1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Summer transfer budget

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Apr 22, 2019.

Discuss Summer transfer budget in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If merchandise revenue, sponsorship revenue, transfer revenue, board bonuses, squad bonuses and net profit can all increase incrementally then there's no reason why our transfer spending shouldn't be the same.

The last few transfer windows have been poor, it's time we bucked that trend.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    If Lennon is managing then £10m is maximum. Some managers will get £15m but I don't expect much more. It also depends on who leaves as players like ntcham and Sinclair will be on good money.

3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I do think we will get more than usual, just with spending nothing in winter adds a good £1.5m to the budget :56: along with the whole of Rodgers fee and the usual £4m rising to £8m.

That's us hitting the £15-£20m mark without touching the savings.

4. northeast67

Depends on who's manager, if we manage to get Benitez he will want as much as possible, however, if Lennon gets the job its because they want him to be economical bringing in pishy loans and up and promising players.

5. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Didn't say 'I expect'. I said 'I hope and think'. No harm in having optimism either. Our income seems to be getting stronger despite operating a low income league. As I say, it could depend on what lawell may know about the new CL format. Could be time to prep our next 5 year cycle and start ramping up the spends a bit

StPauli1916 likes this.
  6. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Considering any new CL format won't come in until the end of the current cycle in 2024 it seems very unlikely to me that we would start spending more now, based on that, when nothing has even been agreed yet much less implemented.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we do spend some reasonable money on quality this summer as well, I just don't have any faith we will based on what we have seen recently.

7. TheHappyLoss

It's about buying well obviously, Fulham spent £100 million on a pile of * and got relegated

neilly1987 likes this.
  8. Cupid Stunt

We should be up towards £20 mil and there's no excuse for not spending that kind of money given what's in the bank and the likely outgoings this summer. We basically need a whole new back line if you include a back up for Tierney. Ntcham will hopefully be away and will need replacing, Sinclair too. Edouard needs a partner or someone to play in that front line that allows him to drift out wide or drop deep.

It really is a huge summer in terms of recruitment, both the management team and playing staff.

9. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

We’ll spend £5million if we’re very lucky.

10. freitassen

There are several fantastic suggestions all over this forum, of guys that cost peanuts, would demand not so big wages and would certainly love to join Celtic. But the board really appears to be in some sort of penny pinching contest, they go with a 22 year old free transfer from Azerbaijan.

I am 200% sure Lustig will not just still be around but be the first choice RB next season.

11. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    There is nothing wrong with taking a guy on who impressed in trials. It's how we got guys like Rogic

12. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Personally I would be surprised if we end up in profit from our dealings again this summer!

13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I actually don't see who we can sell this summer apart from ntcham. Which is a problem.

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The rat will come in for McGregor I'm sure.

Ntcham is the only one of our assets with real value that most wouldn't be upset at losing.

15. Keano88

I think if Brendan is coming in for anyone it will be Forrest.

They have a homegrown LB (Chilwell) and have a strong midfield (Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison) but their wide men are pretty average. (Albrighton, Gray)

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

20 mil ?

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, could see that as a possibility as well.

18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

No deal or even better...accepted then McGregor goes down refuses the contract offer, drops his breeks and takes a * on his desk.

19. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    How is it a problem?

20. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    For one it means that none of our players (outwith Forrest and McGregor) have been playing well enough this season to attract the attention of clubs to want to buy them.
    If we don't have bit part players to sell, like Armstrong last season, I fear it makes it that much more likely we will sell someone that is a core part of our team, like the 2 mentioned or KT, if we fail to make he CL group stage again.