1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Selling the spine of a successful team will have a negative effect regardless.

If we kept Wilson, Wanyama and Hooper, or even any combination of two of those three, I think we’d have done better in Europe in 2013/14. Although, I do think Wanyama was fairly pivotal to how well we did in Europe that season.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    So you don’t think the spine of that team was Wilson, Wanyama and Hooper? You think leaving us with Tony Stokes as a lone striker option was good enough?

I disagree. Vehemently.

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Where did I say that? Stokes was the striker because Lennon signed Pukki and Amido Balde to replace Hooper.

Signed a completely different player in Bitton to replace Wanyama. Not even counting Beorrgiter who he was raving about and telling us how good he was going to be.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I think giving him the 6 month gig was a no brainer but what it does mean is if he steers the ship to 2 trophies not giving him the job full time creates a rod for the Board’s back. Next guy flops and they look very silly.

That being said I think we should be looking at all options and hopefully Lenny himself will understand why.

McManus4 likes this.
  5. Silky Hoops

Ambrose blighted Lenny's otherwise impeccable European record.
    Ambrose. Fucken Ambrose.
    Benfica. Jesus H. Christ.

6. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    you had it in for Rodgers when he was here questioning his signings and interviews when he was sweeping all before him, now it seems you have it in for Lennon too.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Not sure where to even start with that statement.

Murph-E and JC Anton like this.
  8. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Last good manager we had was Jock Stein and he went downhill after '67

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

To be absolutely fair, every Celtic manager struggles to compete at the highest level, that’s just the way it is..

Strachan actually delivered the best value on the European stage, but his domestic Football was a chore to watch..

It’s a thankless task expecting to win every game domestically, compete with the best in Europe at home and progress into the CL.. while playing Hamilton away the Sat before.. but that’s the way it is.. anyone who takes the job will need to realise how unique it is and quickly..

Lenny knows how unique it is which is a massive pro..

10. Mr Diggler

To be honest I am genuinely torn in what I think should be the long term solution. I love Lennon and he did a very good job with us before. Bolton was a write off but he did ok. Hibs he did brilliant and then I don't know what happened. But as others have said he did quite well in Europe and much better than Rodgers although Rodgers got a nightmare draw two years running. Transfer wise Lenno was more successful as well. For me Lennon did well as I say before so let's see how he goes until the end of the season. But let's say in categories out of ten the score for:

Domestic success:

Rodgers- 10/10. He was flawless. 7 out of 7.

Lennon 7.5/10- Never won the treble but did well enough domestically. Cup.results held him back.

Europe:

Rodgers 6/10- Did well to qualify for UCL 2 years running but results were pretty poor. Some real thumpings. Not so bad in the EL this year.

Lennon 8/10- Some early hiccups but once he found the formula that worked he did very well. Some great nights although some bad as well.

Transfer market:

Rodgers 5/10- Some good signings like Sinclair, Ntcham, Benkovic, Edouard Toure and Dembele mixed with * like De Vries, Mulumbu, Hayes, Eboue Kouassi, Commper. Hendry.

Lennon 8/10- Some fabulous signings like Van Dijk, Forster, Wanyama, Commons, Hooper, Lustig, Izzaguirre, Rogic, Griffiths. And others. Some * like Boerrigter and Balde but overall very good.

Style of football:

Rodgers 8.5/10- When in full flight a joy to watch. At other times slow and tepid. Overall quality though.

Lennon 7/10- Played some good stuff under Lennon. Always more pragmatic and less free flowing than under Rodgers but still overall pretty decent.

Record against them:

Rodgers 9.5/10- But for the defeat last time out it would be 10. Handed out some real thumpings. Scoring 5 on a few occasions home and away.

Lennon 7.5/10- Had a decent record against a far superior former club. Lost a few which hurt at the time but he did pretty well overall.

11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

BR =39
    NL =38

Lenny out :lenny2:

12. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    Would we have swapped an invincible season, the double treble and multiple spankings of the Huns for a last 16 place in Europe one season?

I know I wouldn't.

Diamond D, johnboy19 and Sydneysider like this.
  13. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I wouldn't trade the Barca result for any of the hun game results over the last few years.

StPauli1916, Bayern Bru and Gabriel like this.
  14. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Is that you Brendan?

15. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Ah but would you rather keep Boyata for a year or get the money it took to buy Wayana, VVD, Forrester & Hooper and still have change

Mystic Penguin likes this.
  16. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    But would you have swapped an invincible season, the double treble and multiple spankings of the Huns for the Barca result and a last 16 place in Europe one season?

Rodgers results in Europe were pretty rank but his domestic dominance brought me some of my greatest moments as a Celtic fan. It's daft to try and pretend that Europe is the be all and end all and our domestic dominance is insignificant. Indeed, that's the argument Celtic's detractors have been making for years.

I love Lenny, think he's a nice guy in real life and a legend for coming to our aid when we needed him. But I hope he gets the job by showing he can build on our domestic dominance, not by sacrificing it to keep the score down in Chanpuons League games.

17. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    I went back and rewatched that dundee game again. jesus that team selection was baffling and substitutions even more so. Such a poor display

Sorry Neil, unless you can reinvigorate this team by the end of the season you are definitely not the man for the upcoming and most crucial 2 years of the club's history.

18. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    I think in the time Lenny has been back, the results are one thing, but the performances have been poor to watch. But, at the end of the day football is a results based business, and if we skelped the huns and qualified for the latter stages of the CL playing not the most attractive football, we probably wouldn't be complaining. Funny old world.

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Hayes made an impact was excellent when he came on, Ajer was injured and had to come off & Weah has been a revelation from the bench..

And I'm sorry this isn't the most important two years in our history.. the two years where we saved our club from liquidation were the most important.. it was tough but we paid our bills and our history lives on. Those early McCann years built the foundations for the push for the 10.. :50:

20. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Were so close to 10inarow ,2 more after this one and if its Lennon we go with fine by me , he knows how to win and manage the club and he WILL be backed as heavily as we can , too important not to for 1, and if we make the CL it makes 10 a certainty.

Mystic Penguin likes this.