and able to recommend?

9. clonbhoy

I have never read Papillon, but the film based on it was a cracker. The fact I have watched the film a couple of times and know the story has put me off reading the book though. He was some boy!

The one that I have enjoyed the most lately was 'Natives' by Akala. That is a man with his finger on the pulse.

neilly1987 likes this.
  10. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Same here. Seen the film but not read the book. Need to give it a read as the book is always better.

neilly1987 and clonbhoy like this.
  11. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Just finished a pile of sci-fi oldies...

All by H.G. Wells.

The War of the Worlds (6/10)
    The First Men on the Moon (7/10)
    The Invisible Man (2/10)
    The Island of Dr Moreau (8/10)

The science is all dated but I totally get why folk said Wells was years ahead of his time. Some of it is scary - in that sense.

Just about to take a complete change of pace and style and move into Irvine Welsh - Skagboys.

neilly1987 likes this.
  12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

One of the first books i ever read was The Food Of the Gods, thought it was excellent. :50:

13. clonbhoy

I have 'The War of the Worlds' on my list. I always find the use of the term 'sci-fi' puts me off books that I would probably enjoy.

By the same token, I read 'The Great Gatsby' the other day having always been under the impression that it was merely a decadent novel on a set time and place and was more than pleasantly surprised! I feel it has been very misunderstood, something Fitzgerald said himself when still alive.

14. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

You know? I've never even heard of that one. I'll have a wee look online and see if I can pick it up at a decent price.

15. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I know what you mean, generally speaking I prefer my sci-fi in the cinema. Though Artemis by Andy Weir is worth checking out. It keeps good pace as it was never meant to be one of those space operas.

That's funny. I only just watched the movie during the week and loved it. So the book was possibly in my list for reading poolside over the summer! It was nothing like I was expecting it to be - was quite sad actually (the general theme, not the ending).

16. clonbhoy

I am definitely going to watch the film, but I expect to be disappointed as it is an incredibly difficult work to portray on screen.

I am just not a fan of anything to 'out there', I struggle to suspend reality, but a lot of what is considered 'sci-fi' I have enjoyed. I immediately think 'Star Trek' and 'Doctor Who' rather than 'Brave New World'. I read 'The Man in the High Castle' earlier this year and loved it, for example. Which made me realise I am cutting myself off from things I might enjoy on the basis of semantics!

Fontaine likes this.
  17. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

This book is fuuuuucked up!

18. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    All of his books are * up. My personal favourite is marabou stork nightmares

19. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

After dipping my toes into Wells by reading The Time Machine (thoroughly enjoyed), I decided to go with The Island of Dr Moreau, and thought it was also great. I read it while abroad (along with Lord of the Flies after) so maybe the exotic climate influenced my opinion of both. The one line that always sticks in my mind is "Confound you, Prendick!" . I read that Wells had a keen interest in the idea of eugenics, which certainly ties in with the two novella's of his I've read. I also have 'The Invisible Man', and 'The Sleeper Awakes' in my reading list, so your rating of the former, along with some Amazon reviews is rather off-putting.

My current reading:
    [​IMG]

Nearly finished, and enjoying it. Can see what Huxley & Orwell took as inspiration for their dystopian novels.

20. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    In the mates house working a while ag. He has a cracking horde of books, maybe about 50+ all sports related, just with a quick glance there was the usual big sports and everything in between from darts, cycling, weightlifting and chess (sport :39:).
    Thing is I’ve know the guy all my life and he has never so much as kicked a ball against a gable wall as a kid or swung a golf club as an older man now. Rarely talks about sport bar maybe a bit of NFL. Strange that.
    Might borrow Ronnie Sullivan’s bio or ruby Walsh’s one. Think both would be a decent read.