1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Like I said up there.

When John Park was coming to the end of his time here we’d signed some dross and he took the blame.

So why does Lennon get all the credit?

Nobody is denying him anything, I gave him credit and it was ignored. It’s just embarrassing to give him all the credit. Its desperation to try and justify him getting the job again.

He was the manager when we signed Van Dijk and Wanyama so he’s suddenly some transfer mastermind.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Where have I said he deserves al the credit? I’ve said he was part of building up a scouting network that had great success for us. Which he factually was.

Why is it embarassing giving him credit for that?

StPauli1916 and Gabriel like this.
  3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I remember at the time when Lennon was here, John Park shouldered a lot of the blame. Yet yous are giving Lennon all of the credit forgetting there are middle men.

I guarantee nobody at that club thought Mulgrew would be POTY etc. Signings like that pay off sometimes, managers all over the world do it. Lennon isn’t a messiah for signing Charlie Mulgrew.

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You’re undermining the impact that Park and the scouts had, and the work they carried out by giving Lennon all the credit. A rookie manager doesn’t walk into a job with his own trusted scouts because he hasn’t been in a job. He’d have a relationship with Park who was there before he was and Park would have his own team as Chief Scout.

Why’s this so difficult to understand?

It’s embarrassing to give him all the credit. There’s rumours of Park returning who knows if he will, and who knows what Lennon’s recruitment will be like.

5. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    The book stops with the manager so he takes the credit and the blame. I for one never blamed Park for the failures. Blaming and crediting Park is similar to laying no blame on the manager for defeats or crediting him with success when there was a whole team involved in the results.

So if there is definitive proof that a player he picked was a success then no credit because other managers have done that. Maybe he won the Champions League we could say no big deal managers all over Europe do it

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You’re really not getting my argument.

When you’re bringing up the signing of Charlie Mulgrew to try and argue a manager getting a job, based around his recruitment... you’re in trouble.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I’m not in the slightest. I’ve explicitly stated that the relationship that John Park built up when Lennon was one of our youth coaches, building up the network and the footballing side of scouting, was the most important thing about that era.

Lennon was a major part of Park’s work while he wasn’t a first team coach under Mowbray. He brought that relationship into the first team and it came up trumps for us because he’d built that relationship with the scouting team and had enough trust in them for them to deliver the type of players he was wanting to implement his vision at the club.

Look at what happened after that. Ronny didn’t have that trust in the scouting team, we signed dross and ended up with * like Scott Allan.

Rodgers came in and ripped that up leaving us in the state we are in just now.

Lennon helped build that scouting network. Lennon trusted that network. He worked with his scouting team like a manager should and he signed the guys that he needed to out of there suggestions.

How the * is that giving Lenny ‘sole’ credit? It’s giving him all the credit he deserves, and that is a * of a lot but we aren’t a one man club. You need to work as a unit, from on the pitch, to the boardroom, to your staff.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You know for a fact that’s not what he’s saying. You’re not stupid.

Gabriel likes this.
  9. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    No I brought him up as one the players we know Park did not scout. I’m pretty sure Hooper, Ledley and Matthews could be added to the list.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Possibly the biggest reason we got through to the last 16 - Fraser Forster - definitely wasn’t. I don’t get why that matters though? We’ve went through two managers after Lenny not trusting his scouting system and having a disjointed relationship with them and it showed.

Gabriel likes this.
  11. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I agree with that, when you say it with so much detail. Can’t really argue anymore. He signed some amount of dross too, but they all do.

12. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I reckon Hooper and Matthews probably were. If fact I’m sure Mulgrew was probably watched too. You’d be daft not to before signing someone to a contract.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    They do. Hopefully this time the boards learned there lessons though, it’s been confirmed if Van Dijk was even a penny over £2m then we wouldn’t have signed him. Wonder how many players those limitations made us miss out on? I’m sure there was a few dross that he 100% wanted but the more limitations that were placed the further down the list and more creative we ended up getting.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  14. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    i wonder if he's approached Efe yet to come back and solve our CB problems? :fear:

15. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Giving the players 3 day weekends 2 weeks out from the cup final is * ridiculous.

Atleast he is being honest and not hiding that he has no plans to even try and keep up Rodgers standards.

16. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I also think we look more solid now. Still a lot of work to do to get us solid enough for Europe, but he's just in the door to be fair.

17. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I'm 100% convinced Lennon will get ten anyone else is too much of risk. Also Lennon won't chuck it halfway through the season and leave is in disarray.

I'd also had we backed Lennon in the first place we'd be light years ahead of the huns.

angusceltic67 and StPauli1916 like this.
  18. scotsbhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Never walk alone
    Your moaning about our players getting a rest? Alot of our players are running on an empty , we have a few players who have played the most games in europe ffs, then the fact that the team gets about 4 weeks rest before the new season starts.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  19. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    It's not moaning. They didn't get 3 days off in a row when in the same position last year or the year before when we were going for the invincible and double trebles. Worked out well then so theres no good reason to change it now.
    Its not just this week either its already been said by players their not training as much as they did under BR and theres been more half days. Ofcourse incorporating rest in is important but 3 days off is a joke this close to a final. Also when weve only had 2 games a week twice since February.

20. Keano88

Maybe it looks that way on paper but 2 games ago Bain had to make 6 saves in a home game against Kilmarnock.

He only had to make 2 saves total in our 7 premiership games after the winter break, which included Kilmarnock away.

Valhalla, Blochairnbhoy and Twisty like this.