1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Boruc17, May 6, 2019.

Discuss Australia in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Is there anybody on here that lives or has lived in Australia? (namely NSW)

I’m going through the visa process just now and it’s looking like I’ll only have enough points to be nominated to work in NSW. I don’t know if I fancy living in working in Sydney at all... it’s just another big city, rat race type lifestyle plus it’s extortionate?

Just looking for some first hand opinions really. Cheers

2. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Grew up and did all my schooling in Australia. Moved up to Sydney for uni and worked there for a couple of years also. Admittedly am talking a long time since lived there, but have been back a few times in the years since, visiting friends and family etc.

I can't help with the visa advice much (as I have an Australian passport so its not an issue), but how old are you also?, as i believe there is a visa that you can get if you are under 30 that enables to travel and work etc. for 1yr... Although if you are looking at staying longer, then obviously other visa would be required. That aside, am more than happy to offer whatever I can that helps. What is it you are wanting to know about Sydney/metro area, but also about other areas etc.

Also, I don't know how it is that you would only be restricted to only NSW (never heard of that before), or Sydney for that matter, but depending on qualifications there are no shortage of opportunities in rural areas... Last time I was there, for example, it was well publicized that the Northern Territory were basically pleading for people to move there, including offering cash and tax incentives to those with qualifications to move there. Not that suggesting that the NT is the way to go, but just highlighting it because of what you'd said about being restricted to Sydney/NSW.

Anyhow, ask away about Sydney & the metropolitan area (used to live in inner Sydney but also in western Sydney, near Parramatta) and will answer what I can.

Either here or in PM, whichever you prefer. :50:

There are lots of other ex-pats living there and Aussies on this site that may fill in any gaps also.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  4. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Awrite mate, basically with the points system of the visa... I’ll be able to get a 190 visa which is state nomination by either NSW or SA... a sponsored visa by the state due to shortages so I’d need to live and work there.

Just trying to figure out if there’s somewhere in Sydney or (NSW) that is the best of both... nearer the beaches but still close enough to the City for work.
    When I was in Sydney (briefly) it seemed similar to London in the big smoke city, rat race type lifestyle.
    Had my head set on Brisbane but that’s not looking likely as I won’t have enough points for an independent visa.

Cheers :60:

5. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    Don't go, I've heard Australia is full off criminals.
    Also, everything that crawls, swims or flies bites you, kills you. :40:

bagforlife, Xatraps and Boruc17 like this.
  6. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    It’s 4 degrees and * down in May... I’m out :56:

bagforlife and FATLAZYBHOY like this.
  7. Sydneysider

True ! the spiders are as big as dinner plates and can jump three metres. its awful !!

And you cant get Birds custard powder ( apparently )

bagforlife and FATLAZYBHOY like this.
  8. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    I've been trying for a Visa also but my trade isn't really recognised there so I'm struggling. I'm an insulator but I know of others who can go over as we qualify as 1st class sheet metal workers. Have no idea where to start, have family over there too.

Boruc17 and Sydneysider like this.
  9. Sydneysider

Seriously good luck with your efforts, it will be worth it. I lived in WA for 20 years and now NSW for about 13 years

I love it, as someone said on TV here the only thing they missed about leaving England was ….France

bagforlife, jake10 and Boruc17 like this.
  10. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    You could look at getting your family to sponson you I think.
    I’m going though an immigration agent to sort things out really does help.
    Try giving down under center a call and they’ll give you the lowdown on options

11. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fingers crossed bud. The missus has got family in Perth but I don’t fancy it, being as isolated as it is.

Think it will be Sydney but finding the right area will be the hard part.

12. Sydneysider

Prices are down ( buying or renting) so good time to come, but Sydney is still a lot dearer than Perth.

The Shire is good value in comparative terms

13. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Yeah my mate who is from and lives in Sydney mentioned this morning about the prices dropping.
    He lives 20 mins from coogee beach for $530 a week... seems reasonable.
    It’s just when you compare what you get for your money from Sydney to Brisbane that hurts :56:

14. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Good luck mate, I've never lived in Sydney but my childhood best mate moved out there a decade ago and I've visited a few times. I've loved every minute I've spent there but it is definitely a pretty expensive city.

Australia as a whole is just a great place to be, I've pondered emigrating a few times but think I've missed the boat at 32. All the best to you

15. wd2oo3 Gold Member Gold Member

Moved to Melbourne from Glasgow in 2012 primarily just for work. The mrs was already there a year and was getting moved on to the sponsorship visa with her company.

I was a bit sick of doing the gas work here so it was a good change. Worked at sandown raceway resurfacing , helped build a golf course in the yara valley and a had a few plumbing and removal jobs with various companies.

Just before my year travel visa was due to expire we then applied for full residency so i was then put into a bridging visa along with my mrs. Her company didn’t front the cost of this so we were stuck with it.

Came back home which I regret now . It was a much harder decision coming home than it was going.

Sydney is rubbish . Melbourne is the place to be. Weather is manageable and they always have stuff on. F1 and Australian open yearly too .

Had to do your own tax return which wasn’t an issue of us as she is an accountant anyway but it doesn’t cost much to get it done.

If you get residency or citizenship you can’t claim your super back when leaving unless you give up your residency visa .

Loads of csc clubs but it is difficult to watch the matches , I started at 7am too so would only get to watch 45 mins of champions league before having to go to work. The A league is a good standard too not amazing the teams have signed players from the spfl. I got a season ticket for Melbourne victory 240 dollars the atmosphere was good, you could have a beer during the games it was good . Big tam rogic played for them when I lived there too .

Make the most of the weather I’m guilty of not going out enough I just took it for granted . Was also working outside everyday anyway but I enjoy it go to the beaches do a bit of surfing etc. BBQ as much as u want .

Need anything at all ? K mart all the way , miss the k Mart lol.

Hope this helps

16. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Jeepers man

parrisgoebel_20200105_110535_0.jpg

ENdD7D0XUAEQXYe.jpeg

Just donated to the Red Cross there, was ignorant to the scale of this disaster. Some heartbreaking pictures kicking about. Brutal.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  17. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    It looks like the estimates from climatologists that certain parts of the planet will be come inhabitable is closer than before, the cost not only to humans but wildlife is heartbreaking.

18. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Holy * that's mental.

19. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

Hope all our aussie members are keeping safe! :50:

20. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Good man everyone that can afford a few quid will hopefully donate something.

We have friends out there and from what they have said, plus the news shown here, it's horrendous, some reports estimate half a billion animals may have died already, this is obviously going to have a future impact on the ecosystem as well.. once the fires are controlled/contained (this time.. til the next ones). still, climate change isn't a 'thing' ...