1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, true. Mental that we've been deprived of his services for 3 months because of those * Aussies.

Blochairnbhoy, rkid and McChiellini.. like this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Even more galling when their * of a manager was slagging us off for playing him with knee injections, but then did so against pub side's who embarrassed them in their equivalent of the Ramsden cup..

3. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Lennon lifting 10inarow would be far more significant than Rodgers , he would have started and ended it not only that it would tip them over the edge.

4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I think he is fine I think Lenny is saying he is a bit off in case the * call him up before the huns game!

McChiellini.. likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Have read and heard a lot about how Lennon is a lot more pragmatic and defensive in Europe and this will translate to better results for us. I don’t think that’s necessarily the case.

I can think of plenty of examples of times Rodgers set us up with what would be considered quite “negative” formations. We played a 4-5-1 which shifted to a 3-5-2 against Zenit, against Bayern, something similar away to Valencia. I think the idea that he played too gung ho in Europe is exaggerated. We lacked a lot in Europe under him but we didn’t get pumped 5-0 by PSG at home or 7-0 by Barca because we were piling players forward, we got humped in those games mainly due to poor individual errors and weak mentality. Conceding goals at poor times, heads dropping and so on..

Lenny played a 4-4-2 at home to Barcelona, probably one of the greatest footballing sides ever, and we won 2-1. We had to defend a lot and we did it very well but I think we did that because Lennon as a man was able to get more out of the players, as a motivator just has something a little special about him. Kelvin Wilson said when he was warming up that night he felt 10 feet tall and like he could beat anyone. I don’t think our players ever felt like that under Rodgers in Europe, and as a squad that achieved an invincible treble they really should have been in that mindset.

There’s nothing overly complicated about what Lennon looks from his players, I think it was Joe Ledley that said Lennon isn’t overly into shape as you cant predict where the ball will be in any given scenario on the pitch, but what he demands is that when we don’t have the ball everyone gets behind it. Add an at times unplayable outlet in Samaras, a solid as * spine and a dangerous set piece taker in Mulgrew on top of that and we were laughing.

Hoping he gets the job and can have a similar impact in Europe but I don’t think it’s as black and white as “we need to be defensive to get results. He’s defensive so we’ll do better.”

7. Mo-Neill12

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larrson + Agathe
    Excellent post, cheers Deebo. Was at that match against Barcelona and there was a certain magic in the air that evening, a quiet confidence amongst the support that the players picked up on. Haven't felt this excited about Celtic for a good while, hopefully the team has enough time under Lenny between now and the start of the next European campaign to gel together these philsophies along with the tactics learned under Rodgers to help us pick up the pace in the CL. Of course it's a big ask, but stranger things have happened under our current fearless leader :50:

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Great to see the madman celebrating, Rodgers would be standing there like his granny had just died at the winner.

10. KingArtur'1

Hes a celtic man and legend in his own right. But hes not the awnser come summer

Xatraps, Onefootwonder and freitassen like this.
  11. Mevin Gold Member Gold Member

aye cause we'd have been up 5-0 by then

HTG, Officer Doofy and Clint Eastwood like this.
  12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Like when we beat them 1-0 at Celtic Park earlier this season? Or is it because of absolutely glittering away form under BR this season.

3 away wins on the bounce now...First time we’ve done that this season.

13. freitassen

I love the guy, the passion, and such, but this is the third pish league match in a row. Dundee has the worst squad of the league. Forrest looks like he unlearned to play football. Bringing Hayes was right but keeping Forrest and Sinclair on the pitch was wrong. Sometimes the three were piled up in the same point of the pitch almost taking the ball from each other. Took too long to bring in a second striker. Almost everything I hated from Rodgers time is still here (unflexible 4-2-3-1 formation with strikers accumulating in the bench, lack of directness, lack of urgency, etc) We were lucky again, but as the IRA says, one can't always be lucky. My enthusiasm died out and I would really prefer we got someone else in the summer.

SuperZidane likes this.
  14. Bonobhoy

Such a difficult call this,his subs and tactics at start were *...But because he just bleeds the club i also want him here.

Honestly dont know what to think.

freitassen likes this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Love the guy, but he’s not the answer.

16. Mevin Gold Member Gold Member

Like when we beat them 3-0 at parkhead you mean?

and beat them 5-0 last time we played there

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Real credit to him for stepping in but he's not the answer full time we need much better, his football is * and his subs have been pish the last two games.

CelticBoabie likes this.
  19. freitassen

Taking only the away games into account, we would be tied with Aberdeen, that because they have a game in hand and because Lennon won the last two away games.

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member