1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lennon - Will his planned formation dictate signings?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TIART, Jun 2, 2019.

Discuss Lennon - Will his planned formation dictate signings? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I wouldn't say it's outdated.

It's less prevalent now as you need the correct players to execute it well. 2 strong CBs, a good DM, wingers that are strong offensively and tactically.

Leicester adopted a 4-4-2 when they won the EPL. Every one of them played their part but Fuchs & Morgan were the solid backbone, Kante and to a lesser degree Drinkwater mopped up things in midfield that then gave more licence to Mahrez, Vardy, Okazaki.

Right now our personnel would not suit a 4-4-2. We're not solid enough defensively and don't have a DM in the mould of a Kante/Wanyama. We'd need a new RB and a striking partner for Edouard (I don't think he grafts enough to play on the left in a 4-4-2, we'd be overloaded in midfield every game) Rogic couldn't play anywhere in that system really.

TIART and Lilac Wine like this.
  2. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It is outnumbered, but 2 strikers make up for it. Make their CB-s sweat it every time we have the ball in their half.

3. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

If the strikers can link up well yes or they can go man for man in the middle and drop a defence mid in to help the centre backs, 442 you are relying on the width and then the work rate of the strikers, works great for counter attacking teams.

4. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Aye exactly as I said you need the right players and system to make it work, only way it would work with us would be McGregor and Christie in the middle but then we have * all height in the middle.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

How often under the rat did we dominate Lennon's Hibs midfield 4? Not that often that I can recall.

In fact Hibs was regularly stated as the team that gave us our toughest game.

As has been said we'd need different personnel to execute it well but with them you can be sure the likes of the huns or the diets wouldn't be dominating us physically. It's embarrassing how soft our midfield 5 can be at times.

6. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Haven't all the best teams changed tactics to suit the opposition? Maybe naive but surely a player that went through all the trials and tribulations of development can play most positions to a suitable level?

I don't understand formations but I'm convinced they are only relative and most games rely on the vision and movement of players.

7. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

They played a diamond, which against us can work great at places like Easter road with narrower pitches and under Rodgers we never played with a lot of width or use our wide players, a lot of our play was through the middle.

8. murphy88

Looking like he will go 3-5-2 in my opinion based on our transfer activity so far. Jullien will go straight in and both Simunovic and Ajer were outstanding in the run in and I don't see either being dropped. Now linked with Jack Stacey who appears would be a good option as a wing back with Tierney on the other side should he stay.

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think 3 5 2 for the first 2 qualifying matches but that will likely be as a must do than anything else. Shved, Forrest or Hayes can play as wing backs so should be fine. I suppose you could put connell out there too.

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Bain
    New RB Ajer Jullien KT
    New DM McGregor
    Forrest New 10 Johnston
    Edouard

Bain
    New RB Ajer Jullien New LB
    Ntcham McGregor Christie
    Shved Edouard Forrest

New GK
    Ajer Jullien Simunovic
    Brown
    Forrest Rogic McGregor KT
    Griffiths Edouard

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Rydo1888* likes this.
  11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The only thing about a 3-5-2, is that it doesn’t get the best out of Forrest who has been our most creative force..

So many options..