1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Martybhoy53

The football over the past few months has been dire to watch. Boring turgid one dimensional stuff and no plan B. I was very surprised at Lennon's demeanour at the bigot dome last Sunday. Standing passively with his arms folded instead of giving the players on the pitch a verbal rollicking. I Remember the 90s when the scum were cheating there way to titles but we live in the here and now and i'm afraid that the past few months have not been good enough and i fear for next season if NL is at the helm.

2. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Agree with most of what he said in the press conference tbh.

3. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I find it baffling that people seem willing to ignore how poor we were under Rodgers the majority of the season and act like Lennon has taken us massively backwards over the last ten games or so.:56:

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Thank you.

I've been trying to figure out a good way of saying this for a week now.

All season we have been absolute garbage to watch. Same goes for last season, pretty much anything after October 2017 has been a drag. One dimensional and the same setup/formation/lineup every week. I got that we stuck to it during the later stages of the unbeaten run, but seldom after that ended did we actually change it up. Once or twice, we even showed glimpses of being able to do something different, but Rodgers would return to type quite quickly.

Looking forward to the fresh approach a new manager will bring - for me if Lennon is going to be content on continuing this style of football he aint the answer.

5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We were excellent under Rodgers after the break, he left after we smashed Motherwell 4-1..we were flying. Don't get me wrong there was going to be a lull in performance after his departure, the sheer uncertainty of it. But, Lenny has had plenty of time to get a reaction from the players and in terms of performance, tactics and game management. It's evident he's not the man to take us forward.

It will be harsh on him, no doubt but that's life sometimes.

Twisty, Rydo1888*, Keano88 and 4 others like this.
  6. freitassen

I miss the times when this * would make bullshit up about sevco instead of us

Xatraps and Peej like this.
  7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    For me he is starting to lose some respect, don’t have a go at the fans.

No one is happy with the result, fans are not happy with the way the club has been run if I’m honest. My point being the way they are * penny pinching *.

We never, ever strengthen from a position of strength. Time and time again they have * the club and in turn this has cost us on the pitch and getting into the champions league.

The last 3/4 windows have been a * shambles as well, We have been out of sorts since last summer and thank * them * have not taken full advantage of the situation.

They have got better but we have got worse and that’s down to the men at the top for letting it happen.

Since Lennon has come in our football has been * bar one of two games, fans are frustrated and can see the management * up 9 never mind 10 in a row. I’m not saying it was any better than Rodgers it was getting horrible as well but Lennon is not the answer.

So Mr Lennon take it on the * chin because you have a lot to answer for with that line up, formation and tactics.

I really hope he does not get the job cause we will be * next season.

8. Orsenfelt

For me the difference is that it's understandable to play dull, ineffective football as long as you are trying to play a kind of football that suits the players on the pitch. Under Rodgers it had gotten stale, form had obviously dipped but we knew what we were trying to do and on the days where it worked (Primarily when midfield was freshened up with Christie and Henderson coming in) we immediately went back to playing a good game.

This stint under Lenny we're failing to play a style of football that the team isn't suited to even if it was playing well and that's just not acceptable in a Celtic manager, certainly not now. We don't have the luxury of multiple transfer windows to build his team, we have this team and it needs to keep winning, it needs to play to the strengths it has and those aren't banging cross after cross into French Eddie who's least impressive trait is how he never gets on the end of the them.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Xatraps, Keano88 and Murph-E like this.
  9. DoTheBroony

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kristoffer Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of Honour, BBB
    To the people saying we have been garbage to watch all season before Lennon came in anyway: then why didn't Lennon make it a point to modify the style of the play and commit to real structural changes to improve the football? He's culpable there too, especially if he had genuine ambitions of landing the permanent job when he first came in. It's not like he really tried to implement his philosophy (besides flip flopping the wingers a few times a game:56:) and the result was that it didn't have an impact, which would either show the players are just essentially finished with this season or not buying into Lennon's ideas. He came out right in the beginning and said he didn't want to change anything too much because of how great the team was playing under Rodgers, which was false even then. We can debate whether he did or didn't actually change much (more long balls, more crosses, etc.) but I feel like this line of thinking is counter-intuitive and gives Lennon maybe more leeway than he deserves for his influence, or lack thereof, on our style of play the past few months.

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Same could be said about Rodgers after the undefeated run.
    I'm also not entirely sure how much Lennon wants this job to be honest. Like you say, why hasn't he made bigger changes? He has been very adamant on keeping things as they are, with minor tweaks - crossing more and extra days off seems the overall difference.

DoTheBroony likes this.
  11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Cause we were top of the league and on course for a treble treble by playing that style. If it ain't broke don't fix it - can't blame him for that tbh.

King of Kings and Mince.Charming like this.
  12. DoTheBroony

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kristoffer Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of Honour, BBB
    I agree up to a point but I mean it was apparent to most supporters that something was broken even then. Being top of the league and on course for a treble treble might obscure that but it doesn't negate it.

13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Of course, but it would come back to bite him even harder if he changed our style completely with 8 games to go and he lost the league..

My criticism based on that is that the Huns game was the one where he could've experimented a bit as the league was wrapped up but he didn't even make tactical changes during the game, let alone before it.

Orsenfelt likes this.
  14. Devlin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Just watched Lennon's press conference, he does put over some good and valid points. Social media is a scourge and can filter negativity right through the club. As with the media gripping on to the huns beating us twice trying to spin we're in complete crisis. Yawn, this is now a yearly event, the facts are the huns have achieved * all and will continue to achieve * all.

We've won the league 8 on the bounce and are on the cusp of a historic Rebel Treble, when you take a step back that's some achievement, pretty phenomenal really. Been guilty myself of slating players but hats of to them, they are under immense pressure and have come up with the goods although the football has not been great at times. The end results been the scooping of every domestic honour available to them and yet as fans we've somehow not been happy.

A new manager, a clear out, some fresh hungry faces and we will soldier on continuing the greatness :ynwacelti

bagforlife likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    We undoubtedly have spoiled *'s in our support. Tell me any big/semi big club that doesn't?

That's at least twice now in a matter of week's he's taken exception to the support though. Today about being spoiled and the other week about the criticism being way over the top about our performances..

Almost like a parting shot that he's no getting the job and a bit of the blame game going on recently. I've no doubt the majority no wanting him in and it being pretty obvious that's the case, has had an impact on the board's decision moving forward without him....which I think will be the case..

If I'm honest I find it a bit cringey and embarrassing that again today. Made untold excuses whenever we've dropped points to deflect away from dismal performances as well..

Bit of realism wouldn't go a miss that we aren't playing good football whatsoever and tactically, and personnel wise, he's got it wrong more than anyone would like... no more than himself secretly..

JC Anton, Valhalla and clonbhoy like this.
  16. clonbhoy

He made minor tweaks and it hasn't worked. Rodgers had made a * of this season, but Lenny has to take some responsibility. I had a feeling that the danger would be him falling between two stools, not knowing whether to play his way or Rodgers' way. There are plenty of underlying factors too, not least the uncertainty around next season, but he has to take some responsibility himself. Passing it off on to the fans like this is only making it worse for himself!

The great thing is, we are unhappy with this season!

17. TheHappyLoss

We should never turn on Lenny , guy has given more than any single one of us for Celtic . Don't need to think he's the best candidate as manager but he's Celtic through and through

Rydo1888* likes this.
  18. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He should never turn on the guys that pay his wages either. Respect is a two way street.

Cena and Officer Doofy like this.
  19. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Well said!! I thought he spoke well today!!

That * and Lawwell's egos clashed in the summer to give us our worst start in manys a year. We had a bounce from the end of January but we * needed it with the orcs right in our slipstream. We also had a very fortunate win in that period with Broony at Rugby Park just to show the early season crap hadn't totally vanished. Thank * the gap was so big and the hun's are so bad as i believe this really was their chance. He left us with a team that was just about out of gas and really underperforming for the majority of the season. My own opinion is that some of the stuff aimed towards Lenny has been well below the belt and from very early in his tenure too!!!

I'm not as convinced as i was that's he's the man to take us forward but i still believe he's a lot better than most,if not all, of the realistic candidates i've heard so far.

johnfife1959 likes this.
  20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I find this attitude baffling. Rodgers had us going toe to toe with Valencia away from home with 10 men. Now imagine we went up against Valencia under Lennon tomorrow.

Fair enough that's just one game, but Rodgers had us 8 clear when he left. Also, consistently at Parkhead we would limit all opposition domestically to one or two half chances per game. Kilmarnock were all over us at times under Lennon. Rangers absolutely * destroyed us on Sunday.

Yes, Neil Lennon has taken us massively backwards.