1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How much will be spent?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by bhoy81, May 27, 2019.

Discuss How much will be spent? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

There's absolutely no excuse for not spending at least £10m. £40k a week off the bill and £9m compo for Brendan. Cheap option in Lennon to replace him.

Get the * finger out.

2. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
  3. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Sinclair aswell

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

4. oh bhoy

As usual it won't matter what is spent if we get what is needed and going by every transfer window since lawwell has been here we will be short in some department. Lennon already said a striker is the priority ????? When it's blatantly obvious a new defence has been needed for years.I think ntcham will be sold and will spend whatever we get for him

5. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    12.50 (pounds) in other news ..

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

1 million less than both those.

7. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I might be wrong but I think TV deals at the time had been quite favourable. Not sure if this is right but wasn't this around the time we had the setanta deal?

Perhaps it's a case of we got the money in the bank for signing fees but the wages that come with it would be the obstacle in spending that kind of money in today's world

8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It will come down to the boards ambitions.

Last summer Rodgers wanted 4 players:

Odsonne Edouard £9m
    Fabian Scharr £3m
    Christian Piccini £7m
    John McGinn £3m

Total outlay of £22m bear in mind we brought in

Erik Sviatcheko £1m
    Stuart Armstrong £7m
    Virgil Van Dijk £7.5m

Total income of £15.5

Would have resulted in a net spend of £6.5m and Lawwell wouldn’t do it!

Now is that because he got wind Rodgers was trying to work his ticket or not? * knows but looks like bad management last summer now.

Even if you still sold Dembele on the last day you would have been £13.3m in profit!!!!

Furthermore the acquisitions of

Bayo £2.3m
    Shved £1.5m

In winter would leave

£9.5m profit excluding loan fees for

Benkovic
    Burke
    Weah
    Toljan

instead we signed * and our profit from player trading to date this season is:

£16m stashed in the bank with the other £40m then add on the £10m for Rodgers, Davies, Driscoll, Toure and congerton!

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Our turnover in the 2000/01 season was £42 million and our total TV revenue including European games was £9.9 million.

There's no doubt wages have increased massively but so has our turnover.

Lawwell's famous line in the past has been: ‘In terms of investment our policy our commitment is that every penny that comes into the club will be reinvested, it will go back into the club. I do not think we can be clearer than that. There is no pile of cash sitting there that we could look at, watch, feel and touch. It doesn’t exist. It is fantasy.'

That was 5 years ago. We now do have a pile of cash sitting there that we can look at. It's in the accounts, it's undeniable. Every penny coming into the club is not currently being reinvested. Get it done, there are no excuses and there will be no hiding place for the board if we don't back Lennon to the hilt.

10. BhoyInGreen1967

There`s no reason not to spend money! Because if we spend 10-15 million for some quality players to reach the Champions League group stages we´ll make profit anyway, because the money for reaching the group stages is huge.. But I am not sure Peter realises that:fear:

11. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Makes for interesting reading that. From what I read we have near in £50M in the bank right now but that has been built from the last couple seasons hasn't it? And am genuinely asking there. I don't know the answer. But if it has taken 2/3 years to build that £50M. Then the 2000/2001 season was actually a monsterous income, again just going off the figures you given us there

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It's very likely we have over that figure to be honest, given the season ticket renewals, League & Cup prize fees and Pro14 final income. Some of that will obviously be required for working capital throughout the season but there is money to be spent. If we have any aspirations to qualify for the Champions League and bank the £40 million + it would bring in then we need to do our business effectively and efficiently. The current squad is not making it through 4 rounds of qualifiers, that's abundantly clear.

Lilac Wine and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The Lenny appointment was in order to spend less.. Lenny needs to be as tough as possible in negotiations, but even then a Lawell assurance means little in any case..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  14. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

It's interesting we are still waiting for confirmation Lennon has signed the contract. Hope he is driving a good deal for the club. As I said in another thread, Lennon is in a strong position here. Lawell comes out immediately after the cup final and tells everyone Lennon has been offered the job. Lennon can demand a decent transfer kitty in my eyes. Lawell would be made to look foolish if he had to tell everyone Lennon hasn't take the job because the club will not provide the funds for a rebuild. Particularly when the fans know the money is there to be spent

15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    A rebuild is required but I don’t think we ‘need’ to be spending £15-20m to do it.

If we’re smart, which is unlikely, we could do it relatively cheaply.

16. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

With the money from the rat and his team then Moussa sold and reducing the wage bill with lots going out plus cash from selling on Sinclair, Gordon, Bitton, Ntcham and Hayes I think we will spend 20M.

Simply because it is needed, we need to add some quality and freshness. Then also bring through the likes of Henderson, McInroy, Church and Welsh.

17. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

We do need to, Ntcham cost 4M and that’s the quality we need or more but with a much better attitude. It’s time to step out the bargain basement and buy in ready quality.

18. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    How much will be spent? As little as possible. As usual. We'll spend a couple of million each on 1 or 2 players with any other players coming in being loan deals. We'll be told the squad doesn't need much changing, we'll also be told any new signings will have to be better than what we already have but then we'll bring in cheap options who aren't better than what we already have(see Hayes, Johnny. Hendry, Jack. et al). The (impending)appointment of NL as manager told me all i need to know about the board's ambition for the foreseeable future.

19. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    O’Donnell, Harper and that centre half Lennon was apparently watching in France wouldn’t be the worst start to the window. Only want O’Donnell if lustig leaves though.

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Relatively Cheaply is Lawwells middle name