1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikey Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keano88, May 6, 2017.

Discuss Mikey Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don’t really disagree. I was raging we didn’t put him on loan this season.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    This is the dilemma..

I'm also reluctant to send Henderson out now as I think we have an unreal talent for the middle of the park next season that could start a helluva lot of game's..

Tommy25, FranceCelt and Seán Mac D like this.
  3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    It was strange he never got it in January to an spl side for 6 month..

Liam Scales likes this.
  4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Think Hendo is different personally because I could see him easily racking up 15 or 20 games for us next season if used appropriately.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye he's still very slight but I think he could fill out a lot quicker than Johnston....plus playing in a midfield around protection where he isn't being man marked..

Hard no to get too carried away but he looks like the final piece centrally that we could've used a lot during this season to be honest..

Got some real gems on the fringes anyway..

JML67 and Seán Mac D like this.
  6. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I’ve actually found MJ to be very frustrating but that’s probably mainly due to him being chucked into big games without having a whole lot of minutes under his belt, and then expecting him to deliver.

As has been proven with the likes of Christie and McGregor, sometimes it will take time for a player to find himself in first team football particularly at a club as big as ours.

He definitely has a lot of ability, would put serious consideration into loaning him out until January just to see him get a proper run as playing games at that age is crucial.

Exciting stuff with the likes of himself, Henderson and Dembele coming through.

ChrisMoh, neilly1987 and PaulM1888 like this.
  7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

You need a strong team that's performing well around young players to help bring them on, Mikey hasn't had that.

To throw him in at the deep end up top on the 29th December then proceed to punt long balls up to him with no support at all from Sinclair, Forrest and Ntcham was absolutely criminal. That could have destroyed his confidence and set him back in his development.

The wee guy has got it, I'm completely convinced by that. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a prospect breaking through into the team, possibly having to go as far back as McGeady actually. Next season is crucial, he needs game time. If it's with us then it needs to be in a strong team that can talk him through games. If it's out on loan then we need to pick wisely to make sure he's both playing regularly and being tested.

8. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I still think rodgers intended to get beat. It's the only way I can justify our tactics that day.

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Not outwith the realms of possibility.

JohnJames ran an article 48 hours before our game at Tynecastle and gave the full starting XI and said the reason he was doing it was to show the lack of squad depth. A team featuring Hendry, Hayes, Kouassi & Gamboa then got beat 1-0. If true then it was a ridiculous message to send....he signed every single one of them!

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

MJ: You've always got to be ready when called upon. I'll be ready for Saturday."

MJ on his performance at the weekend: "It's great for my own confidence. To play at Celtic Park and score a couple of goals is always great."

MJ on another Hampden test: "The fans are always unbelievable for us and the team has delivered when playing there in recent years. We'll go in trying to do the same again."

MJ on next season: "Hopefully I can become a regular. You've got to earn it and got to play well enough to stay in the team."

MJ on his future: "I've got 4 years on my contract. My future is here

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Lads certainly got hunger, belief and potential ability.

He needs to work hard over the summer,maybe bulk out a little (not always needed but could be good for him) and try to impress pre season.

We got to give him a decent run out in preseason and see if he is up to speed for being a rotational player next season, any doubts that he may not get enough game time then we must loan him out to a fellow spfl club (or English championship side if we could).

Another year only playing a handful of games and 10min sub appearances won't do him any good. He needs some sort of regular game time to develop further now.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He tried like * yesterday, was quite bold. Good experience for him.

Hope Lenny’s took him aside and showed him how tracking a run into the box could have prevented the goal we conceded though. That’s how the young guys will learn, it could have been a harsh lesson yesterday.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Surprised this wasn't bumped yesterday..

Was our standout player first half mainly before he gassed a bit in to the second half..

Anything good came from him. Sat that Smith down on his * and terrorised him a few time's..

He's just gonna keep getting better. Once he's physically more there and once his decision making improves..

Tommy25 likes this.
  15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I’m in two minds on whether to loan him or not..

He would defo benefit from regular game time, but conversely he is excellent when teams camp in against us, movement and touch around the box could prove important.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Same..

I don't wanna keep going at Sinclair but this young kid is doing what is expected of Sinclair, who doesn't do it anymore....and that's coming inside and linking up with one two's around the box in tight spaces. A bitof spark and imagination that's badly lacking from the likes of Sinclair..

He'll go either way and go right in behind side's like he did with the diets last week. Much more dangerous to stop when running at you than Sinclair who seriously doesn't know how to beat a man anymore..

I know who I'd rather persist with if it was just a straight head to head between the pair..

If we go out and sign a quality left winger then that's a different story..

Rydo1888* and JC Anton like this.
  17. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    No chance of him going out on loan anyway, started European games, 2 games at Ibrox and a Cup final. Won't go from that to playing for Hibs or Aberdeen on loan.

Tommy25 likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Was our only bright spark in the first half, taking on a man as soon as he could and trying to create something every time, I wouldn't loan him out. Him and Henderson should be getting a lot of game time next season.

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I've done a 180 on loaning him out. I didn't think we should before as I think he has enough about him to be getting game time, but I think he needs more consistant regular game time for his development than he will get here at the start of next season.

Loan him to Aberdeen or a championship side for 6 months and see how he is doing in January. Arzani will be back and Shved will be coming in, along with Forrest, Hayes, Sinclair. I wouldn't be against him getting a run on the left ahead of Sinclair or Hayes, but I just can't see that happening, so loan him.