1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shameless - US

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by D'Ecosse, Apr 4, 2019.

Discuss Shameless - US in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. D'Ecosse

I have had the Shameless (US) on my watchlist for the longest time but never quite felt the urge to start it until bit a bit of a lull as the list was running down and new series not yet released. But with 9 series in the bag and popular reviews, it pretty much had to be good, right?

So far have powered through first couple of series and really hooked on it. Just started series 3 tonight and watched 3 episodes back to back.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1586680/

You'll recognize William H Macy as Frank Gallagher - from the Fargo movie (the original Coen Brothers movie, not the series) - but the entire cast is excellent, especially the 'kids'. And Joan Cusak as Sheila is fabulous - she got the part after Alison Janney (Best Supporting Actress Oscar for 'I Tonya') dropped out - some things were just meant to be!

I had never seen the original UK series - already in the States when it was on and it never made it over here. After watching some of the US series I was curious about the original and watched the original pilot episode - I was particularly intrigued to do so after seeing 'Steve' was played by James McAvoy. The script for both pilots was absolutely identical. Not sure how far that continued (imagine at least the first series) but from what I read, the UK version changed focus to a new family, the McGuires? The US series appears to stick with the Gallaghers the whole way.

Anyway, not sure if anyone watched the original - whether or not, I can definitely give the US version a two thumbs up.

Certainly be interested to hear opinions about the UK series, but it will be hard to watch after the US one, if for no other reason than the (somewhat) familiarity and the sheer length of it! (11 series!!!)

2. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

I much prefer the US version. The first 5 or 6 seasons are great, but like most American shows starts to plummet downhill from there.

3. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

I'll never watch it,never have liked (or saw the point) in US adaptions of UK series.

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I’m still adamant that the UK Office is better than the US, despite the success it had. Mind they tried to make their own Inbetweeners and the pilot episode was a direct copy of the British one. It was excruciating to watch.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  5. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

The US Office was successful because after the first season it wasn't a direct copy. It became it's own show, and until season 6 was great. But Americans tend to do things to death and never know when to call it quits.

MacEwan likes this.