1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jozo Simunovic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Aug 15, 2015.

Discuss Jozo Simunovic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Keano88

No sure about that.

There’s no doubt that his defensive recruitments were * poor but Boyata went from a guy who was genuinely on par or worse than Ambrose in the bombscare stakes to a solid CB who’s now a starter for Belgium. Ajer was also moulded into CB despite starting out as a midfielder, due to Rodgers.

Tommy25 and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  2. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Have to agree with that keano.

Absolutely the snake took players under hisceing and made them better. But if you didnt get his attention you just stagnated. He took boyata very far but basically ignored jozo. Its also noteworthy to mention that our defence is alot more solid since he left. Jozo seemscto have a swagger and purpose that he had when he first signed.

The snake persisted with boyata even though he was a * bombscare, he didnt appear to have the same patience with others, certainly not jozo.

Another example of this would be sinclair. Time and time i would watch games begging for the snake to wake up and take sinclair off.

The snake had his favorites. It would appear lennon is getting a * of alot more from the snakes fringe players than the snake ever could.

3. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

He's certainly entered into Celtic folklore.

Didn't McNeill himself say that there's always been a bit of fairytale when it comes to Celtic?

Jeannie960 and Tommy25 like this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think he went through a spell where a lot of fans lost faith in him, but I'm pleased to see him turning it around again.

Tommy25 likes this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Jozo Simunovic believes it was his destiny to commemorate the passing of Billy McNeill with Celtic's winning goal.

Simunovic, who wears the No 5 kit graced by the Lisbon Lion legend, struck with a header that McNeill would have been proud of to defeat Kilmarnock with 67 minutes on the Celtic Park clock.

That means an eighth successive top-flight championship can be claimed on Sunday if Rangers fail to beat Aberdeen at Ibrox, or next Saturday lunchtime if Celtic earn a point or more from their trip to Pittodrie.

But presenting his match jersey to McNeill's family after the match felt far more important to Simunovic than acknowledging he had inched Celtic closer to wrapping up the title.

It was a special moment, the favourite moment in my Celtic career and one I will remember for the rest of my life,' said the centre-half.

'I was surprised on the bus before the game when I saw so many fans. I couldn't have imagined something like that. That gave me an impulse to give even more in this game.

'I believed it would be a special day for me because of the No 5. For everyone, it meant a lot but for me it was special.

'The manager spoke to us about Billy before the game to help inspire us. Everyone knows how big a name he is at this club and the impact he had on Celtic. He was a leader, an amazing guy.

'The manager said a few things about him and that motivated us even more.

Some people will say that I'm lucky to score with the No 5 on 67 minutes. But I say I'm blessed. I believe in that.'

The 24-year-old, who pointed to the sky in celebration, added: 'My biggest support comes above us. I said something and I'm going to keep that to myself but, it's just... I'm Christian, that's how it goes.

'Listen, trophies are special but for me this is something else. I had a chat with Billy's family afterwards and that has given me more reasons to remember all of this.'

Lennon suggested that Celtic's step to the brink of the title was taken with the help of McNeill watching over them.

'It's amazing when you think about it,' said Lennon. 'That was a perfect way to win the game, I suppose, under the circumstances, with everything that's happened this week.

'The big man might have been looking down on us when we needed a goal.

'Jozo has been outstanding for me since I've come in. I want my centre-halves to attack the ball more and he's doing that on a regular basis.

'I'm pleased with the win, pleased with the second half and it's a great three points.

'Kilmarnock created opportunities with us being sloppy. We were ill-disciplined defensively, not just the back four, but the midfield as well. We were a little bit loose.

We wanted that tidied up in the second half, which was a lot better.' Simunovic thanked Lennon for keeping faith in him in a move which has been keeping Leicester loan star Filip Benkovic on the Celtic bench.

'He put some trust in me,' said Simunovic. 'He had a chat with me and we settled some things with what he expected from me.

'So I'm just following that and, for now, everything is going well. We are still keeping clean sheets and we need to keep going.'

Rydo1888*, Jeannie960 and Tommy25 like this.
  7. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
  8. D'Ecosse

I know this will sound like "sure you did ........aye .........." but when about to take that corner and watching the clock I thought Simunovic is going to head this in and its going to be really close to 67 mins even ...

Anyway, I have another premonition that Sunday's game is going to mean Jozo's goal is the league winner - don't know whether sheep win or draw, just got same feeling that Jozo's goal clinched it on top of what was already a fabulous moment for him, Billy's family, the Celtic family.

Really pleased for the big guy.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  9. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Having him and ajer playin well is good for qaulifiers,hopefully they keep it up.Stil need 2 cbs though.

10. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    A guy on twitter joked a couple of hours before the game that wouldn't it be funny if Jozo scored on the 67th minute

11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Still in shock at it all. You couldn't make it up, an incredible moment in what was a very forgettable game, otherwise.

How much it's meant to Jozo is great as well, can tell the guy is very touched to have paid tribute to Cesar like that :shamrock:

Tommy25 and shaunbhoy67 like this.
  12. StevieBhoooy!

I wonder what odds the bookies would have given on it?

1967/1 ???

13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Worked this out yesterday. He was 11/1 to score, so predicting the minute would times that by 90 odd minutes he might score in... 990/1

14. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Had he put a bet on for he 67th minute though, which is what Jeannie said he was saying on twitter, he wouldn't have won. The bookies would say 67.07 (or whatever it was) is the 68th minute.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The goal from the Celtic TV view

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Him and Benkovic rounds of applause at Mass on Sun..:papal:

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Katic goes with them as well. Should they save their applause for him until his BAFTA is awarded?

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. celtic warrior

* going to end up as a striker.

He's been hunting for a goal like mad lately, he's looking like a totally different prospect and long may it continue.

20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No question the great current form of Simunovic as well as Ajer is great with next July in mind. But equally no question we still need to go out and sign 2 new center backs given we will not have Benkovic next season nor it seems Boyata. Given our game load we need at least 4 senior center backs in the squad.