1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic’s next permanent manager

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Feb 26, 2019.

Discuss Celtic’s next permanent manager in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Good post.

Sums most of it for me.

Richmal, Tommy25 and cidermaster like this.
  2. shaunbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    i wouldn't be surprised at all , might get shot down for this but i think id rather him than lennon , i just cant find it in me to trust lennon

Richmal likes this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Would hate it to be Moyes.

Wanted him years ago but not now. And he would only come to us now because he's on his * in terms of options.

Another I wouldn't trust.

johnfife1959 and John Bhoy79 like this.
  4. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    If you take the results since snake left in isolation and a ''big name'' had come in folk would be creaming themselves saying get him signed up and making all sorts of excuses and wanting then signed up!!

Exactly the same if the snake himself had got these results!!

I'm not as convinced with Lenny as much as I was anymore and he's not immune from criticism but no way snake he got it as tight at the start of the season which was * awful compared to what Lenny's getting now!!

johnfife1959 likes this.
  5. john2061

If lts Lenny or moyes then there's no ambition from the board and 10 in a row is a once in a lifetime chance.
    They must get the best coach in and back him with serious money to get the ten .

Twisty likes this.
  6. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Well that's lies

SuperZidane and trackebhoy like this.
  7. SuperZidane

Don't agree - (if we had signed Moyes or forked out compensation for Clarke) and had the O-O draws, been outplayed by Kilmarnock (missing 4 first team regulars) and had the debacle of last week - they would be getting hammered. As has already been pointed out - Rangers have accumulated more points than us since Lennon took over.

We were 8 points clear when Lennon took over - any manager who failed to win the league from that starting point would rightly get slaughtered. I'll give Lennon credit for the Cup wins against Hibs (by far his best performance - 2nd half) and Aberdeen although they did implode.

The performance last week highlighted to me that Lennon's time as manager of a top class club has come and gone. Most notable was that he blamed the players (not unknown for him) and made that ridiculous comment about the first 3 minutes. Nothing seems to be his fault.

He simply picked the wrong team and did not have the tactical ability to change the game to any degree - we were rubbish from the 1st minute right through to the 93rd.

I really hope that we can finish the Treble and NL goes with the fans cheering and his legacy enhanced.

With our financial situation and on the cusp of 9/10 IAR - we can afford a better manager than Lennon. Hopefully - DD is prepared to pony up.

Tommy25 likes this.
  8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Good post. The boldest is what I see as being disrespectful to the guy. You don’t need to try and diminish his past achievements to help strengthen the argument for him not getting the job. What he achieved in his first spell as manager here was excellent given the condition of the club at the time.

Would also mention the baseless accusations about player fall-outs etc. It’s cheap as * to sit here and slate the guy for things that are unsubstantiated. On the one hand he’s a disciplinarian, getting in players faces, on the other he’s organising 3-day *-ups in Dublin before the rangers game.

9. Bighairyboss

I’m not sure which thread to put this in but here goes.

Out for dinner last night and guy I was with was speaking to a player during the week.
    Player doesn’t get a game but he’s in and around the squad. Long story but to summarise Lennon was told a few players who were to play in the old firm game by Lawwell!

10. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    No, he works at a school where alot of footballers send their kids and sometimes gets a heads up about goings on. Didn't say it was gospel just sharing what he told me.

cidermaster likes this.
  11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It isn’t particularly surprising to me. It isn’t that Rodgers had a massive amount to spend (although relative to previous managers, he absolutely was backed), but people underestimate just how little Lennon had in comparison, and how good a job he did first time round.

I would agree that his first spell here shouldn’t be used as a reason to give him the job, but it should lend weight to his case imo. We know a massive rebuild is required in the summer after Rodgers short-sighted approach, and we know Lennon has accomplished this previously (with us no less), so it certainly stands to reason that it should be a factor we take into consideration. What I tend to see from his detractors is his entire spell broken down into one win vs Barcelona, which just dumbs down their argument. Forgot his excellent transfer record,
    Forget him rebuilding the what was the worst team in decades, forget him giving is a bit of a European presence again - we’ll just take the pinnacle of his achievements here and pretend nothing else actually happened.

Football always changing. Personally I don’t believe it’s changed that dramatically since 2012, but it’s too subjective to really say. My complaint isn’t with people not wanting Lennon, it’s with comments diminishing what he’s accomplished here already.

There will be plenty of options in between Benitez and Lennon. The likes of Benitez and Mourinho are the creme da la creme of the managerial world over the past decade or so and would clearly be a big step up. When we look at more realistic candidates it becomes much harder to identify candidates that don’t have a few question marks about them themselves. That isn’t to say they couldn’t do a good job, or better the Lennon, but it becomes a bit more difficult to say. Benitez would be ideal for me and I think most would agree he’s in the ‘no-brainer’ category if it comes down to him or Lennon.

jocksteinupper and StPauli1916 like this.
  12. jambo_cfc

Mourinho has given an interview stating he will be starting back work in july with a club and he is looking forward to the project , obviously doesnt state which club but if it is a project i cant see it being a psg or juventus , maybe us , roma or lyon

13. Celticswede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Just bring Deila back and get it over with. He’ll force the 10IAR over the line with pure sexual prowess alone wearing nothing but his tighty whiteys doing it

Scottybhoy13 likes this.
  14. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Genuinely don't know who I'd rather have between the 2 tbh

15. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    July eh?

We're the only club who actually start competitive fixtures at that time... :fear:

16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Who do we play then ? :43:

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    See if it Moyes. We riot.

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    I suppose it was obviously but its 100% not us as we have a preseason training camp in Austria at the end of june.

20. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    CL qualifiers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.