1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic’s next permanent manager

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Feb 26, 2019.

Discuss Celtic’s next permanent manager in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    £84k a week at Newcastle not a chance.

Moyes, Lennon or Martinez for me!

2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

*. Moyes will have to do. Prove me wrong moysiah

3. Jeremie Frimpong

Bielsa (Leeds United)
    Bordalás (Getafe)
    Cocu (available)
    Gallardo (River Plate)
    Jokanović (available)

Valhalla, Tommy25 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I also just checked out his Wiki and stand by my comments. I invite anyone curious about the idea of Moyes to read about his post-Everton record and decide for themselves.

I think I'll take a break from this for a few days. I have tried to treat you and your opinions with respect, but you never seem to do likewise.

If you are right, someone else will enlighten me in a less aggressive way.

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't know how anyone could contend that a 21 year career in football management at Man Utd, Everton, West Ham, Valencia, Sunderland & Preston North End and your sole success was in the old English 2nd Division as a success.

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It's hard to treat your opinion with respect when it's absolutely nonsensical.

I'm not saying Moyes is a great manager. I've already stated we need better than him. Appointing him would be completely underwhelming.

However to suggest he would be more of a gamble than John Kennedy, who has never managed a professional football team before. It's mental.

My last post on the topic as well because it's just a waste of time even debating it.

ThatBhoyLarsson likes this.
  7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Good post.

People are far too caught up into appointing a manager that they believe is forward-thinking and 'modern'. Football is cyclical - what is currently modern will soon be outdated, and what is currently outdated will eventually be modern. I remember a few years ago people in the footballing world were praising Diego Simeone for the development of his Athletico side and the masterstroke tactical game-changer that allowed them to punch well above their weight. The game-changer in question? The 4-4-2 formation.

You rarely see true innovation in football management - and using sports scientists or a few ipads most certainly doesn't count as innovation. Almost everything we see is a slight modification of something we've seen already a number of time before.

We need to realize that it is all well and good having a philosophy and subsequent style of play, but that philosophy, like all strong metals must be malleable when tested through fires and this includes the style of play. I don’t think the various philosophies of managers decade in decade out is very important, I think what is important to have as a manager is a philosophy of winning. This is not just a philosophy that has a system of play that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye; I think a philosophy of winning requires varying systems of play. I don’t want this write up to be a means to the end of discussing clubs and manager philosophies because this encapsulates player relations, the system of play, training methods, scouting network, evaluation of players and evaluation of you as manager etcetera.
    Gandhi; 1967

That's what I would like in a manager - actually, that's what I would like from the club. A coherent approach from top to bottom, one that I fee was missing under Rodgers (at least in the second half of his tenure), as successful as he was. We face a rebuilding job this summer. We shouldn't. We've been winning the league and filling our boots with CL qualification money for at least a decent number of years now. We've had time and space to plan, we've enjoyed the luxury of being able to test out various strategies in a relatively risk-free environment, but yet it doesn't feel as though our approach is coherent. The lack of forward thinking in the last 18-24 months leaves us in a position where we do actually NEED to get things right this summer so secure the 9, never mind the 10. It's frustrating and it does demonstrate a degree if incompetence throughout the club (I've used the term arrogance here to describe our approach to transfers recently, ans I stand by it). A club that finds itself in need of a major rebuild is usually the victim of some external factors - financial troubles, relegation, a higher than average number of successful players leaving etc. It feels as though our own rebuilding job is very much of our own doing.

Lilac Wine and thailandceltic like this.
  8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Real Sociedad, not Valencia. And because context exists. Something you're throwing out the window. I've already said his career has had ups and downs. At no point have I said he's had a hugely successful career.

He did a very good job at Preston and especially Everton. Since then he's failed at Man Utd - but that club was left in a mess post-Fergie and is still a shambles 6 years later. Real Sociedad - He had a good start then fell away. Sunderland - Again, basket case of a club who were on the brink for years and have got even worse again since he left. West Ham - Did well to take them up the table. I count that 3 successes and 3 failures. And I'm not excusing his failures entirely, but at least one of those he was on a hiding to nothing.

Anyway, * knows how I've ended in the defending Moyes camp. I don't want him in charge at all.

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Fair enough mate. We can agree to disagree on his history but we're in agreement that we don't want him in charge.

Officer Doofy likes this.
  10. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Moyes will get it . They wont give it to Lenny now, and they wont spend the type of money needed to tempt a Rafa.

Martinez is a curve ball , I have no idea how realistic that is , alot of factors at play there.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  11. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I want Lawwell to have to personally have to sign off on 84K for Benitez. No expense is too much.

12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I think Moyes will get the Scotland gig tbh.

13. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    If moyes is anywhere near celtic there will be * riots

14. Mr. Slippyfist

*Fingers crossed*

Tommy25, LectersLuncheon and The Prof like this.
  15. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    To the car park:ranting2:. Moyes should be no where near the job.. journeyman manager with nothing of note on his CV. Perfect for the Scottish job

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  16. mayo

I think you talk alot of sense and enjoy your posts but on this occasion, behave...

eddiemcd1888 likes this.
  17. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Journeyman manager. :56::57:

18. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Dont want his as manager but he is twice EPL manager of the season. Thats a pretty big thing for any CV.

19. truedub1916

It has to be
    Chris hughton
    Just listening to the Brighton fans they are devastated - promotion fa cup semi final, survival with arguably the worst squad

He is perfect, perfect timing for us

20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Chris Hughton would be fantastic.

I’m sure people will disagree because he’s not been in the last 16. As daft an argument as any.

truedub1916 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.