1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dundee v Celtic, SPL,Sun 17th March 2019, KO:12:30. Sky Sports Football.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC Anton, Mar 10, 2019.

Discuss Dundee v Celtic, SPL,Sun 17th March 2019, KO:12:30. Sky Sports Football. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cmcgregor90

Ehmmm the fact you could see his set up and team in any games before he left maybe gives it away

2. freitassen

There was a point in the second half were two guys of their team fell with very lite "head knocks" in the interval of three minutes. This * instructed his team to waste time from the beggining and doesn't have any idea where all those minutes came from.

MagicBallBhoy and Rydo1888* like this.
  3. Popes 11 Guest

who's picking the team starting 11?

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Paul The Tim.

5. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Poor performance but 3 points. And it also helps that it came just when they would be beginning to believe they had dodged a bullet and stayed the 8 behind.

6. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Well we made hard work of that who cares 10 points clear yaaassss enjoy the rest of StPatricks day Bhoys and Ghirls

7. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    Lenny is on a hiding to nothing right now. If he changes the team / tactics and we lose games, he will get slaughtered. If he doesn't change things and let's the team play out the rest of the season the way they have been coached under Rodgers. It looks like he is not the right man for the job.

As he has said. It's not broken so don't try to fix it. But, he also mentions we need more urgency and attack, so he knows there's something to do. Perhaps right now is not the right time to do it.

I have sat through umpteen white performances like that at home under Rodgers and people on here where complaining about back passes, slow play etc. Some of those games where worse than today.......

I don't know if Lenny is the right guy or not. But, I do know he will sweat blood for us. It maybe that he waits until the season ends before making his mark.

Was raging at him bringing on Hayes. For me he changed the game. So what do I know.....

8. Popes 11 Guest

He's not so bad after all.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Matt McGlone helps out.

10. Popes 11 Guest

free t shirt and alternative view..in the post!

11. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Not disputing the penalty that wasn't given. No chance Madden was ever going to give that. And not complaining about the goal that we did get, that there really was only one team trying to win that game today - and because of that we deserved it. But football is not about simply deserving it. It's about earning it.

It was a win but we really shouldn't be needing to rely on a 96th minute winner over a team battling relegation. It was a win in a game that we really didn't do ourselves too many favours. The definition of insanity, to quote Einstein, is to do the same thing over and over, and expect different results.

So what was it that we were doing?

The Bhoys are at their best when they play quick expansive football with sharp passing and movement off the ball. How did we score? By doing those things.

By contrast, what did we do for most of today's game though? Dominated posession and field position, slowly building, passing it along the backline and out wide, before eventually someone would hit it into the area, which with so many defenders there, Dundee was able to contend with easily.

As we saw today too many times working hard is not the same as working smart.

Without someone like Rogic who is so good with the ball at his feet in those tight areas and drawing in defenders which creates space for teammates to do damage. The last few games have underlined how much we have been missing him and Christie in different ways.

It also underlines an area that we have not been utilizing anywhere near well enough for far too long. When the Plan A as mentioned above is not working, we are not really doing enough to use Plan B. Plan B should be what Lennon can really do to improve this team.

Namely, set pieces.

It doesn't matter if we are playing Dundee or PSG, teams don't mind conceding corners etc because we rarely do anything with them. Our play earns so many of these opportunities, which come to nothing. Now, while usually in Scotland we have enough to play through teams, or get that one opportunity like today, where we can get that killer goal, if things are not going quite right, then we need to find other ways to score goals.

Tommy25, dmac, Big els and 1 other person like this.
  12. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Eddy’s aguerro moment, guys like Mikey Johnson and Ewan Henderson both show they have talent and I know they are still young bhoys but they seriously need to take a leaf out of Ryan Christie’s book and bulk themselves up in the gym or they will just be easily brushed aside like rag dolls

13. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    At the end of the day it's the points that count and we got all 3 so i suppose it's job done. Look at the bigger picture though and i'm starting to worry. Had today's dire performance been a one-off then no problem but these poor displays are starting to become the rule not the exception. Lennon is 99% certain to become permanent manager and though he has a good record on paper since coming back(W3 D1) he has made some really bad choices RE team selection and his tactics have been poor. The team has been in a gradual decline, performance wise, since BR 1st superb season and i think the double treble last year papered over the cracks a little as i suspect the treble treble would do this year. IMO only a real top-class manager(the best we can afford anyway) will keep this set of players on their toes and get the best out of them. As much as i like and admire NL i can only see his permanent appointment being a step backwards in the long run.

Tommy25 likes this.
  14. clonbhoy

It is definitely the best way to win a game, think of all the televisions that have been booted!

It is great that the team keep going as they do, when the board went up I felt like we would score and they did. That is an attribute that can't be overlooked.
    Even if we had drawn, I felt the over-reaction at Lenny would be a bit unnecessary. He wouldn't be my first-choice to get the job full-time, I think we need someone a bit different, but there is always going to be a little bit of transition. I also feel that a lot our players have been very lax at times this season and that continued today. That isn't going to change overnight.
    Edouard, for example, is a wonderfully talented footballer, but at times his attitude is appalling. The goal showed him at his best; skill, desire, timing and composure. It was a typical Edouard goal, but the previous 95 minutes were equally as typical from him.
    It is probably harsh to just single him out, but he is the most frustrating. I think others have expressed it with Forrest, which I find extremely harsh. It isn't always working for him at the moment, but his attitude is spot-on. He keeps trying, keeps looking for the ball and working hard for the team. In his case, it seems to be the fact that he keeps looking for the ball and keeps trying that gets him singled out.
    Overall today, I would give only Bain, Brown and Hayes'good' marks. Bain made one wonderful save and while Brown made one or two poor passes and decisions, overall he did exactly what we expect from him. I thought Hayes was great and showed why Lenny brought him on. His urgency and fight was exactly what was needed at the time.

I do think 3-5-2 is something that Lenny should take a look at now Benkovic is back, providing Ajer is okay. Toljan isn't up to it at right-back and this might be a way of solving the problem. I also think we need two in the box if we are getting crosses in early. Bayo needs a go at this as Edouard's movement for crosses is dreadful. It just isn't part of his game but it is something we need as an option on days like today.
    We also need Rogic back. He is someone that can regularly find space and shoot from 20- 25 yards, another option we are lacking. Young Mikey has a lot of potential, but I think a loan for a few months at the start of next season could be the making of him.

More importantly, I * loved that celebration from Lenny. A genuinely beautiful human being.

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Christie is 23/24 though as was McGregor whe he first started turning it on even McGeady took until 22/23 before hitting top gear and Maloney also 23, Forrest was about 25.

Henderson and Johnston are like 18 and 19 and still 1-2 maybe 3 years before filling out into actual real players but they have technical quality, vision and awareness that cant be taught.

People seem to always talk like a young player should be top quality from the age of 18 or else theyre pish. But usually it takes a young player 150-200 games before they hit form and consistency and 250+ before they're at their best.

PorchBhoy67 and Random Review like this.
  16. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Give him time. Most of those problems you mentioned have been problems since Ronny and continued under Rodgers (certainly our corners and free kicks). Give him a summer to get in key players for his ideas and a pre-season to get those ideas across.

17. Easter Rd Davie Once a Celt, Always a Celt Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    In The Heat of Lisbon
    If you saw the match you’d realise there were at least 3 players treated on the pitch for head knocks in the 2nd half, plus all 6 substitutions - plus the usual time wasting - I think there should’ve been 6 minutes AT LEAST.

PorchBhoy67 likes this.
  18. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    I said last week....Hayes before Johnstone every day of the week.

Lennon a big no for next year for me.

Gully Sands likes this.
  19. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Tbf mate mcgeady battered the gym and admits he had to bulk up as he was getting easily pushed off the ball as a teenager

Guys like dembele n eduard were naturally strong young bhoys as teenagers but Henderson and Johnson aren’t, agree they may still fill out, just feel a bit more strength would improve them as players especially in this day and age were a lot of teams we are playing against like today, Livingston, killie etc are physical teams

20. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    That was a worryingly poor performance but what a fantastic finale.

Tommy25 likes this.