1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

(IMO) Our Obsession With 10IAR is Halting Our Progress

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Cupid Stunt, May 30, 2019.

Discuss (IMO) Our Obsession With 10IAR is Halting Our Progress in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Totally agree. Have seen several posts in the ilk of not wanting European football or to win the cups (quadruple treble specifically) because of some arbitrary target of consecutive league titles. Some people are actually wanting us to rest players in these competitions which I think is ridiculous to be honest.

We need to be progressing in Europe and we need to make an effort at winning the cups again (quadruple treble, specifically).

The league title is the absolute bare minimum as a Celtic manager. Any manager who did not win us the league would face serious question marks over their ability.

Cups and Europe are a key yardstick.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I have to admit, in order of priority it would be league > Europe > domestic
    Cups for me.

People are quite rightly saying how important it is to play and progress in Europe, but in order to do so we simply need to win the league.

3. Sydneysider

..And keep winning the League ! its a financial disaster for major clubs not to qualify for either the CL or the Europa League

More importantly, players with potential will not come to Celtic unless theres the chance to "showcase their talent" in Europe

( Even pre EPL days and the obscene money now involved), European Cup or Cup Winners Cup games were the pinnacle for players, that's why the scum were able to recruit so many EPL players after the Heysel outrage

4. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    To be honest Id be worried if we weren't obsessed with 10 in a row. We have an incredible opportunity to achieve it, we will never get this chance again in our lifetimes.

5. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Totally agree. Build a team capable of competing,to an extent, in euro competitions and that team will walk the league.

History repeats itself with our board though, every time we have a chance of progressing from a position of strength and we see the board doing the opposite.

6. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Too often the thinking is just to be better than Rangers or directly comparing ourselves to them.

If we constantly try to operate and perform to the best of our ability then we would have been pulling ahead.

But it really must be said that in recent years, from a non playing staff perspective, we really have not been performing anywhere near to our potential- Id say with the exception of Rodgers first season.

The board get away with it because our books look good and we have been winning the league. But it doesnt really tell the full story.

7. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

good post mate

we have won 3 trebles in a row but each season we our performances have gotton worse

is the obession with getting to 10inarow fatiguing the players mentally and physically or are we just playing our first 11 into the ground because celtic must win every game domestically

our 2nd team should be good enough to beat most of the league relatively comfortably but rarely does therefore either they arent good enough or they are not getting played enough to get into any sort of rythm which i think is a fair point

also because we get pumped in europe due to the massive tv money in european football and pish money in our tv deals, im sure that hits the confidence of our players, this is a very difficult part of the celtic coaching job now playing smaller equal size european teams than us, that have more money and more expensive players than us and then raising our game to the highest it can go

undoubtedly we find raising our games to the highest level and being consistent in europe very difficult, and we dont get great preparation as the teams in the league really arent anywhere near our level

for the past 2 seasons but especially that last one every team we play bar sevco play anti football and stifle the game, they only try and hit us on the counter and defend their penalty area for 90minutes no wonder our tv deals are *

these are difficult problems but i dont see why we should have tons of midfielders 6 or 7 spare that get hardly any games and not some good (not brilliant) but good solid back up fullbacks or central defenders, yet we have been like that since forever we never have decent back up full backs or decent back up wingers for that matter, we have a strong 11 and maybe 4 or 5 decent squad players and the rest are probably aberdeen sevco hearts standard unfortunately :(

Lilac Wine likes this.
  8. jj81

Apart from getting my titss ripped off

Winning a historic treble creates negativity

The only thing stopping 10 is the board , back Lennon it will happen

9. jj81

I dont purchase the Celtic view

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Since when has winning league titles become arbitrary? :56:

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I can’t think of a single fan that only wants us to win the league, by the way. We all want as much success as possible, especially in Europe.

I don’t think an ‘obsession’ with ten in a row, has anything to do with our regression. It’s got a lot more to do with Rodgers’ actions (or lack of) in the previous transfer windows, along with other factors such as injuries.

I can understand someone thinking the pressure of trying to win the 10, will play on the players’ minds, but three trebles in a row show this squad’s resilience. The impact of some signings in January gave us the boost we need, so I hope Lennon and co. can spot some quality players and bring them in.

Where I would agree, is criticism of the board’s reluctance to spend. Fair enough they brought in Edouard, but the haggling over John McGinn cost us a quality addition.

12. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    When Big Billy lifted the European cup,the Huns hated it then and they still despise it now because we keep celebrating and reminding them(and rightly so :67:).There was pressure on the club,players,supporters then to be the first in the country to lift the ultimate prize...but the Huns were ready to gloat big time,if we didn't succeed.Its the same now!!!

10iar talk has its pressures on us as a club and is/will have a similar crushing impact on the present Sevco generations,...I so want it:57:.
    I know the Huns want us to fail.
    That's why we should keep celebrating and reminding them that the Treble Treble is a first and how it's an amazing achievement and basically GIRFU them at every opportunity.......If/when we get to ten then it's a bonus and we taunt them again with our records and achievements.
    'Pressure!!!'.....we live and breath it!
    To any lurkers :93:.......
    We will always have the Big Trophy and the Treble Treble ya Zombie *....yer clubs deid:56:

Lilac Wine likes this.
  13. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Or....Did we regress slightly and not overspend due to the board knowing Rodgers was going to * off at the first opportunity?

This summer is a massive one for the club and it needs to be nailed on.

Are we obsessed with the 10? In some ways yes.
    Has it halted our European adventures?
    No really considering we've been in Europe after new year last few seasons. Fair enough getting a tanking along the way sometimes..

14. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    Well said. We should be setting the bar much higher than just beating * spl teams

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Completely agree.

16. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I don't think so. There is certainly an argument to be made that the money men are willing to do just enough to stay ahead of the huns.
    Frugal is the word I would use, a policy which has contributed to our last couple of * transfer windows. Although as we all know there were also mitigating factors which contributed to them also, Congerton, short loan deals, unrealistic managerial targets and so on.
    We have found ourselves in a fantastic position to complete the 10 but I dont believe it has been a major factor hindering our European progress.

For me its money.
    My belief is that it is money that is holding us back. Not entirely the boards unwillingness to spend it but the way the football world is now run by big money. We cannot compete with relegation fodder in the EPL for transfer fees and wages, and it's getting harder each year to compete with championship clubs who's budget is increasing. I despise the EPL and beginning to hate all the major European leagues now aswell as they're getting as bad with reckless spending. 16 of 32 group places in the 'Champions' league go to the top 4 countries, that in itself is outrageous, there are only 6 places, six, available for teams to qualify. There are massive clubs all over Europe with long and rich European histories who will struggle to hit the group stages let alone win a Euro tournament. Money is killing the game. And unfortunately I don't see it changing.

17. seanbee01

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    Nowadays even some decent players are going for 10 million plus never mind good ones its leagues and teams like ours who pay the price for the rest of the money teams/leagues over spending, our focus should be our academy and scouting networks so we can unearth gems such as the wanyamas VVD's it may suck in some folks eyes but sadly its just the way it is gone are the days where we can pick upna Chris Sutton John Hartson or Neil Lennon for 6m

Lilac Wine likes this.
  18. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ex
    Who said winning league titles is arbitrary? The crux of my post stated how winning a league title is the absolute bare minimum at Celtic in the current climate.

Putting an arbitrary figure on how many league titles we want to win and using that as the ultimate yardstick is inherently restrictive. So what happens after 10IAR? Just hand the title over to the Huns for a few years? Some of us want to be doing better than just the minimum.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You.
    10 in a row, in Scottish football, is not arbitrary and you know it. It’s potentially historic.

Everyone wants to do better than the minimum. Everyone connected to the club wants to win every title, but the significance of winning ten in a row shouldn’t be lost on anyone. It isn’t an ‘ultimate yardstick’ by any stretch of the imagination.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  20. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Winning league titles is not arbitrary and 10IAR is very important; however, setting a pre-determined figure on the amount of league titles we need to win in order to be judged as successful over the next few years is, indeed, arbitrary. Why should we be content at just 10IAR in the current climate?

For many, 10IAR is the ultimate yardstick. That is why many have stated that they want to play fringe players in the cup and I’ve actually seen people of the opinion that Europe does not matter this season. That is such a restrictive and unambitious opinion to hold.