1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Cross Platform] General Chat

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Moustache, Jul 8, 2014.

Discuss General Chat in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Just my luck, cheers anyway.

I've actually got a raft of games to play anyway so can either pick up at cex or wait till Game reduces it as I have credit in there too.

2. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Got Madden 18, really for the story mode. Will try and * about with Miami D and see what I can do there.

3. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Wow this is pretty full on, changed days from the old Madden on Sega Mega drive.

Making a wee Miami Dolphins team up and the I'll start a season. Still doing the tutorial as I'm lost with it all now.

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I've mad images of you spending literally the last 2 full days just getting to grips with the tutorial. From putting a sega mega drive down, to picking up a new gen system and your mind being * blown.

dbhoy72 likes this.
  5. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    :67:

You better believe it, I want to just try it out as I used to love NFL way back in the 80s, got this especially because of Longshot and to take my Dolphins to Superbowl glory, making up some new players for Roster too.

Will need to recheck my game type, maybe stick to Arcade mode as opposed to full on.

6. Nasser

It's a good game very fun and easy to play. I think it's good compared to games like NBA Live which was a king in the 90's which went downhill and even NB2K is fairly boring but Madden has kept it's fun aspect which makes it addictive. I traded my game in and regret it as I never tried the Long shot story mode. I might have to get it again if the price drops a lot. I'd like to see them bring back NFL Quarterback Club I loved that game in the 90's on the SNES was a classic.

dbhoy72 likes this.
  7. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Enjoyed Longshot, now got Madden 19 and continuing Longshot, enjoying the story although I heard it got a bit of stick, but I'm enjoying it.

Created some players for my Dolphin team on Franchise. Want to get Wade and Colt on my team if it can be done though.

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Might be cos I don’t really like fantasy games but honestly think there’s a severe lack of good games these days.

9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Been bored as * having no good games to play so bought COD:MW Remastered.

10. Moustache

I can see where you're coming from to an extent, as I certainly play a lot less new games than I once did, but I'd say it's more that this generation has seen a pretty big shift in the sort of games most of the major publishers are putting out. In the past, most of the big players would probably put out about three or four 'big' games a year (be they singleplayer, multiplayer or a mix of the two). Nowadays, it's probably about one or two, and they're typically ongoing/GAAS, online-only, shared experience type games.

In saying that, there's still been plenty of great games this generation. Most of Sony's output has been fantastic, Bethesda have put out some of the low-key best games this gen, CDPR made arguably one of the best games of all time and plenty of smaller/indie studios have been putting out a lot of great stuff as well. Not liking the fantasy genre is always going to be a bit of a barrier, purely because alongside sci-fi it's probably the most common genre in gaming, but there's still plenty of good stuff out there.

I'm not sure if you're interested in recommendations, but if you are, here's some less popular games that are worth a shot(in my opinion, anyway):

Dishonored Trilogy - I was a little bit hesitant to include this since I suppose it technically is a fantasy game, but it's on the lower end of the spectrum. Your character has 'powers', but it's more of an occult thing and there isn't anything like elves, dragons etc. It's stealth focused and it's usually seen as the spiritual successor to the Thief series, if you're familiar with that. The first game originally came out last gen, but they ported it to the current consoles with all the DLC included. The second is arguably one of the best games in the genre, with some incredible level design, and the standalone expansion (and probably final game in the series) 'Death of the Outsider' is worth playing as well. There’s a lot of variety in gameplay as well whether it be lethal or non-lethal, different gadgets you can use, different abilities etc.

DOOM - You could probably argue this is fantasy-ish as well, since you're killing 'demons' from '*', but it's set on Mars and it's pretty much sci-fi anyway. If you know the DOOM series, you basically know what to expect. It's fun to play, it has a great soundtrack (and I say that as someone who generally isn't a fan of metal) and while the story isn't great, it's at least fairly tongue-in-cheek with a sense of humour. There's a sequel due out sometime this year that looks even better, so that's worth looking out for even if you aren't sold on this one.

Firewatch - A fairly short, narrative focused game about a man stationed in a fire lookout tower in America in the late 80's. The story largely focuses on both your character's developing friendship with a woman he communicates with via a walkie-talkie, and a mystery that seems to be unfolding in the forest around you (which you can explore throughout the course of the game). It's a pretty game, the voice-acting is great and the story is decent.

Prey - Same studio, albeit a different team, as Dishonored. It's sci-fi with some light horror. Stealth is a big focus again, but you can build your character to be more action orientated if you prefer that. The game encourages you to experiment and there's multiple ways to go about doing things (both in gameplay and in narrative). Unlike Dishonored which is mission based, this is 'open', although there's loading screens between the different sections of the ship. The main story is generally pretty interesting, although I'm not a fan of the ending, and there's lots of little side stories that you can discover and follow throughout the course of the game. It's honestly one of my favourite games of the generation, but it sold abysmally.

Titanfall 2 - Worth a mention since you're playing MW. The founders of Infinity Ward (the MW studio) fell out with Activision after MW2 and left (along with a large number of staff) to form a new studio called Respawn and created the Titanfall series (which includes its more popular spin-off, Apex Legends). This game is just a modern take on old-school shooter campaigns, with a lot of heart, that's fun to play and has some good level design. The actual story isn't up to much, but there's some nice moments here and there. I liked the multiplayer as well, but it's a fairly small community now.

Until Dawn - Basically an interactive movie. It's essentially one big tribute to teen horror movies, with all that entails. Exclusive to PS4.

Wolfenstein Series - Alongside DOOM, this was another Bethesda published reboot of a classic series. Again, you might already be familiar with the games, but if you're not: it's set in an alternate history where the *'s win WW2 with sci-fi weaponry. It's a fairly goofy premise, but they make it work. As of writing this, there's currently three games in the rebooted series, with a fourth coming out in July. The first game, 'The New Order', is probably the best with some surprisingly good writing . 'The Old Blood' was a standalone expansion/prequel that's basically a * Zombies campaign (that may be non-canon, I'm not sure). The actual sequel, 'The New Colossus', I didn't particularly like (it wasn't all that fun to play and the writing became too wacky). However, they do make decent use of the setting (a * controlled U.S. in the 1970's). Youngblood is the upcoming game and it's co-op focused (although it can be played solo with an AI partner) if that's something you're interested in.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    MikeyBhoy89, Raoul Duke and Valhalla like this.
  11. MikeyBhoy89 Stranger In Paradise

Fav Celtic Player:
    Varga
    Fav Celtic Song:
    o
    Got apex legends downloading the now, taking ages .

I don’t have much hope for it but it’s free and people keep telling me to get it

Anybody here playing it ?

12. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Enjoying Madden but I'm trying to work out best way to play skill level wise, rookie is too easy even with high slider for cpu, but pro is too hard.

I've totally smashed teams in my first 3 games on rookie, did beat bengals in last couple of seconds 17-10 on Pro.

Just created Wade and Colt for my team.

13. Chubbspeterson

Not played much of it but like what I’ve played so far! A bit like a grown up fortnite

14. Nasser

Some good games coming out at the moment World War Z looks surprisingly good, and looking forward to Blood & Truth on VR.

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Playing Uncharted 4 right now, terrific game.

16. Keano88

One of the best games ever made.

Enjoy.

The Prof likes this.
  17. Pharad

Decided to buy the GOTY edition of the original Borderlands game in wake of all of the Borderlands 3 news coming out recently.

MikeyBhoy89 likes this.
  18. MikeyBhoy89 Stranger In Paradise

Fav Celtic Player:
    Varga
    Fav Celtic Song:
    o
    Played a few games on apex legends, good stuff way better than fortnite - quite hard though.

Get paid on Friday and days gone is out, dunno whether to go for it or will for reviews/drop in price. Still got RDR 2 from Xmas and haven’t even panted it yet, waited for ages on it coming out but never seem to be in the mood to play it

19. Moustache

I’m in a similar boat regarding Days Gone. Some of the early rumblings about the story sound really positive, but unless it’s particularly great, I’m willing to wait a bit. In the past, I used to buy most of the’ big’ games at launch, but in the last two or so years I’ve probably only bought about four games at full price. Unless it’s something that I absolutely want to play ASAP, I usually wait six months to a year and buy it then. By that point most games are probably about half price and/or they’ve released a GOTY Edition, so I’m saving money either way.

In regards to RDR2, I’d definitely recommend giving it a shot at some point. It’s not perfect, but it’s undoubtedly one of the best games of the current gen - I still think about it from time to time. Besides, if you do play it, and you take as long to finish it as I did (nearly three months!), Days Gone will probably be a bit cheaper by the time you get around to buying it :giggle1:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Artorias likes this.
  20. Keano88

Same here.