1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

My only one concern is that the club won't properly back him when it comes to signings.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL Lennon has described Rangers’ disciplinary record this season as “embarrassing” for the Ibrox club and warned his Celtic players not to be “token hard men” in the Old Firm game this afternoon.

Steven Gerrard will be without his first-choice keeper Allan McGregor today after he picked up his side’s 12th red card of the 2018/19 campaign for kicking out at Hibernian striker Marc McNulty last week.

The last meeting between the Glasgow rivals at Parkhead in March ended in an on-field brawl when Andy Halliday, the Rangers left back, lunged at Scott Brown, the Celtic captain, following the final whistle.

Lennon has pledged that his team will take advantage of what he perceives is a major failing in their opponents if the opportunity arises in their penultimate Ladbrokes Premiership fixture in Govan today.

However, he has stressed to his charges, who will only have around 800 fans cheering them on in the 50,000-strong crowd, the importance of not being drawn in to needless confrontations themselves.

“If there is a * there then we’ll prey on it,” he said. “Discipline is important in the game, in this fixture, and our players have handled it very, very well.

“I can’t speak for the opposition, but I think the last game proved there is a lack of discipline within their ranks. And its not just been our games, it’s been apparent all season. It’s embarrassing really.

“Discipline is important. Listen, our discipline is very, very good. It is important we play aggressively, but in a controlled fashion. I want us to be aggressive with the ball and play with a purpose. I want us to affect their back four as much as we can.

It’s very easy (to get caught up in the atmosphere). It is the environment, it is the two tribes, it is the pride, it is all those things rolled into one. If you play on the edge – which a lot of players do and you don’t want to take that away from them - sometimes it is very easy for even the most mild-mannered of players to lose it.

I don’t want any token hard men out there. I want them to be well-disciplined and motivated. There might be bad moments in the game. We need to make sure we withstand that and are a threat at the other end.

“But the players have been outstanding. Their mentality has been brilliant. Whenever we have had a big game they have responded in the right way time and time again. I think they are looking forward to the game as much as me.”

McGregor has been one of Rangers’ best players this season, but Lennon feels his counterpart Gerrard will be able to cope without the former Scotland internationalist.

“He is an outstanding goalkeeper Allan, but I think Wes Foderingham is a very capable deputy,” he said. “How much that changes their approach I don’t know. It may be a bonus for us, but that would be doing Wes a disservice saying that. He has been a very good goalkeeper for Rangers for a long time. It’s not really coming into our thinking.”

Celtic sewed up their eighth consecutive Scottish title last weekend when they defeated Aberdeen 3-0 at Pittodrie and can now win a third consecutive domestic treble if they beat Hearts in the William Hill Scottish Cup at Hampden later this month.

But Lennon, who has been helping the Parkhead recruitment team identify signing targets even though he is unsure if he will be kept on as manager beyond the final, insists that they can get even better next season after they have strengthened this summer.

Asked if he thought Rangers would be better next season, he said: "I'm not sure. We will be. I guarantee you that, but I can't comment on Rangers being stronger or not.

"There's a bit of rebuilding to be done, there's no question of that. Like all great teams, they have a cycle and then there's a turnover and we're at that stage now where they needs to be an injection of quality and freshness into the squad. That's the general plan for next season.”

3. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

What do you mean ?

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Maybe a wee variation in tactics, putting his own stamp on it.

5. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Think he already has in some ways. We’ve been solid in defence and already seem more of a threat at set pieces. There is no need for him to make ground breaking changes this stage of the season. Patience is key

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Don't think we've been that more defensively solid tbh, Bain has been excellent and we've rode our luck at times.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  7. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

We’ve conceded 2 goals in 9 games. While playing without Tierney, Benkovic and Boyata for the most part. That’s no mean feat

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Jozos form has been a blessing, but of it wasn't for Bain today's game could have been much more nervy.

9. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

5-0 Celtic

10. SuperZidane

Who exactly are you disgusted with? Is it anyone who does not want NL to get the job or those who (I agree) have been over the top in their criticism and used totally unacceptable terms.

If it's the latter - I agree - I've seen one or two use terms about NL that are only seen on Hun Sites and/or shown no respect for his service to our club. This is totally unacceptable and those involved should be ashamed of themselves.

However, just because someone doesn't think that NL should be the next manager, doesn't mean they are the same. I don't want Neil to keep the job and I completely respect his service to our club and would never use the terms I've seen from a few on here.

I just think that some people are looking at his past record through rose tinted glasses and I don't see any evidence that he's a better manager than he was 5 years ago. Only an idiot would dispute that his contribution as a player was fantastic or that he loves our club. However, neither of those is of any relevance to his ability as a manager.

When I read stuff about a management team of Neil/Parker/Mjalby + Duff/Kennedy as well as Hooper and/or Izzy getting offered a new deal - It feels like travelling back in time.

Football has moved on as has our Club. Neil had his time and he is rightly a Celtic Legend. Frankly, we need a better manager/coach to move us on - appointing NL is a backward move - that's not disrespectful - it's a honest opinion and as valid as anyone else's.

11. Maestro 08

He has come in to a pressurised enviroment towards the tail end of a season with expectations at an all time high & into a squad reeling from Rodgers bailing out and kept things going. Not many could step up to the plate like that & that strength of character should not be underestimated, especially at a club with the demands of ours.

The football hasn't been great, agreed, but neither was it pre Lennon and when all is said and done no one will remember how it was won, only that it was. If truth be told I didn't expect and neither should most that he would come in and have us playing free flowing, eye catching football in such a short space of time. That was never his remit, his remit was to see us over the line in any way he could. There will be time, if he gets the nod to implement his style and own brand of football.

Stories of Hooper and Izzy have not come from him so I wouldn't chase him away on the basis of that. His latest press conference actually spoke of a squad overhaul and this squad coming to the end of its cycle and needing fresh impetus. That sounds positive and progressive to me not the doom and gloom some are forecasting. If he's given the chance I'll be 100% behind him and unlike others believe he does come back to us a better manager than he was those years ago. Imo he has the strength of character, nous and experience to take us forward. There is more glamorous names out there but I would have no problems and no worries with Lennon getting the job over them.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN RODGERS has urged his former Celtic bosses to give Neil Lennon the permanent manager’s job.

Lennon took on the caretaker role following Rodgers’ move to Leicester City back in February.

And he has since guided the Hoops to their eighth successive Premiership title, as well as the Scottish Cup Final.

It remains to be seen whether Parkhead chiefs will hand him the reins permanently, but Rodgers insists it’s a no-brainer.

Speaking to the Sunday Mail, he said: “Neil’s perfect for the job. He understands Celtic and the pressures involved.

They will have many applications because it’s an amazing club. People will want to go and work there

But not many will understand the expectations of Celtic, especially going for the ninth title next year.

“Neil gets that fully.”

13. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Jozo is like a new man and we have a big improvement in Lustig. A coincidence or a better defensive system?

Having the confidence not to play Benkovic with Boyata out was a very brave move and can only benefit our team. Much talk about club before country in the Weah thread but this is club before job prospect.

14. Mince.Charming

A total lack of loyalty, respect and understanding.

15. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Wins this, the final and possibly finishes the season undefeated then the people who think the grass is greener on the other side should be very careful what they wish for. We have 10 in a row to win but I get the feeling some would prefer Mr Foreigner Fancy pants who may or may not having a * clue how to be a success at a club like Celtic. Neil Lennon most certainly knows how to succeed at Celtic, which is kind of the point of being manager.

16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    That's all he * needs :56:

Doogs., Gabriel and Mince.Charming like this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The latter. People can have doubts about him management wise, * a lot of * had doubts about Rodgers.

One thing on that though - stop reading the MSM to judge him. It was Rodgers that brought Izzy back to the club, there’s very little chance either Hooper or Izzy will be at the club next year.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  18. HailHoopy

You know something mate, I'm not usually one for players or managers coming back, never have been. But there's just something about this Lennon thing. I'd like to see him get the job regardless of the result today.

I think next season we would see him make some necessary changes and stamp his own authority on the team. Look what he's done with the defence already.

I just think he's destined to lead us to the 10.

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Very good to hear :57:

Maestro 08 likes this.
  20. Mr. Slippyfist

Brendumb Ratgers can go * himself.

Nobody's interested in his opinion at this club anymore.

jocksteinupper and sabzz1888 like this.