1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cesar Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar.

Discussion in 'The Lisbon Lions' started by HoopswithPride, Feb 25, 2017.

Discuss Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar. in the The Lisbon Lions area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I was thinking that myself when he was telling me but I didn't want to challenge him. He's like an encyclopedia on Celtic, I just try to take it all in.

Tommy25, clonbhoy and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Aye I think you are right given we put Benfica out in this fashion a couple of years later.

johnboy19, Tommy25 and clonbhoy like this.
  3. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Celtic Park is going to be a very very special place to be on saturday.

If i didnt live on the other side of the world id be on the saturday morning flight from belfast, ticket or not.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

All of Billy’s goals

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. jamiebhoy67

Was a very very emotional evening at the Celtic way grown men in tears people paying they're respects to a great man had a lump in my throat said a wee prayer to myself for the big man I hope hes at peace now and I hope he knows he is immortal to us class act of a human being in every aspect of the word.

Met him when I was about 5 or 6 in my dad's motor sitting outside a hotel I cant remember which hotel I think it was the Hilton or something and out walks Billy my da shouted hail hail Cesar and he came right over to the car shook my dads hand and exchanged some pleasantries wont forget him walking from.the door to ma day's motor and shaking his hand though most players nowadays wont even give you a second thought the big man strolled right over just to say hello. Legend of a man

bagforlife, JML67, Twisty and 3 others like this.
  8. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
  9. JordyBhoy Árd rí Éireann

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Annoyingly the term ‘legend’ is massively over used these days, thanks in part to the Soccer AM generation which personally I think is a great shame. Now some bang average player scores a handful of goals and is labelled a legend, or an average midfielder happens to score a once in a lifetime goal and is instantly referred to as a legend, which is plain wrong.

King Billy is a true legend in every sense of the word. He won so much, was loved by all, and will continue to be loved and talked about for many, many years to come not to mention sorely missed which is the real meaning of a legend! All these so called imposters are not fit to be considered in the same breath as our Billy!

R.I.P. Cesar
    :shamrock::ynwacelti

Tommy25, ddub11 and Taz like this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Bertie Auld is never usually lost for words but the heartbreaking passing of his former Celtic captain Billy McNeill almost rendered him speechless.

Yet amid the gut-wrenching sadness of the 79-year-old’s death on Monday night after a brave battle with dementia, Auld managed to find the perfect phrase to encapsulate everyone’s feelings.

He said: “Scottish football has lost a giant. We’ve lost Mr Celtic.”

McNeill was a giant of a man who gave us the most iconic image in Scottish 
football history when he proudly held aloft the European Cup as the Lisbon Lions defeated Inter Milan 2-1 to become the first British side to lift the famous trophy in 1967.

Some 52 years on the photo remains as powerful, and now poignant, as ever. Auld paid tribute to his friend and former 
team-mate McNeill who he described as not just a fantastic footballer but also a wonderful human being.

The 81-year-old said: “Billy McNeill had everything in his locker. He was a very, very special person.

Billy was born to be a leader. He was a beautiful character and a dear friend. He was a great ambassador for the club and the players.

He was Mr Celtic and he had tremendous confidence but it was never with a swagger or arrogance as he respected everybody and every opponent.

The word legend is bandied around quite easily these days but that man was a legend. The statute of big Billy holding aloft the 
European Cup trophy on the Celtic Way is everybody’s abiding memory of him.

“It is truly fitting that the first thing every supporter sees as they approach Celtic Park is Billy. It is the defining moment in the history of the football club.

“That is what makes Celtic famous around the world. Seeing the statue will resonate even more now with the Celtic supporters every time they pass by.”

Signed from Blantyre in 1957, McNeill would go on to achieve monumental feats under Jock Stein as both men helped Celtic also claim the original nine titles in a row, seven Scottish Cups and six league cups.

McNeill would later go on to manage Celtic twice where he won four Scottish League titles, three Scottish Cups and a League Cup. He memorably guided the club to the League and Scottish Cup double in their Centenary year in 1988.

Auld revealed McNeill was not daunted by playing for such a huge club from the minute he walked through Parkhead’s famous doors.

He said: “The great thing about him was that Billy was at the club from 1957 and he had a tremendous manner about him.

“Even when he was alongside the likes of other great Celtic players like Bobby Evans and Bertie Peacock and working under Jock he never flinched.

“I met him as a young boy at Celtic Park and he would just listen to everything. He took everything on board as he was a great listener and then he would give his opinion. Billy was just able to carry himself superbly.”

Auld believes McNeill – who was awarded the MBE in 1974 for his services to football – embodied everything that was great about the Lisbon Lions.

He said: “If you see pictures of Billy going up to receive the Cup in Lisbon he is 
actually a reluctant conscript because he was genuinely concerned he could not share the moment with the rest of the team. That summed big Billy up as a man.

“There was nobody more proud of Billy than the rest of his Celtic team-mates. He was a well-educated boy. The perfect choice to be our captain, our leader and to represent the club. He was a colossus.

“Billy stood for everything that was good about Celtic. I would regularly go up and see Billy in the hospice when he was fighting his terrible illness.

“He was still as a popular as ever with everybody. He radiated warmth and he was a real inspiration. The Celtic family are mourning the loss of one of their favourite sons.

“That is the Billy McNeill I know and the person who I want everybody else to know about. I will treasure everything we achieved together with Celtic and our time together. I will miss him with all my heart.”

cidermaster and Tommy25 like this.
  11. clonbhoy

This thread is great. Emotional as *, as the kids might say!

Johniebhoy. and Tommy25 like this.
  12. ddub11

Agree with ye mate,i guess if people ever wonder if a player should be considered a legend perhaps they should use Billy as a yard stick.
    If they dont match up (would any?)then no.

Tommy25, MikeyBhoy89 and JordyBhoy like this.
  13. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Poor bloke.

A horrible disease.

A legend of a man. His legacy will be immortal.

Tommy25 likes this.
  14. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    A know mate, really looking forward to it, think the memory of big billy will drive the players and fans right till hampden on 25 May

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Like the fact that it's got an ex Celt next to the Big Yin, as well.

17. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Knocked out Benfica in 1969 on a coin toss after extra time.

Tommy25 likes this.
  18. BigWilly The Wildcard Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    Rest in Peace, our greatest captain ever.

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Tried to watch the documentary there on iPlayer, cant find it. Does anybody have a link?

20. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member