1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Ralston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CalgaryBhoy, May 12, 2016.

Discuss Anthony Ralston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I’m saying it’s impossible to judge Scotland and Celtic players by some sort of English barometer.

It’s a consistently mental thing that makes zero sense.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  2. Mr. Slippyfist

It's mental considering how many "sub standard" players of that level many times seem to go on to end up going for decent sums of money, and end up carving out good careers in the Championship, low/mid level Premiership, but they're not good enough for us.

3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Well you're arguing against something I never said then mate. My point is that Ralston is not one of those players. Never did I say there are no League 1 or lower Championship players who can make the step up to Celtic.

4. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I don't see what's so mental and nonsensical about it. Ralston may well be good enough for Doncaster but he's not good enough for Celtic.

Officer Doofy likes this.
  5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Let's give him a break and a full pre season under the new manager to see whether he's worth persevering with..

He looked * the other day, and his crossing was beyond awful, but.....I've seen him have good game's for us also..

Random Review likes this.
  6. Mr. Slippyfist

Your point was that you've deemed Ralston to be not good enough for Celtic, and have deemed his level at the scale of a Rotherham, or Doncaster.

I've stated that we've taken players from down there who were at the level of a Rotherham and Doncaster who have done a decent/good job for us.

MY point is that instead of berating a young guy who hasn't even been given a proper chance at RB (and let's be honest he is on the cusp of getting a chance) who has came through our academy and hasn't been spent a penny on, why not give the boy a bit of backing and judge his "level" after he gets hopefully a decent run to show what he can do, instead of judging him after a few appearances that have hardly came consistently as well as suffering a right * of an injury early in his still very young career.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Because it’s completely different leagues. Like, was Shevchenko a ‘Premiership level’ striker? Or Hernan Crespo?

We shouldn’t be judging what players can do for us on England.

Where is Stephen McManus on your English scale? Because I can tell you where he is on ours, he’s a lynchpin that got us through to the CL twice.

8. Mr. Slippyfist

Andy Robertson's level was Queen's Park. Look where he's ended up...

DoTheBroony and Liam Scales like this.
  9. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

There you go again.

What you think I'm saying: Doncaster players will never be good enough for Celtic.

What I am saying: Anthony Ralston will never be good enough for Celtic.

I like Ralston. He puts in a graft and he doesn't make any blatant errors at the back. He'll always have my support as a Celtic player. However, in my humble opinion, I do not believe he is technically good enough to cut it here.

Forget I mentioned the English leagues. That is my point. If he were to leave Celtic, I could imagine him carving out a decent career at Doncaster.

Do you deny that Doncaster is a lower level of football than Celtic? Because that is literally all I'm saying.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  10. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

His level wasn't Queens Park though was it? He just played there.

11. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He’s not going to get consistent game time here, he isn’t good enough to play week in week out for us.

He’d be better off going to an SPL team or League One to develop with some sort of buy back clause.

12. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

McManus was good enough for Celtic. That's the difference. Like I said, my point is that Doncaster are a lower level than Celtic.

13. Mr. Slippyfist

No, you're not grasping what it is that I'm saying here.

I know exactly what you're saying - you think that Ralston isn't good enough for Celtic, and belongs to the standard of Doncaster.

What I'm saying is that we've had players from that level come up here and do a good job.

So in a nutshell, Ralston hasn't had a decent shot of showing what he can do with a consistent spell of football here and deserves a chance. We have a player on our books the now who cost us over £1m, plus wages who was deemed good enough at one point to play in the premiership, played at a high level in the championship, played at a world cup, played in whatever other world competions Costa Rica play in, yet has proven he's not good enough to play for Celtic.

So see instead of us going out and trying to find yet another (at least) back up option for RB, instead of giving one of our own academy players (one who was deemed good enough to be signed on a 4 year contract not so long ago) is mental.

14. Mr. Slippyfist

How do you know he won't be good enough unless he's given a chance then?

It's the same over and over with our academy players - hardly ever given a proper go at showing they can step up to the level of playing for Celtic, then go away and carve out decent careers elsewhere playing alongside inferior players at Celtic, then end up making decent moves.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    But he wasn’t very good for Middlesbrough in the English Championship. So what level player is he on the English scale of things? I don’t think it matters to us.

I get thinking he can have a decent career somewhere not Celtic but just isn’t good enough for us but the full English scale our fans seem to do makes no * sense to us.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye, the one I usually use is James Morrison. Premiership level player his full career. Does that mean that he would have been good enough for us? Nah man, not for me.

17. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I don’t believe he’s good enough from what we’ve seen. I don’t think I’m alone in that. RB is a position I want to upgrade now, not experiment with and hope it works out.

What you’re saying doesn’t happen often. There aren’t many, if any, ex academy players we let go that I’d take back.

Tierney, McGregor, Forrest all took their chance early. Ewan Henderson and Mikey Johnston are doing the same. You see instantly there’s something there. Dembele is a perfect example of that. Ralston hasn’t shown it. He’s had a number of bad games. I’m not one to write players off early but I don’t think he has it in a position we need to upgrade this summer.

18. Mr. Slippyfist

I've honestly can't recall seeing him play a game THAT bad where I've automatically thought he wasn't good enough for us.

I've seen him play some games where he could've and should've been better, but I've seen him play games where he has actually been very good defensively and decent going forward.

My point is that he hasn't been given any PROPER chance to show how good he can consistently be.

Tierney was flung in due to injury, showed some good glimpses and managed to sustain a run in the team due to said injury, and flourished.

McGregor was - to use slaw's analogy - at the level of Notts County - went down there and managed to put in some good performances, and was given a bash in the team by, think it was Deila. Totally evolved as a player under Rodgers.

Forrest was Lennon's pet project - we could all see his potential, but that quickly faded, and if not for the proper coaching and total dedication on his part, he'd have been languishing somewhere in the English lower leagues instead of being a revelation for us recently, and winning POTY.

Like I say, he was deemed good enough to have been given a 4 year contract based on whatever else it was that he was showing away from the first team picture. He's clearly got some talent, but needs to improve in certain areas, that can only be done by playing first team football and learning.

19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Like McGregor I'd rather Ralston went and developed at that kind of level. But I'd sell him with a buy back clause rather than a loan.

We can't guarantee him consistent first team football because he hasn't shown enough to merit that. He's either got to move on and develop for his own careers sake or he'll have to settle for cameo's when our first choice RB needs a rest.

20. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don't rate him.

Poor mans Paul Caddis