1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic’s next permanent manager

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Feb 26, 2019.

Discuss Celtic’s next permanent manager in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Mourinho won a European trophy with Man U.

Keano88, Rydo1888*, MacEwan and 2 others like this.
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Imperative to get someone in that the players will buy into, someone that can command respect and deliver a footballing style that we witnessed in Rodgers first season.

That's what we should be aiming for, otherwise it's totally pointless having money in the bank, invest in a quality manager and players.

3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

If Lennon gets the job after today we are in for a nail biting title race next year. I wouldn't be confident.

Get it * sorted Celtic. There are multiple foreign managers with better pedigrees that I'm sure could be tempted but Celtic. There's absolutely no reason we can't pay £3m+ salary.

Tommy25, Rydo1888* and jj81 like this.
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If Lennon gets the job he’ll make his own signings and the team should look different to what it does now. Worth mentioning regardless of whether folk want Lennon or not.

Lilac Wine, Gabriel and King of Kings like this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Even pay a top manager 5 mil per year for the next 2 years ?

We got 9 mil comp for Rodgers.

7. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I was allowing for that. If we went into next season with this team and Lennon in the dugout with no new signings I would make Rangers strong favourites.

Gladly, we have an opportunity to get a quality manager in and make some pivotal signings. We should be far too much for the * if we play our cards right. There is absolutely no excuse for not getting 9 over the line.

8. Mr. Slippyfist

Aye, plus the £40k+ per week we're saving on Fraudgers' wage being paid out.

Zero excuses whatsoever for not spending the money on a like-for-like replacement. If I hear that it's went into the "club" and we end up with Lennon, then I'm done.

McChiellini.. and Slaw like this.
  9. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Bielsa is surely realistic if Leeds fail to get promoted.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  10. Mr. Slippyfist

Hopefully whoever it is chases that useless * John Kennedy when they get in anaw.

Graeme1888, Valhalla, The IRA and 2 others like this.
  11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Yip?

12. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    The questions you have to ask of Lennon

1) Has he got the tactical awareness to negotiate another league campaign and Champions League qualification and anything after? Going on today's showing I will say he has not. In 90 minutes of football there was 1 shot on goal. Doesn't matter if he hasn't got the players he wants, the tactical side of Lennon is limited and often unattractive.

2) Can Lennon attract quality players from across Europe? No. He might unearth a few talented players but he needs a balance of quality experienced players and players that could earn the club a couple of quid.

3) Lennon doesn't have the backing of the support. I would say it would have been 50/50 before today's game. After many games you do need time to step back and evaluate a loss but there is no need on this occasion. Celtic were destroyed by them quite comprehensively, it wasn't even close. Regardless of the players you have available, you should not be flat lining like that against them! It is quite simply unforgivable.

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I don't have any opinion on him as I don't know what goes on in training but why do you want him gone? I'd want the new manager to have his own team anyway.

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Salary isn't the issue I don't think. It's the transfer and wage budget that a top manager would want to come in.

We were fortunate that the rat was out of a job and had a reputation to rebuild. It suited both parties. I just don't see a similar candidate currently available.

JML67, Lilac Wine and Xatraps like this.
  15. Mr. Slippyfist

Lennon said he'd be relying heavily on him as he didn't want to change much from Rodgers' style.

If Lennon's at fault for any of this (which he is), then so is Kennedy.

Slaw likes this.
  16. MattD

It’s too easy to blame Lennon entirely for the debacle today what with frustrations, but also got to remember he’s the last person in the world who’d want to put in that kind of performance against that lot, especially with the * he’s received over the last few years. So that’s got to hurt badly.

For sure, the tactics were wrong and it is a fact that he is NOWHERE near good enough to be Celtic manager. But the board have to take a long hard look at themselves. This isn’t purely down to Lennon - it’s an accumulation of mismanagement over the last year or so, Rodgers included. They’ve had months to prepare for next season and hire the right man, but it seems like we’re nowhere close to getting an appointment, or at least the right appointment.

It doesn’t even have to be a top dollar elite coach ala Rafa or Mourinho - a manager with a whole load of potential would be great.

This is a club that should be at the forefront of football, with modern methods and integrated ways of working from top to bottom at the club. I’m not sure what their philosophy on a football model is if they’re going for dreck like Moyes for example (I use him as an example as I fear that is now the best we can hope for - and if so, it’s an indictment on the way the club has been run and our archaic football structure).

I was optimistic they’d acknowledged the ways financially inferior clubs (relative to the big spenders) on the continent used a progressive football style with emphasis on developing a top youth system and shrewd transfer acquisitions to gain one over financially superior clubs. Even though Ronny didn’t reach the heights, he spoke a good game and implemented methods (fitness, technique, possession, youth development) that Rodgers capitalised on when he arrived.

Since then, everything’s slowly come apart at the seams. Anti-football coaches like Moyes aren’t going to push our youth in the right direction, and the scattergun approach to transfers the last year or two has been alarming (Rodgers also responsible Here). There’s no consistency or plan there, and they’re not even sticking to any half hearted ideals they may have. There’s no model in place, and no Director of Football to oversee a sustainable football model. Perhaps we are ultimately a victim of our own success, possibly giving too much power to Rodgers to oversee what has become an imbalanced squad.

We’ve literally been making it up as we go along. The next appointment ought to ensure that the manager is just one part of a philosophy with key principles, and not the be all and end all. These principles should be shared from top to bottom - a team and a club that emphasises youth development, attractive playing style, technique, shrewd transfer acquisitions. The hiring of coaches, managers, scouts, sports scientists, data analysts, etc - which ultimately a DoF should have a high level overview of - should all adhere to these principles.

Instead we give too much power to one man; the ‘don’, the man who makes it all happen, the man with all the power - the manager. It’s such an archaic and out of date model and not one modern manager in the game is sufficient in having such a holistic view. We talk of Brendan as a modern coach - yes, modern in his coaching techniques and style but certainly not when it comes to the running of the club and his say over transfers. The latter a detriment to the way modern football works.

The ‘British’ model as you’d say. And what kind of manager do we now expect? David * Moyes - surely the epitome of the archaic old fashioned manager.

The next appointment is pointless if the board don’t look to the future and start bringing this football club and the way it approaches the game into the modern world.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Lilac Wine likes this.
  17. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

Bielsa would be the dream until he inevitably fell out with Lawwell, just couldn't see them getting on well long term.

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    So Clarke didn’t do better than him at Killie.

19. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Lennon has gone to Ibrox as Celtic manager on six occasions. He's won once.

And on the occasion he did win, we went it as serious underdogs - we were missing Brown and Hooper, and he set us up not to get beat (totally understandable and absolutely the right thing) with Samaras playing up top on his own.

I think that's why he probably did better against the Huns as Hibs boss. Whilst as Hibs, he knew he didn't have to take the initiative in those games as the Klan are expected to control the ball and to win. He could set them up not to get beat and hope to create chances on the break. That's what we did on Samaras Sunday and it's what his Hibs teams always did against the Klan.

However, whenever he's had to go to the Bigotdome and actually win, he's bottled it.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    My view is we are not going to get a big name manager in, not one we want anyway. We would probably be best bringing in someone with potential from mainland Europe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.