1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Players That Played/Play For Republic Of Ireland

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Lord Of The Manner, May 23, 2019.

Discuss Celtic Players That Played/Play For Republic Of Ireland in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Lord Of The Manner

Just trying to think of any Celtic players that have played for the Republic Of Ireland from the 2015/2016 season onwards, I can only think of 2: Anthony Stokes and Jonny Hayes, are there any I'm missing?

2. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Okoflex played for Ireland u 16s

3. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Think you’re correct regarding senior international caps from 15/16 onwards

Eoghan O’Connell never got a senior cap but played U21s for Eire around 2016

4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aren’t the three mentioned the only Irish players we’ve had in this period anyway?

5. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

I'm sure I've seen Kouassi draped in a tricolour a few times. Appears on his social media from time to time as well

6. Murph-E

Couldn't afford Coleman or Long's wages, so other than that, who all would you really want these days?

McClean, Randolph, McCarthy, Brady, Hendrick- all a maybe? No big standouts anymore. I'd love McClean for the craic, but I'd rate Sinclair above him as a player for sure. Hendrick and McCarthy are both good at CM, but would you have them above Brown, McGregor, Ntcham and Christie?

Randolph I'd take.

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Sadly there is very little quality in the Irish side right now. Probably the worst Irish team now and in recent seasons since the 1970's quality wise. If money was not an issue and you looked at what we need as a team right now the only 2 Irish players I would be excited about us signing would be Matt Doherty to play at right back and Shane Duffy to play at center back.

8. Mr. Slippyfist

It's certainly THE worst group of players I've ever seen for ROI.

clonbhoy likes this.
  9. clonbhoy

As an Ireland fan I can assure that Hendricks is * dreadful. The hide and seek champion.

Our squad is atrocious. We have two good right-backs, a couple of decent defenders, a decent goalkeeper and absolutely nothing else.
    There is hope in the underage sides, thankfully.

brads-bhoy1888 likes this.
  10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I wish I could disagree but it truly is a dreadful Irish squad which for me without doubt is the worst since the 1970's. The GK situation is actually decent and there are some decent defenders in the team but after that O boy it is pitiful how bad we are

11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Daryl Murphy

12. Mr. Slippyfist

Took a major hit with that * Rice switching over to England, but hey ho.

Aye, GK is ok - Randolph is a decent no.1

Funnily enough RB is the strongest position in the squad with Coleman and Doherty.

CB - ok. Egan and Duffy should be the two in the middle.

LB is poor as *, unless Cunningham ups his game. I'm not a fan of Enda Stephens.

Midfield - meh. Hourihane and Hendrick have to be the two CMs, Arter behind them. Wingers are atrocious (apart from McLean, but even then he's not very good)

Up front is probably the worst - bad day when David McGoldrick is probably McCarthy's no.1

The under 21s need to be looked at now for the next group of players to come into the senior squad - O'Hara and O'Connor of Man U, Mulumbuy and Connolly of Brighton, Connor Ronan and maybe the boy Eblouzidy.

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Kolo Toure

lol

14. The Lord Of The Manner

Yeah sorry I didn't make that clear that I only meant senior players. Daryl Murphy left Celtic in 2013, I'm looking for senior Republic players that have played for Celtic from the 2015/16 season onwards. So am I right in thinking Stokes and Hayes are the only 2?

15. Murph-E

Stokes only played for us twice in 15/16 and didn't earn any Ireland caps in that time.

16. clonbhoy

Stevens is a fine player, but he is now very much a wing-back and not a full back.

Hendrick and Hourihane can not play together against decent teams. Both go hiding for a huge periods of the game. McClean shouldn't be near the starting eleven, I wouldn't even have him in the squad.

Molumby is nowhere near ready, I don't think any of them are. Connolly at Brighton is probably the closest to being ready. There is a huge gap between playing youth and under-23 football and senior football.

I think we should have wrote this campaign off though and start bringing them through, but having a few games in Dublin at Euro 2020 has meant we are going all out to qualify when we are well behind Denmark and Switzerland. We will need a colossal amount of luck.

17. The Lord Of The Manner

You're right but I'm not really botherd if a player didn't appear for Ireland in that time, I'm just trying to figure out which senior Republic players played for Celtic in the period 2015/16-present. Stokes didn't play much for Celtic in the period I mentioned but he does have Ireland caps and he did still play for the Bhoys in 2015/16 so he counts, Hayes also counts, but are there any more?

18. Murph-E

Aye 2015/16 was after Stokes got his caps, and before Hayes joined Celtic, but since then Hayes has been the only Celtic player capped at senior international level for Ireland.

19. The Lord Of The Manner

Okay cheers for your help mate!

Murph-E likes this.
  20. The Lord Of The Manner

How about a list of every Celtic player capped by the Republic Of Ireland at senior level, here's who I've come up with myself:

- Charlie McEleny.
    - Patsy Gallagher.
    - Frank Collins.
    - Peter Kavanagh.
    - Benny Gaughran.
    - Sean Fallon.
    - Charlie Gallagher.
    - Paddy Turner.
    - Joe Haverty.
    - Jackie Clarke.
    - Packie Bonner.
    - Pierce O'Leary.