1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic’s next permanent manager

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Feb 26, 2019.

Discuss Celtic’s next permanent manager in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Realistically though, what will the budget be?

Can anyone see us spending 20m this summer? I certainly can't.

I think it will be 7-8m with a net spend of around 3-4m.

This is part of the problem in attracting a top manager.

2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I would guess around £15m, depending on if we make any sales.

The board know the size of the rebuild needed and they know the benefit of bringing in a coach with a big reputation, having seen the effect that the appointment of Rodgers had on performances, ST sales, attendances, etc.

Id also imagine the speculation in the papers of us spending around £10m on a single player are absolute nonsense.

3. Keano88

It was a big result but nobody said it wasn’t?

If you believe beating Spartak is us punching above our weight then fair enough lol

We should be competing with Spartak anytime we play them as we’re of similar standard. Just like if we beat Copenhagen or Basel it isn’t punching above our weight.

4. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    My heart says we will push the boat out and get another Rodgers type manager and give him 15 million to spend.

My head says Lennon will be given the job we will have Zero net spend after selling one or two of our best players.

It’s going to be a long * window.

5. shaunbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    the latest on the raffa situation , just been posted there

"Having spoken to numerous people, this is my understanding of #Nufc / Benítez talks. He, Ashley & Charnley met in London on Thurs afternoon.

"There was no 2nd meeting yesterday, but nor was there supposed to be. Talks are still taking place, but remotely (IE phone, email).

"There has been no great breakthrough, but equally there’s no cause for panic.

"They’re taking through options, proposals, possibilities, which is how it should be. And although this isn’t very sensationalist of me, they kind of just need to be allowed to get on with it."

6. Keano88

Celtic fans opinion > ITV opinion.

BD13C752-224E-4C00-8854-D05C9C8BFF31.png

Officer Doofy and Valhalla like this.
  7. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    To be fair our expectations would always exceed the realities. Even then I would doubt too many expected us to get 10 points. I couldn't be arsed going back but I suspect the Valencia at home was full of predictions for a home win. Even Zenit away I would think many expected us to qualify. I expect us to win the league every year and I'm talking about under Mowbray & John Barnes here.

Seán Mac D and King of Kings like this.
  8. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    It's been dire for 80% of the season imo.

Gabriel likes this.
  9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    With the exception of a few games, i don't think we've really got out of second gear all season tbh.

10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Are you using the fact that some poster will argue that he is the best man for the job and disagree with your viewpoint as evidence of this? I have you to see any poster allude to the fact that any criticism of his tactics player selection etc. is wrong. I would be surprised if many on here defending him would not be unhappy if we gave the job to Benitez or someone of that ilk.

11. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    It seems like Benitez is everyone's favourite, I can't really understand why?

He's done basically nothing for a decade, granted he was astonishing in Europe at both Valencia and Liverpool and was thrown under the bus at Chelsea. Also, he wants to leave Newcastle because they give him a perpetually * budget...am I missing something? Why the * would he go to a far * league for even less money?

I honestly don't think he's the best possible candidate out there. Problem is I don't know who is. Also don't agree that we should solely prioritise the ten and forget about Europe, no reason whatsoever we can't dominate domestically whilst competing in the CL. Rodgers was largely abominable in Europe.

12. Richmal

637CEFCC-3D59-4584-AE72-4729E5190438.png

Ciaran_67 likes this.
  13. HailHoopy

The waiting is torture.

Xatraps likes this.
  14. CountyDownFaithful

Got at least another week to wait. I doubt they will make a decision/announcement before the cup final.

15. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    He's maybe won a lot less trophies the last 10 years but he has been pretty astounding at Newcastle, given their financial situation. You say that he isn't the the man for the job, on what basis? You say this but fail to give your own opinion as to who would be best? You then ask why he would even come... so do you not want him or do you just think he wouldn't come? Any person who wouldn't take Rafa, in my eyes, is absolutely crazy.

There is no reason why we can't win 10 in a row whilst competing in Europe. Absolutely no reason whatsoever. The team has come to the end of a cycle and it needs investment to take it forward and continue it's domestic dominance. But I agree, we shouldn't be prioritising one over the other.

Rodgers managed to get us European football after Christmas 2 out of 3 years and you can forgive him for the year we didn't, given our group in the champions league. Unfortunately he has also overseen some of the biggest ever defeats, but he done well in Europe over the course of his time here, that can't be ignored.

Bertie Cauld and Ciaran_67 like this.
  16. StevieBhoooy!

A lot of people here and elsewhere do their best to combat the belief that our league is ‘far *’.. than the likes of the EPL.

In terms of raw financial numbers yes...but that’s the view of the money-startled media and tourist fans there who interpret success through having expensive players and high wages at their mediocre clubs where just staying in the top flight is the main prize for most.

As for the quality of football there.... it can range from the turgid to exhilarating just like in Scotland.

While I think Benitez is ‘wishful thinking’ .... the low budget at Newcastle (as you pointed out) is the very reason that he could do things at a club like Celtic. Yes, way less money, but we are operating on a different financial scale altogether.
    Relatively speaking .. as the wealthiest club in the league , there would be more than enough potential in the budget to create a team capable of delivering what we want for the next two seasons and more in Europe.

17. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Too many double standards in the arguments used here.

Any criticism of Lennon is considered over the top or unacceptable but similar language attributed to Rodgers seems to be completely fair game.

My perception of their overall European performance is that Lennon’s record has been overestimated and Rodgers’ has been underestimated. Undoubtedly, 12/13 was the best European season of this decade. Other than that, Lennon wasn’t great in Europe. This is reinforced by how poor we were in the following seasons CL.

Under Rodgers, we had 2 instances of European football after Xmas over 3 seasons. Under Lennon we had 1 occasion of European football after Xmas over 4 seasons.

Over the piece, their European records are not as divergent as it seems to be made out.

rickyroma25 likes this.
  18. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Announce Benitez

19. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    WGS had credible opposition(financially doped at that) in the league. He also had to contend with not having the benefit of the Champions route, a route which has made it easier for us to qualify. The latter managers also had the opportunity of picking up coefficient points against diddy teams with the extra qualifying rounds. The fact he is in 3rd position shows the credibility of using selective statistics to compare managers.

Jacob knows and StPauli1916 like this.
  20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Spot on.

He had one fantastic campaign. Hi first two seasons we lost in the EL qualifiers - thankfully Sion got booted out the second time and we luckily got in the group stage. His 4th season, aye we got in the CL - but we got scudded by a bang average Milan side at home on the way to finishing 4th in the group.

People also seem to overlook the fact that out groups have been much more difficult under Rodgers. Barca, Spartak and Benfica is significantly "easier" than City, Barca and Monchengladbach, or PSG, Bayern and Anderlecht.

That's why the "Lenny will get us back to where we belong in Europe" comments are laughable. No doubt we're disrespecting him for pointing out the facts, though.

Valhalla and Ciaran_67 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.