1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Name your 5 Most important Celtic matches ever.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, May 8, 2019.

Discuss Name your 5 Most important Celtic matches ever. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just pick the 5 most important Celtic matches ever.

1) Celtic 2 Inter Milan 1
    2) Celtic 2 St Johnston 0 - Match that stopped the 10 for Deadco.
    next 3 are altogether
    3) Celtic 0 St Mirren 0
    4) Motherwell 0 Celtic 3
    5) Dundee 2 Celtic 3

The reason i put the last 3 is that without those scores Celtic would have been relegated as they were from 1947-48 season.

2. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    There will be pretty much universal agreement about the 5 most important matches, although I would argue that Seville belongs in that list, given the magnitude of the occasion, despite the result.

A better question would be "your personal top 5 that you saw", and for me that would be:

1) Dundee United 0 - 1 Celtic, 2008 - "They said they'd win this title for Tommy Burns, and they kept their word"
    2) Celtic 2 - 1 Barcelona - Never have I ever been more elated at the sound of the final whistle.
    3) Kilmarnock 0 - Celtic 6, 2012 - Best title winning atmosphere I've ever witnessed, and a performance befitting champions.
    4) Celtic 5 - Rangers 1 - Dembele hatrick, first league encounter against Newco. A good time was had by all.
    5) Celtic 2 - Villareal 0, 2008 - Probably the best footballing performance by a Celtic team in Europe that I have seen. This little-remembered game came at the end of a group stage where we'd already dropped out, but the free-flowing, attacking football Celtic put on that night was like nothing I'd seen. Could have finished 4 or 5.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  3. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Going to do it for my lifetime...

1. Could pick any one of the close games in the stop-the-tainted-10-in-a-row of Oldco season. Will go for the 1-1 game where Stubss scored in the last minute. I never saw this game (or indeed any of the games that season :52:) but it seems it was a rearranged fixture for the death of Diana and had that game gone ahead on the original date, we'd probably have lost since we were seemingly in a terrible run of form and Oldco were in a good run of form.

2. The 6-2 game. It's not often I agree with Davie Provan, but I always remember the commentary from this game. In the first few minutes he said something along the lines of 'it's important for MON and for Celtic to get a victory today... Rangers have had Celtic in a psychological arm-lock for the past decade'. What he said was true. Although we'd stopped 10iar in 98, the torment of 90s was still a dominant feature in the minds of many of us and it seemed to continue up until O'Neill came in. For example, even after stopping their tainted 10 in 98, they went onto win 5 out of the next 6 trophies (including two comfortable league titles - one of which was won during a treble season). I think the 6-2 game smashed any kind of psychological barrier over the club. This was not going to be a one-off like the 5-1 in 99, this was the tide turning in our favour. There was a buzz about the place, this was a proper Celtic team under a proper Celtic manager. I still maintain that what MON set in motion at the beginning of the 2000s was the foundation for our dominance today.

3. Liverpool 0 - 2 Celtic. It's difficult to pick one European result from MON's reign, many of them were important in different ways. It might be argued the 1-0 victory in Boavista was the most important European result in our modern history. There were others too: the 4-3 v Juventus in 2001, the 1-0 v Valencia in 2001, the aggregate result v Celta Vigo in 2002, the 2-0 v Lyon in 2003, the 1-0 and 0-0 v Barcelona in 2004... but I think the game at Anfield tops the lot. In a European sense, it felt like we were truly back as a competitive European club. Knocking out a Liverpool team containing Owen, Gerrard, Carragher, Hamman, Riise, Dudek, Hypia - the guys who formed the backbone of their CL victory in 2005, made it seem like no team from the 'big leagues' even on their own ground, would be a step too far for us anymore.

4. Celtic 1 -0 Man Utd. Reasoning is a bit similar to the Liverpool game. But this one took us to the last 16 for the first time. Again, a very good United team with players like Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes, Ferdinand, Vidic etc. who went onto win the CL the following season. On a personal level this meant a lot to me. I grew up in a place where every * seemed to slavishly follow Utd (probably because they were successful) and would never miss an opportunity to put down Celtic because they were from a 'pub league'. I can't describe how I felt when that FT whistle went. Almost felt like winning the whole thing to me. I milked that one for months. Had Naka's free kick as my Bebo flashbox for ages just to dine out on the moment :celtman2:

5. Celtic 2 - 1 Barcelona. The footballing equivalent of a very long, intense *. There is no drug, no amount of money that can replicate that feeling. I'd say the only thing that would top it would be winning the whole competition. What a night. The history, the occasion, the tifo. To beat the best club side even assembled, in our own ground, on the 125th anniversary of our founding. Fairytale stuff. Even months later, like well into the second half of the second, I still felt on a high because of it. :party22:

4. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    1. Lisbon
    2. 4-2 ten men won the league.
    3. Riot cup final.
    4. Beautiful Sunday last season.
    5. Every game we score in, I love jumping up and down screaming when we score.

I've been lucky enough to be at Parkhead when we won the league against those animals, TWICE.

johnboy19 likes this.
  5. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Brilliant Choices!!!!

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    For me, the first 3 of them are no brainers:

1) Lisbon 1967
    2) Milan 1970
    3) Seville 2003

The 4th I'd say was:

4) Celtic 2 Rangers 0 (January 98) - for me the most important game in stopping them getting 10.

The 5th is more difficult, but I guess I'll go for the home game against Leeds in 1970.

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Zurich
    Nantes
    Vojvodina
    Dukla Prague
    Inter Milan

Morcombe and johnboy19 like this.
  8. Batigol

I'd struggle to pick a specific 5 overall, but that Jan 98 game is a standout in terms of games in my lifetime. Redefined the relative position of both clubs in an era that previously had little hope.

That Lambert goal is seared into my mind. Wasn't even at the game, but can recall that match perfectly. Got dragged to Makro by my parents, but I spent the entire time in front their wall of tv's which was showing the game live. GIRUY motions towards their tvs somehow went unchallenged. Still one of my best ever Celtic memories.

Random Review and Murph-E like this.
  9. leeso-ardoyne

My best 5 I was at.

Century year new year game.
    Raith rovers cup final at ibrox.
    Airdrie cup final (found ticket stub outside while my da the aul * left me outside while he went in)
    Stopping the 10
    The new year game and league cup 1997/98
    Beating juve at Celtic park
    Seville
    MON treble, was at all 3
    5-1 game dembelle
    Treble beating Aberdeen
    Last year's treble

Followed by
    This year's treble treble
    And not to forget, next year's 9IAR and quadruple treble followed by 10IAR!