1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cesar Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar.

Discussion in 'The Lisbon Lions' started by HoopswithPride, Feb 25, 2017.

Discuss Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar. in the The Lisbon Lions area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I've always no minded Charlie Nicholas..

Feel he's gotten worse in recent time's but he's definitely a Celtic man..

I was welling up at the video's going about but that of him talking about Billy phoning his old dear in tears was too much for me. Bubbling away like * at that..

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Keano88

A great man and the epitome of the word legend.

He lived the life that we all dream of living.

Your legacy will live on forever Billy.

RIP :shamrock:

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Gonna be emotional as * if I watch this

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JOHN Clark described Billy McNeill as an ‘icon of football’ and a ‘massive personality’ as he paid tribute to his friend and former Lisbon Lions team-mate who sadly passed away late last night (Monday, April 22).

Celtic legend, Billy McNeill, passed away at the age of 79 after battling dementia for many years. He leaves behind a legacy unlike any other, and tributes for the man fondly known as Cesar have begun pouring in from throughout the footballing world.

In paying tribute to Billy, John Clark said he was deeply saddened at losing a dear friend and described his former team-mate as a giant of the game.

“My thoughts are with Liz, his children and his grandchildren,” said Clark. “It’s obviously very sad and I hope they are okay. Jim Craig called me this morning to tell me the news and, even though I knew he wasn’t well, it still stuns you when you find out.

“I’ve known Billy for most of my life. We played together and spent most of our lives working together, about 60-odd years in total. I can’t imagine a time in my life then without him.

“There were no big egos in that team we were part of and Billy summed that up. He was down to earth and everyone in the team was as well. Billy was well-liked, and everyone who met him liked him because of the kind of person he was.

“There’s nothing much more you could say to some him up other than he was an icon in football. He was well-respected by everyone and he respected other people as well. He’ll be a big miss. That’s part of my life away now. He was a massive personality. He was big in stature and big in personality and we’ll all miss him very much.”

John Clark arrived at Paradise in 1958, one year after Billy signed for Celtic, and the pair played in the Hoops together for 13 years. They achieved unprecedented success along the way and became immortalised as the Lisbon Lions after crowning achievement of winning the European Cup in 1967.

The two men first met as teenagers and went on to form a bond that would that would last a lifetime but their work together did not cease once they retired from playing. They partnered up in management and brought more success to Celtic.

“I played with him and managed with him at Aberdeen and Celtic,” said John Clark. “I always knew Billy would be a good manager because he was determined enough to be successful and he was successful.

“He never let things get to him in a way some managers would have and that was down to the character he was. He could handle the pressure well and he did as a player and a manager.”

6. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    R.I.P Billy a true Celtic legend who, along with others such as Tommy Burns and Sean Fallon, represented the very best of Celtic football club. Only one man in all of history could be the first Scotsman, the first Briton, to lift the European cup and that man was you. An accolade that can never be taken away, an accolade that will last for eternity. A truly great leader and, let's not forget, a fine defender, tough but fair. No hatchet-man Cesar. * Bless you Billy.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Rydo1888* likes this.
  7. clonbhoy

That's wonderful.

Rydo1888* and FATLAZYBHOY like this.
  8. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's amazing that in all those matches he played for Celtic he was never a substitute.
    RIP Cesar.

9. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    He will always be remembered for Lisbon and as our greatest ever captain, he also gave us the other fairytale of the double in our centenary year one of my earliest memories of Celtic. * bless big man. :shamrock:

Rydo1888* likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    RIP Cesar, immortal

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Surreal thinking about what he achieved.

The reaction from other clubs and ex players kind of sums up how big a figure he was.

Never see the likes again.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  13. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    His achievements are absolutely staggering. When men were men.
    RIP won't see his like again.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Tony Fitzpatrick paid tribute to Billy McNeill following the passing of the Scottish football legend last night.

McNeill played 790 times for Celtic between 1957 & 1975 - captaining the side to their European Cup triumph in 1967 - and was also capped 29 times for Scotland.

After hanging up his boots, McNeill managed Aberdeen, Celtic (twice), Manchester City and Aston Villa.

Saints chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick knew McNeill well and paid tribute to the man known as 'Cesar'.

Tony said: "I have incredible memories of Billy and I'm so proud to say he tried to sign me as a player. As a man he was an absolute gentleman and a great leader of men. I was in his company quite a lot and he really was an incredible man.

"Even though we knew he was unwell you think guys like Billy McNeill are immortal. It's a huge shock to your system when you hear news like this.

"We've had incredible players over the years in Scottish football such as Kenny Dalglish, David Cooper etc. But I think Billy, along with Sir Alex Ferguson, is the biggest name ever in Scottish football. Billy McNeill is a name that everybody will remember forever. He was a proper gentleman and everything you wanted in a hero.

"I know every director, the players, the staff and supporters would pass on our wishes to Billy's family. It's such a sad loss."

15. apevrak

Dementia is a horrible disease. Not only for the person himself, but for family and friends as well. Not a sending off fit for an emperor like Caesar.

I've heard and read so much about this man and he seemed like a class act on and off the field. A true Celtic legend who'll live forever in the club folklore. Hail hail, big man.

16. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Some interviews with fans

Rydo1888* likes this.
  18. The Ghirl Friday

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, Let the People Sing
    I must admit I shed a wee tear this morning when I heard of Billy's sad passing. But that's just it with big Billy though it feels as if we have all lost a little something today :49:

RIP Cesar gone but never forgotten :shamrock:

Rydo1888* likes this.
  19. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member