1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic’s next permanent manager

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Feb 26, 2019.

Discuss Celtic’s next permanent manager in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Lennon walked out last time because he had "taken us as far as he could", wanted a new challenge etc. That was when his stock was high. People seem to forget that, Lennon left this club of his own free will and is only back because he had been * off by Hibs and we had nobody else to turn to. His stock is at an all time low and he should be nowhere near the Celtic job next season.

You need a reality check mate.

sabzz1888 likes this.
  2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If that had come from any credible poster then I'd take notice. You're all over the shop on more or less any topic you post about.

Gyp Rosetti and StPauli1916 like this.
  3. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Breaking down the points he made above, is there anything you disagree with.
    Denigrating the poster,which isn’t like you, doesn’t do you justice.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  4. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Couple of things I would comment on here. In my post I highlighted a big time name. You then mention Moyes and Clarke and imo are not big time and a move down from Lenny.

To say nothing seems is his fault is just rubbish and I've seen quite a few who aren't totally against lenny heavily criticise him after last week, myself included.

He did get it wrong last week, badly imo, however that shouldn't totally admonish the players from any blame at all.

Ive said before that my main worry with Lenny wouldn't be him but the backing from the board. That's just my view. Your opinion is different.

5. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Moyes definitely has a bigger profile as a manager than Lennon, irregardless of how good a manager he’d be at Celtic.

6. Charlie Cheswick

Fav Celtic Player:
    As a boy,it was Paul Wilson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song.
    * that is so depressing :).Will Lennon give our jaded and tarnished squad the spring back in its step ? I dont think so.The fans as well as the players need a bit of inspiration over the summe and Neil Lennonwont be the catalyst for that.

7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Graham Potter away to Brighton.

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Genuinely, no Celtic fan should be surprised to see the rest of the support use significantly different language when it comes to Rodgers and Lennon. One will be welcome at Celtic Park for the rest of his life, the other will need to wait a number of years before things cool off before he’s welcome back, if he ever is.

Personally I think their European performances are quite drastically different. You have one highly experienced manager, backed financially to an extent we haven’t seen in years, and who inherited a very good squad being outshone by a guy who essentially rebuilt the playing squad on a much smaller budget.

I would say their European performances are every bit as far apart as their domestic performances all things considered.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  9. HailHoopy

Gonna be one long week :(

10. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Ultimately, this highlights my point.

The manner in which Rodgers left should have no relevance to the discussion regarding his performance as Celtic manager. Some are attempting to use language which rewrites what he achieved as Celtic manager.

I don’t think Rodgers was backed well at all, for the record.

(And as a result of football inflation, it should be no surprise that our wage bill is higher for those who like to use that argument.)

11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You specifically mentioned language, not a balanced assessment of managerial performance. It shouldn’t come as surprise to anyone here that the criticism of Rodgers (and some areas of his time here certainly warrant it, the short term approach he adopted more than anything imo) is quite venomous in language, while the criticism of Lennon (his cup record) is handed out with a much more even tone.

The only assessment of how well
    Rodgers was backed should be relative to other Celtic managers. Who would you say was backed better than Rodgers? Footballing inflation hasn’t really happened here. Deila was manager immediately before Rodgers and certainly wasn’t backed nearly as well. Lennon also obviously had to deal with a far smaller budget.

12. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Snake gets every credit for what he achieved domestically for us from me and nearly everyone on here!! Only a fool would contest that.

However the manner of his departure affected the club, us and the players and I feel from that point on that needs taken into consideration. I don't think it should have overly affected the players but I believe it did for some anyway. I think it's totally relevant from that point of view.

13. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Hypothetically
    If Lennon wasn’t here just now, would he even be considered for the job?
    He was brought in as interim, as he was available through circumstance & to stop a knee * appointment.
    If he was still employed at Hibs he wouldn’t have come for interim job, so it suited both parties, nothing more nothing less.
    The club has now had the chance to find the best available (for us ) manager & I doubt it will be him. If he is announced I think they will have been guilty of negligence. But I will support him 100% either way.

robbo1888 likes this.
  14. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    My original post was surrounding the discussion around performance as i was comparing it to that of Lennon.

Part of this post proves my point as a way of demonstrating how history is being rewritten. I am nearly sure that there were plenty of threads on here going mental at the board for not backing Rodgers in the summer. Also, the Green Brigade banner “If you don’t back him you’ll lose him.”

From my back of the * packet calculations, Lennon spent more on transfers than Rodgers did. That is in spite of the funds which we have taken in across recent seasons. *And, yes I know, Lennon had to rebuild the squad*

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'd say he'd be on the 'B list' of candidates with the A list consisting the likes of Benitez, Rose (before he went to Gladbach), Villas-Boas, Mourinho etc.

Then the B list being; Cocu, Clarke, Moyes, Lennon, Coyle etc.

16. robbo1888

This sums it up perfectly for me. Correct me if im wrong, but did he not throw his name in the hat last time round and was overlooked in favour of Rodgers? Whats changed? There are other, better options out there and we have money in the bank. Lennon is the cheap option (not just in wages, but in transfer budget) and I worry that Lawwell would walk all over him again.

We cant afford to take the risk of going backwards over the next two seasons.

For what its worth, Im hoping for Benitez.

17. daschoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    caldwell, hinkel
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Bit of a left field suggestion but since Werder just missed out on Europe I'd like to see us try and get Florian Kohfeldt.
    Young, tactically astute manager who took over Bremen and took them from relegation trouble to missing out on Europe on the last day in 18 months while developing youngsters, setting a club record for consecutive games scored and going unbeaten at home for a year.

scotsbhoy1 likes this.
  18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The point I was quoting mentioned language. Of course the language used to describe a Celtic legend will be different to describe a guy who walked out on us at a crucial stage of the season just a few months ago.

There was definitely a feeling that Rodgers wasn’t being backed well. My point is that relative to other Celtic managers, he absolutely was. There’s a broader point about Celtic managers not being backed, but it’s a separate issue. Nobody in recent years has been backed to the extent Rodgers was.

I would be interested to see these calculations. I had a look in transfermarkt and there was noticeable difference in favour of Rodgers.

19. Pearse67*

If it was going to be lennon surely it would be announced already, stability going into the cup final.

I hope its not although he deserves appreciation for guiding us through a turbulent time.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Brilliant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.