1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How much financial backing should Lennon get

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by stubhoy07, Feb 28, 2019.

Discuss How much financial backing should Lennon get in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    True.

Let's see who gets the job first (and I'd love it to be Lenny, assuming Pep doesn't want to leave ManCity), then the Board need to back them, without putting the club in financial difficulty. I also suspect the Board will not be as generous as the fans or the Manager think they should be.

Let's face it, we need a Goalie, a Right Back, a Centre Back, and a Striker. So that's 4 players at least who will probably cost £20m+. We also could do with a midfield general, as Broony is getting any younger.

My son has a theory that the Board are doing just enough to keep ahead of the rest, but are stock piling cash so that if the Tribute Act ever look like challenging, we have a pot of gold to splash out on 3 or 4 big players and leave them for dead. I am not that generous in my opinion of those who hold the purse strings.

2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I suspect the hoarding of cash is more to do with reduced expectations of CL group stage money and to help offset the loss. And I don't just mean from not qualifying, more that UEFA are clearly trying to make it more and more exclusive and I don't think it will be too much longer before it is impossible for us to get in.

3. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    I hadn't thought of that ....... That's a real possibility

4. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I'm not gonna play the this is the income we will generate therefore this is what we can spend game as the accounts are widely available for people to read. (some need to do this) We should remember though that we are looking to add a hotel although the funding source still seems to have not been decided on yet. Anyway, should he get the job, the good news is a few 'no * about' defenders shouldn't break the bank as midfield/up front isn't really a priority.

5. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It should be £20 million, to reconstruct the defense. Fortunately, even with all loans that end in the summer, we have enough players in attack and front midfield.

6. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Clear out the squad as soon as the transfer window opens and have a manager confirmed before it as well, then back them as much as Rodgers was. We need to build from the back with quality which will take a good chunk but with Rodgers and his staff gone there will be a good amount of wages freed up plus well over 6M compensation for all the ones Leicester took including the rat.

It would be huge to get Burke or Weah back for next season as well.

7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Getting six million for Rodgers softens the blow on the 9 we missed on boyata tbf the summer will be interesting indeed if money is spent the CL is a priority

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

8. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Aye and we'll probably get another 2M for the rest of his staff so not that bad, Boyata will realise he * up when he ends up as a bench warmer at a bottom EPL team, great at defending but * awful with the ball at his feet.

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The problem is what does £20m actually buy you? My opinion is usually * all. Players at £5 to 10m are not the finished article. Ntcham and Edouard are good players but have much to learn. Our defence is * due to past problems of not bringing in guys for £2 to 4m and developing them. My view is we may have to bring in an oldy or 2 at £2m to help develop the younger guys over the next couple of years or loaning players nearing their end. I also look at Toljan, a guy earning 30k a week and would likely cost £8m plus and I see mediocrity at a high value. Gone are the days of bring in guys like Harston, Sutton or Lenny for £6m. They would all be £20 to 30m players these days.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  10. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

I’m pretty sure everyone of the managers had zero net spend as well with player sales.

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He'll probably get similar to what all the managers get. We usually spend £9-12million per season on players and will probably keep doing that whoever is incharge.

12. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We should try and sign Omeruo from Chelsea, he is in the Boyata or Kelvin Wilson mould where he defends really well and is positionally good and wins the ball easily off people although he's smaller and a bit pish in the air we do need a wise defender beside Ajer.

He is on loan at Leganes and they have an option to buy for €5million but he might rather come to us in the summer he will only have 1 year remaining at Chelsea so if he doesnt want to sign for them he might only cost £3-4million.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  13. Markybhoy

Before deciding how much financial backing he'll get, we first need to decide whether he is getting the manager's job. Personally I am not convinced that is the right way to go.

14. Keano88

Give the new man the £3m we get for winning the league plus the £6m we got for Rodgers to get a first choice RB and CB to start with.

15. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Regardless of whether it’s Lenny or not, whoever gets the job permanently should be given at least 20m to spend in the summer, massive rebuild to do.

16. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    We'll going for 9 in a row and then ten we should be spending a * load regardless of who the manager is.

17. W33kev

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson moravcik lambert
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa, athenry, willie maley,let the people sing
    In his first stint at celtic your talking pukki amido etc what about hooper stokes and you could class commons for his goals in that peroid and griff, then lennys stint at hibs he got good strikers for his budget.

18. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Wonder if the £6mil compensation from Leicester for Rodgers goes into the kitty

19. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Will go into the accounts 100% into the kitty then that’s another matter lol

20. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    If Lennon is made permanent manager and I think he will! He should be backed by as much as the club can afford without risking our finiacial security.

I also agree with Chris Sutton today we should bring back John Park.