1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cesar Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar.

Discussion in 'The Lisbon Lions' started by HoopswithPride, Feb 25, 2017.

Discuss Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar. in the The Lisbon Lions area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ArminCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Rest in peace,Cesar.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Tommy25 likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Wee bit from Bernard Ponsonby on STV
    Part 1

Part 2

3. celtic warrior

Tells you everything about the charisma and impact he had when guys like Kayal post about him.

Football. No, the world is in dire need of more men like him.

Tommy25 and Aidan O’Shea like this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Tommy25 likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic hope to pay a poignant tribute to Billy McNeill on Saturday by sending an entire team out to face Kilmarnock wearing his famous No.5 shorts.

Scotland’s champions were grieving yesterday along with the rest of the Scottish game after the Lisbon Lion passed away aged 79 after a long battle against dementia.

Tributes for the club’s former captain and manager have poured in from all over the world over the last 24 hours following the announcement. Team mates Bertie Auld and John Clark held a tearful press conference at Celtic Park yesterday afternoon to lament the loss of their iconic leader.

But now the current squad could be given the chance to pay homage by pulling on the shorts McNeill wore when he conquered Europe in 1967.

Record Sport understands chief executive Peter Lawwell began exploring the possibility yesterday and is now likely to ask the SPFL to grant special permission in time for this weekend’s visit from Steve Clarke’s side.

Celtic paid a similar tribute to Jimmy Johnstone in the League Cup Final of 2006 when Gordon Strachan’s players took to the field wearing Johnstone’s No.7 shorts before going on to wrap up the silverware with a 3-0 win.

Tommy25 and Drakhan like this.
  6. CountyDownFaithful

Should the main stand be named after Billy?

Or would this be too much considering we already have a Lisbon Lions stand?

7. FannyHaddock

An emotional tribute from Charlie Nicholas “I dont`t mind crying for Billy”

Tommy25, M 67, bagforlife and 3 others like this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

For anyone who missed it yesterday

Really nice tribute from Charlie Nicholas

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

KENNY Dalglish joined Celtic in May 1967, just three weeks before Billy McNeill lifted the European Cup in the Estadio Nacional. A year later, and still only 17, he was training with the Lisbon Lions, and he still recalls the thrill of becoming a team-mate of the Celtic legends.

Paying tribute to Billy McNeill, his former captain and long-time friend, Sir Kenny Dalglish said: “My condolences go out to Billy's family and their loved ones. Marina and I are deeply saddened by the news as we have known the family for the best part of 50 years.

"I count myself as being extremely privileged to have been a team-mate of Billy's and also his friend. He was an inspirational leader on the pitch but, just as importantly, he offered wise counsel off the pitch.

"This is a sad time but also a period to reflect and remember the happy memories. I'll never forget how, as a 17-year-old, I got to train with Billy and other Lisbon Lions in 1968/69. I was in awe. They made every young player feel welcome.

"They never excluded you from anything, even to the point where Billy would pick me up on the South Side of Glasgow and take me to training. I didn't have a car so I relied on Billy and others such as Jim Craig and Bertie Auld to take me in.

"Billy looked after you or made sure you were looked after. That was his way. He set extremely high standards and others followed that exemplary leadership and kindness.

"Sharing the journeys in the car with Billy taught me how to handle success and be humble. To spend time with the Celtic captain was a wonderful education and stood me in good stead for my professional career and also as a person. Billy achieved amazing things in his career as a player and manager and he thoroughly deserved it all.

"He was a wonderful person and a great family man. Liz has lost her husband, the children have lost their dad and the grandkids have their lost their grandfather. Right now, that overrides everything, including football."

Tommy25 likes this.
  10. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Nice touch with the forum banner.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

STV news from yesterday

Part 1

Part 2

Tommy25 and johnboy19 like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Sir Kenny Dalglish today paid tribute to Billy McNeill after the Celtic legend sadly passed away on Tuesday at the age of 79.

A former defender, McNeill has been described as The Bhoys’ greatest ever captain after spending his entire playing career with the club, helping them win the European Cup in 1967 as well as numerous other honours.

After hanging up his boots, McNeill enjoyed a successful managerial career - and was at the helm for the Hillsborough Memorial Match, arranged by the Scottish club following disaster in April 1989, with both sets of supporters delivering an emotional rendition of ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ at Celtic Park.

Indeed, the game was played just one day after Celtic had took part in a league fixture at Aberdeen. Liverpool were also the opposition for McNeill’s testimonial match, played in Glasgow in August 1974.

Sir Kenny said: “My condolences go out to Billy's family and their loved ones. Marina and I are deeply saddened by the news as we have known the family for the best part of 50 years.

"I count myself as being extremely privileged to have been a teammate of Billy's and also his friend. He was an inspirational leader on the pitch but, just as importantly, he offered wise counsel off the pitch.

"This is a sad time but also a period to reflect and remember the happy memories. I'll never forget how, as a 17-year-old, I got to train with Billy and other Lisbon Lions in 1968-69. I was in awe. They made every young player feel welcome.

"They never excluded you from anything, even to the point where Billy would pick me up on the Southside of Glasgow and take me to training. I didn't have a car so I relied on Billy and others such as Jim Craig and Bertie Auld to take me in.

"Billy looked after you or made sure you were looked after. That was his way. He set extremely high standards and others followed that exemplary leadership and kindness.

"Sharing the journeys in the car with Billy taught me how to handle success and be humble. To spend time with the Celtic captain was a wonderful education and stood me in good stead for my professional career and also as a person. Billy achieved amazing things in his career as a player and manager and he thoroughly deserved it all.

"He was a wonderful person and a great family man. Liz has lost her husband, the children have lost their dad and the grandkids have their lost their grandfather. Right now, that overrides everything, including football."

The thoughts of Liverpool Football Club are with Billy’s family and friends, and all of our friends at Celtic Football Club, during this time.

You’ll Never Walk Alone.

Tommy25 likes this.
  16. ddub11

The whole Stadium?

Tommy25 and johnboy19 like this.
  17. Shamrock.

Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    RIP Billy. He was my Celtic manager growing up and manager of my first game and first title that I remember and was at. I'll also always cherish the Centenary season in particular as a great year. So many happy memories.

Tommy25 and bagforlife like this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DURING their playing careers, Billy McNeill and John Greig enjoyed a fiercely-competitive rivalry on the pitch, but it was a rivalry that was underpinned by mutual respect and friendship off it.

And today, the Rangers legend laid a wreath at the statue of Billy McNeill in tribute to Celtic’s legendary captain, who passed away earlier this week at the age of 79.

John Greig was accompanied by Rangers directors, Stewart Robertson and Andrew Dickson, and the wreath, on behalf of Rangers Football Club, took its place alongside the countless other tributes which have been left by supporters over the past couple of days.

Speaking at Celtic Park, John Greig said: “Billy was always an out-and-out gentleman. He always treated me with the greatest respect and we enjoyed a lot of times helping charities and different things off the field. He was a good, good friend and I was very sad to hear of him passing away.

“He was a giant on the park. He was actually too good-looking to be a centre-half! Apart from being a great defender, Billy also scored so many goals because he was so great in the air. That was one of the things we always had to watch when we played against Celtic, although there were plenty of other problems for us in that team. It was a great Celtic side.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Bernard Ponsonby's Tribute

Tommy25 likes this.