1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[No Link] Leaked document

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by jambo_cfc, Jun 3, 2019.

Discuss Leaked document in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Now and again I get mad at PL and the board but we don't get to see/hear what's going on behind the scenes. No doubt from a financial aspect PL is doing a great job....he's the money man, but I wish he would just stick to that. He has a great talent for it. The trouble with him is that I have a feeling he dips his fingers into areas that are best left to a DOF/Manager. Hire the best team available to help Lenny or whomever and build on the success instead of continually playing cautious. One has to speculate to accumulate with BR being case in point. I think a clash of egos and Peters over cautiousness halted something good and paradoxically if in 10yrs time we're sitting with an outstanding Celtic village and trebles galore we will be calling him a legend :56:It will all be his legacy because like all the legends before him he will have done so much for the future of the club. Tbf as has been pointed out giving BR an open cheque book might have proved disastrous :56:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Bertie Cauld and Seán Mac D like this.
  2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Where is the missing £60m in the bank? Do you mean turn over of over £100m? That’s not money in bank that’s just what the club brings in

3. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I’m glad we were cautious with signings for Rodgers.
    He signed some utter diddies and if we’d of spunked the 8-10million on players he wanted to then we’d be skint and * anaw.
    Plus Rodgers was backed.
    He might have been backed better if him and his mate Congerton could actually spot a player.

4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yip he was backed that’s correct but did he still not make a profit on player sales also? So in terms of nett spend he spent zilch I am sure!

5. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fair points actually. I think you're right when it came to giving BR money. Problem was BR was used to operating in a league where a few million here and there was chump change. You could afford to have a few lapses in judgement. The point I should have made better was that PL has a history at times of not putting the money out when it would have counted for something ......yet he brought in Eddie!

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We need more fan involvement..

7. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I suspect it is because they are pertty sure the one big revenue stream for us (CL) is going to dry up sooner rather than later. The hotel and flashing lights are a new source of revenue. I think celtic park is going to be rented out for other events, like that rugby cup final, probably concerts etc to generate new funds, so it needs to look as enticing as possible to attract them. Having a hotel nearby would help with that as well.

ChrisMoh and Artorias like this.
  8. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    That will never happen as long as Lawell is in charge

9. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    At least on the bright side we won't be buying any of the players mentioned on the document now, thank *

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

That is good business foresight and planning but it shouldn't come to the detriment of the football team. The pile of cash we're currently sitting on suggests that doing both isn't outwith our capabilities.

The big revenue stream of the CL is one that we have failed to achieve in 3 out of the 5 last seasons, despite being seeded in all draws and having a 2nd bite of the cherry in 2015/16 when Legia Warsaw were pumped out for fielding an ineligible player.

Last season we were beaten by a seriously poor AEK Athens side that went onto be beaten in 6 out of 6 of their Champions League group stage games. We were then comfortably beaten by a Salzburg side that are operating on a similar budget to ourselves in the Europa League group stage. Then soundly beaten in the Europa knock-out phase by Valencia.

On the back of all this our CEO has recently said no major rebuild is required and that “I think people are maybe overestimating what we need to do or overstating it." Alarm bells are ringing.

11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I'm not arguing against any of that. I was merely saying why I think money is being spent on those areas, I've never said we shouldn't be spending on the team as a priority.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, didn't mean to suggest you were mate :50:

Lupis likes this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

What about the McGinn fiasco?

Blochairnbhoy and Jeannie960 like this.
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Lawell will deserve credit if Lenny steers us to the 10, but after that he should leave and the club needs new ideas and direction, especially in footballing operations.

Bertie Cauld likes this.
  15. Tomas

How many more times will someone mention the Mcginn "fiasco". Let's get it right, we didn't sign him, however, if John Mcginn wanted to be a Celtic player, then he'd be here playing for us. He decided to go to A Villa and that was his perogative , Celtic most definitely were slow in the pursuit of him but Mcginn chose to go elsewhere. Good luck to the player and I wish him every success , but can we stop dragging him up as the one that got away.

Tim-Time 1888 and CheGuevara like this.
  16. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    I thank him for the financial position of our club and for the recent success but everyone has a shelf life and I think his time is up. Imo he's holding us back with being overly cautious and too pragmatic. We could have had champions league football last season if we only spent in a few key areas. Instead of saving us money he actually cost us 10s of millions by not qualifying.

callumrae1967 and JC Anton like this.
  17. Sydneysider

What fiasco ? He wanted EPL football and hes got it .

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Because it's another example of how poorly we operate at times.

We had bids of £1 million and £1.5 million rejected while Aston Villa were on the brink of administration and unable to bid for players. We were then hoping McGinn forced the issue by causing unrest and forcing a move or Hibs becoming desperate and coming back to us with a counter-offer, they didn't.

Aston Villa then get out of financial trouble and bid the £2.7 million that Hibs wanted, which we then match as he is already on his way down to England.

There's a difference between driving a hard bargain and turning every single transfer into a saga to save money. Given our matching of the bid we were obviously happy to pay it but by then the horse had bolted and he had been flashed a £23k per week offer that we were unlikely to match.

19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I think it's quite naive to believe if we offered 2.7 million first hibs would have accepted it.... No matter what we offered hibs would have knocked it back knowing down south would cone in with a offer they used ourselves as a bargaining tool

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

Tomas, Sydneysider and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Should have been a Celtic player, Lawell thought he could continually low-ball Hibs.. If you think PL handled that well you're delusional. Regardless if PL and Rodgers relationship was beyond repair at that point, he should have been a Celtic player and we missed out big time.