1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikael Lustig

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Mar 3, 2012.

Discuss Mikael Lustig in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. wulliebad

give him another year.....cant afford to lose any more defenders ffs.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No way should be given a new deal.

We need to go and get a first choice RB badly.

celticfan01 and trackebhoy like this.
  3. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Said it before but I love the big man so much I'll say it again, I think we should try our hardest to keep players like Mikel, he loves the club like a fans with sincere passion and he's also a very good experienced defender who I think would make a good coach. Just being part of Celtic would make him put as much into it as he did when he is on the pitch.

No one celebrates like him, he's absolutely hair tingling amongst it with the fans. I must say though I'm impressed with Tim's celebrations, he totally loves the fans as well :party22:

Bet Mikel plays 'Lucky Man' in his car on the way to and from training every day :ynwacelti

I was gutted about Lustig coming to the end of his career and quite doubtful we could afford to replace him but for all the pish the scouts have brung here Toljan makes up for a lot of it, he's looking very good and I think we did well there.

4. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

I've still got the fear from him against AEK..

We need a right back in through the door before even the first round against some part time mob. Get the sentiment, but it's just asking for the "Invest once we get there" mentality.

5. kenyan_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I am straight up in love with Lustig and whether he's here as back up, first choice, coaching staff or tea lady I want him here for the 10.

6. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I don't think he was the only one under performing that game.

What's wrong with Toljan and Lustig as back up just now?

We do need to strengthen defence especially if Benkovic goes so we're probably better investing in a quality CB. Mikel has another year in him as a back up player.

Obviously I don't mind getting a player for any position if he's already proven to be good. No more gambles please.

If we do go into a 10th season with 9iar like @kenyan_bhoy I want to see Lustig still part of the club in some capacity.

For sure he'll have a season ticket :party048:

Tommy25 and bagforlife like this.
  7. Pacific Ocean Blue

Give him a new contract, he's a good option to have on the bench

Tommy25 and Lilac Wine like this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

If there’s a years option then maybe, he’s looked good since the break and is experienced..

However my head says sign a class a first choice and then use Perez and Ralston to deputise.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Reports of Mikael Lustig’s demise appear to have been greatly exaggerated.

The expectancy has been that Lustig will return to his homeland at the end of the season without Celtic triggering the additional year on his contract but Neil Lennon believes that there is still something for Lustig, capped 73 times for Sweden, to offer.

Indeed, Lennon has hinted that the fullback could yet remain at Celtic beyond this season if the Irishman gets the Parkhead job on a permanent basis.

Prior to his departure from the club last week Brendan Rodgers had pointed towards Lustig’s time at the club coming to an end with a public courting of a right-back. That was addressed in the short-term with Jeremy Toljan was brought in on loan in the January transfer window from Borussia Dortmund but was benched for the Scottish Cup win over Hibs on Saturday with Lustig restored to the starting XI.

Lustig has been linked with a move to Swedish side AIK, which would fit in with his domestic situation as it is believed the player favoured a return to Scandinavia to fit in with the education system for his two young daughters.

“I’m not writing him off, I know what he is capable of,” said Lennon, who signed the player for Celtic in 2012. “And what a player he is. What Mikael has done for the last seven or eight years is play non-stop football. Whether it be 40 or 50 games a season here or European qualifiers, World Cup qualifiers, finals.

“He has been through the rigours of a physically demanding season. He has been playing every game possible and eventually the fatigue or stiffness or whatever you want to call it creeps in.

“But this guy has been a top, top player for this club and a top player for his country as well and I think he’s got plenty to offer Celtic. I don’t know [what will happen] but we will sit down and discuss things.”

But this guy has been a top, top player for this club and a top player for his country as well and I think he’s got plenty to offer Celtic. I don’t know [what will happen] but we will sit down and discuss things.”

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

My head says 'No' but my hearts says 'Also no'.

celticfan01 likes this.
  11. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We'd still have to keep Lustig because it'll take time to find out how good any new recruit is. No way are Perez and Ralston as good as Lustig just now. I like Ralston, his attitude and style are great but he's not got the invaluable experience Mikel has which we will need to we know for sure about any replacement. Perez the American kid as a back up :43:

For some reason I thought we bought Toljan * it :54: Ah well, fingers crossed.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Perez is definitely rated so I’ve got high hopes for him..

But, aye like I say another year may work, we can afford it..

13. Mince.Charming

The problem is he will be on big wages and they can't be justified anymore. It would be a shame to lose a character that big from the dressing room but the wages need spent on our new rb.
    To be honest I've been impressed with Ralston the most this season. If tolijan was putting in the same level of performence he was, before he got injured, everycunt would be raving about him.

JC Anton and Seán Mac D like this.
  14. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    If we want to move forward as a club, having the likes of Izaguirre and Lustig here (whether back up or not) are not the answer. Ralston will give you the same as Lustig in the league and same with Hayes on the left. Paying over 15 grand a week for a guy because 'he get's us' and is a wind up merchant would be poor. One of the breaking points for Rodgers with him was the Aek Athens games where he was at fault 2 out of the 3 of the goals (Aek scored 2 goals in all their champions league group stage games), so surely as a club we've realised he is not fit for European games anymore and him being a part of Lennons plans is quite baffling- especially if he thinks that he will be reliable in Europe, not to mention the fact that when he was here he preferred Matthews + Telling Hibs players that he was the weakest link.

We wouldn't have even got out of the group stages if it wasn't for Sinclair and Edouard saving his * in the 2-1 win against Leipzig because he was at fault for their goal (he literally starts tracking the players run and then stops when the cross goes in?! Trying to avoid any responsibility. We are trying to be a side that is at least somewhat competitive in the Champions League yet he is a player that isn't even Europa League level anymore.

I think it will be a while before we all agree on who the right player is to play right back, it seems like whoever plays there will get stick from the fans for the slightest mistakes as we all pay closer attention, I mean Toljan hasn't been amazing but the way people go on you think he was worse than Cha Du Ri (In before 'he is better'). Apart from Bayern, Suduva (Gordan also at fault) and Barca all away, I've yet to see Gamboa have a bad game at Celtic Park from memory, we only lost 3 games with him playing and that was against those first two teams and he came on for 'injured' Lustig in the second half against Leipzig- BR threw him under the bus. So including Lustig all 3 players should be fighting for a contract next season and I hope Lennon isn't looking it with a closed mind.

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Agree with you. He'll be one of the top wages in the squad and playing competently against SPFL also-rans doesn't justify £20k+ per week for me. Kent tore him apart in December, Barrie McKay did it 24 months beforehand and he was poor for all 3 AEK goals which seen us crash out of the Champions League qualifiers.

For me non-negotiables for full backs at Celtic are: Rarely gets beat by his man, comfortable on the ball and has the legs to support in attack & defence. Lustig doesn't have any of those qualities.

Even a very limited player like Jordan Jones has given him a few torrid times in the past. Would you fancy Lustig's chances up against him in a match-up next season?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Mince.Charming likes this.
  16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Honestly wouldn't mind him sticking around in a reduced capacity if he would agree to it. You can't underestimate the importance of having characters like that in the dressing room.

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

If Lenny get the job he may give him the year just for his experience and keeping that mentality going..

Think his wife is keen to go home tho.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'd give his wife another 4 year deal.

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:56:

Seán Mac D likes this.
  20. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I haven't read anything about Perez or checked YouTube as they tend to give false impressions although I'm staking my house on Bayo making an exception to that because for the love of * if that guy isn't brilliant I just don't see the point in optimism, I mean what is if for if it's not for YouTube videos like his.

If Lustig has an option for an extension surely we can renegotiate a lower wage packet? He seems a very reasonable and realistic guy so I'm sure he'd settle for less if he it meant staying.

Doubt his kids educations will affect his decision as I'm sure they'll be getting taught by top class tutors here.

Even our Academy players get taught at one of the best schools in Scotland as far as I've read.

@celticfan01 You make some good points but at the end you say Brendan threw Gamboa under the bus while saying the mistakes Lustig made were nothing to do with Brendan's tactics in Europe which basically threw every defender under the bus. Not a sly dig at Brendan who was incredible domestically but it's obvious he has no off switch when it comes to attack in any situation. It's what makes and breaks him.