1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic and the English Market

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Mar 25, 2019.

Discuss Celtic and the English Market in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Ok so no players from the English leagues unless they're black :fear:

2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Many of youth set up will be fine domestically but I wouldn't want to rely on Champions league games. Players like Bain, Griff, Christie and Brown are guys brought in who have shown they need to be part of that 8 home grown but we had to bring them in.

3. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Ryan Kent £8-£10m, ffs, I must be worth around £3m at my age down there.

HTG and LectersLuncheon like this.
  4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Top of my head, we would be looking at Tierney, Forrest, McGregor and Henderson as the 4 club trained players next year. Bain, brown, Christie and Griffith's would be the 4 trained in Scotland.

We would also have ajer (I think becomes eligible), Ralston, Johnston, hazard, Gordon who would be in and around the squad for Europe as well. From a 25 man squad, that is leaving us with the need for 17 other players to fill that squad, for me those 17 should be of a good quality.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

LectersLuncheon and freitassen like this.
  5. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

yeah shouldnt be at english market unless there is a great deal to be had

the scottish market we still miss excellent players somehow andy robertson e.g. dont know why that is, we should be signing the top talent in scotland as a matter of course

6. JamesM09

Totally agree. Money is mental down there and reasonable buys will be few and far between.

The only English based players I would even look at are < 20 year olds that are already quality enough to be 1st team and could improve to be superstars. Ntcham, Dembélé being prime examples.

neilly1987 and Liam Scales like this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Dembele and Boyata two players who we exploited the compensations rules for, who I pointed out in the OP.

I didn’t say we should never look there, it shouldn’t be the market we consistently challenge though. If we can get a steal, like Sinclair, aye go for it. The likes of promising young guys like Ntcham... no brainer. What we seem to do is act like an English Championship club. We should be spreading our net far wider.

8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Boyata was a 1.5m signing rather than us taking a youth out of contract.

9. freitassen

Dembele, Ntcham and Boyata: French, french and almost french. We could, at least in theory, have snapped them directly from France and cut money and costs.

Sinclair wasn't exactly cheap, despite having a very lacklustre pre celtic career. As a measure of this, he has more goals for Celtic than in the entire rest of his career, and he arrived here at the age of 27. He will have no re selling value, un

I agree there are four good players there (or three good players and Boyata), but isn't exactly a motivation to keep looking at the most overpriced market of Earth.

10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    We should look at the english market like an apple store.

Glitzy, fancy lookin shop filled with cheaply made products designed to signify social status but have little real value. We should only go in in the event of a fire sale. Whilst we watch wallopers queue outside for hours to get their hands on the newest boondoggle (and watch sevco peruse the bargain bin for the out of date models that are out of date but still have an apple logo) we should amble down to road to currys and pick up a brand new huawei for a third of the price with twice the processing power. Or maybe a wee samsung if we're feeling sexy.

* the epl.

Been the richest league on the planet for nearly two decades and still havent come close to dominating european football since the 80's.