1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic and the next 5 yrs

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Creativecelt, Apr 7, 2019.

Discuss Celtic and the next 5 yrs in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    I have been reading an interesting article about Ajax. This has got me thinking about the similarities between Celtic and Ajax, and the possible way ahead for Celtic.

We are clearly dominating in on the domestic front, but not managing to make suitable progress in Europe.

We hired a High Profile manager, In BR to deliver this, and Ultimately he failed on this account. Yes he qualified for the groups, but no progress has been Made in this area.

The recent AJAX success, appears to be built on talented, Intelligent and forward thinking former players, taking the reins in the background set up of the club. (Van der Sar, Bergkamp and Overmars.)

Do we have these types of Former players, that could be recruited to Develop the academy, Build the scouting network domestically and internationally, and help drive the club into a higher standard in Achievement. Whilst also selling the club, to talented youngsters from their part of the world?

We seem a bit fixated on who the next manager is, which is important in attracting players with potential. But we need to be getting more players Like DUFF, MALONEY, etc that have the intelligence and vision to add to things in the SUPPORT STAFF of the club.

It appears that the nucleus of the next 1st team, have been signed up to long term contracts. One of the interesting things VDS, did was Identify the Key 7 Youngsters and Brought them in and played a Video which showed them which AJAX great they had the potential to Aspire to in their particular position, of the 7 youngsters that they approached only Justin Kluivert decided to leave. The ones that remained became the spine of the side that has recently beat Real Madrid.

I think we should be reviewing our coaching structure throughout the Academy age levels, getting in a top level young coach/manager to supervise and innovate. Inviting former players to return and get involved.

There must be opportunities for these coaches or staff to progress to the top and ultimately replace Senior Staff when they move on.

2. oh bhoy

Going for 55:party22:
    Up the ra

3. Jeremie Frimpong

Bergkamp, Overmars and van der Sar were world-class players. If profile is important, then Duff and Maloney fall some way short of them.

I would be all for involving high-profile former players in our set-up, but only those who are also excellent coaches.

4. Goggzy60

It would also need be big name players in there own country so Duff Larsson Nakamura guys like that even Lubo come to mind

5. wulliebad

Think i read some where that Ajax were spending what we would consider big money....15 million for a player......if we spent that we would do as well as them.

6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Thing is they way they run their youth set up is top class, we should be looking at that before we spend 15 million for a player.

The amount of academy players that come through is unreal added with some quality signings.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Let’s be honest, UK/Irish players are some of the thickest about.

Even in a football sense their analysis of matches seems to be moaning about defenders passing the ball from the back or talking about how you aren’t allowed to tackle anymore.

I think we should try and get young coaches, scouts etc into the club and try be innovative but I can’t think of any ex players that I’d have near the club just now in an important role.

The likes of Brown, Forrest and McGregor should be given roles in the academy as soon as they’ve retired.

The IRA and Westlondonscot like this.
  8. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    I think there are things to take from a Similar sized club with a similar income/budget. Maybe they have just got lucky that all their Ex players are business and football administration gurus.
    We need the Likes of Broony, being recruited and given a position in the Academy.

9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’m pretty sure the likes of Ajax and Bayern help get their ex players the qualifications so they can eventually get those positions.

There was an article about Van Der Sar not too long ago about how they basically had him shadow their CEO or whatever for a year before he took over.

10. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Also the coaching is entirely different.
    From the age of 5-7 onwards continental players are coached in the way of technique, tactics and looking after themselves.
    I read an article a while back that Ajax youth players play training drills that involve them having hundreds of touches of the ball each session.
    Running is kept to a minimum.

Anyone in this country remember training as a kid?
    Run, jump, run, sprint.
    Play 5 a side. Run some more. Jump some more.
    Then play 11 v 11.
    Only time you saw a ball was * about before the session started proper and then in the 5 a side.

rickyroma25 and Callum McGregor like this.
  11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ajax are streets ahead of us in a lot of ways so I don’t think the comparison is useful.

12. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Celtic and the next 5 years? 13iar. :celt_2::papal:

StPauli1916 and Gully Sands like this.
  13. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We're moving in the right direction, I think we just need to up it to the next level. I don't agree with the idea of giving jobs to former players unless they have the same vision. We should be looking at spending less money on transfers and more on youth, coaching, scouting and training facilities.

Our first team will always have short term in mind due to the need for instant success but there should be less pressure on the youths winning and more emphasis put on the way they play the game.

14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I think it's useful if we try and follow that model to replicate what they are so far ahead of us at.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Diet, lifestyle, population, and attractiveness of the league are all against us and very difficult to change.

16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We’ve seen the levels guy like McGregor, Forrest and KT have reached.
    What we need to do invest in getting top coaches into the academy so they get the best coaching available sooner.

17. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    ok

18. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Difference between being given a role in the academy and being a CEO or a DOF.

19. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    2 of the players you mentioned plus KT prove that it is possible to get decent players from our youth.

The issue as I see it is that there is not a great talent pool coming through in Scotland and we will suffer from that. Perhaps spending more scouting youth in Scotland and Ireland would unearth one or two more however if we want to get anywhere near what Ajax get through then we will have to scout youth from across Europe. Scandinavia and eastern Europe being the obvious choice where the talent is under scrutinized by clubs more attractive than us.

The problem now is if our club is brexited we will need permits to sign players from these countries so this boat may well have sailed.

20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What are you talking about? I never said it wasn’t possible to get decent players from our academy.