1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Bain

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Jan 31, 2018.

Discuss Scott Bain in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maestro 08

The passing out from the back at all costs has been the single most damaging aspect of the tactics under Rodgers. Every team that has beaten us has exploited it. We are just not very good at it, i.e our centre halfs are not comfortable enough on the ball. By mixing it up more we will benefit and our CB's will gain more confidence as you can see that most of them have their confidence shot to pieces under Rodgers.

2. Diamond D

I'm absolutely not against kicking it up the park at times, but it shouldn't be the default. I think we struggled with it a lot more when Gordon was in goals, I think we've done better since Bain came in.

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I hope to * * we don’t start playing hoofball up the park again.

Tommy25, Rydo1888* and The IRA like this.
  4. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye i don't think many people are wanting yo play hoofball, but there is a need for it at times. Like yesterday, Bain should have just hoofed it, playing a pass to your CB when there is an attacker that close is ridiculous. Even if the pass is good and the defender has it under control you've got instant pressure from the other team, pointless.

5. smiddybar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Go back to page 1 you will find plenty of choices there :)

6. Diamond D

Yeah I can't argue at all with regards to that specific pass, it was dreadful. I am in favour of playing from the back when appropriate though. But it needs to be fast, direct, and purposeful, not dilly dally * around the defense and midfield

Tommy25 likes this.
  7. freitassen

It wasn't just Bain. Bain * up because he got a very stupid and pointless backpass from Boyata. The tippy tappy disease cant be blamed on just one player. Lennon will erradicate it, for sure. Bain had a very good match otherwise

Tommy25 and littlekennie like this.
  8. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Agree with this.

We should always look to be passing it out from the back.

However, there are some circumstances in which it is obviously prefable to go long (to a team-mate obviously)

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Silky Hoops

Bain is a fantastic goalkeeper, cool as a cucumber too. Problem position solved for Celtic for many years to come.
    He also deserves to be Scotland's No.1 goalkeeper too.

Tommy25 likes this.
  11. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Seen a headline about "why" gordon was missing and absolutely shat it. Really thought lenny was gonna tell us we were getting a return of the numpty.

Didnt even know he was injured... never mind injured through "over training". What are his * knees made of? Cheese?

Lenny was very complimentary about bain and will have seen the difference in the confidence of the back 4 with him in nets.

Tommy25 likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic goalkeeper Scott Bain might give Neil Lennon the “heebie jeebies” at times but the interim Parkhead manager has applauded the manner in which the 27-year-old has gone from being frozen out at Dundee to making himself first choice pick for club and possibly country in the space of 15 months.

Allan McGregor’s retirement from international football has opened the door for Bain as Scotlandprepare to embark upon their European Championships qualification campaign. Having taken the gloves from established keeper Craig Gordon at the turn of the year, Bain has shipped just two domestic goals and Lennon expects that dislodging him from his current position will take some doing

Lennon and Bain crossed paths briefly at Easter Road in January last year before Bain then switched to Celtic in a deadline day move that saw him turn up at Celtic Park still in his Hibs training kit.

“I only spent about a week with him at Hibs – maybe not even as much as that,” said Lennon. “I didn’t want to stop him going to Celtic. The by-product of that was that we got Scott Allan in the door at Hibs.

“It’s a brilliant opportunity for him. He’s ready for it. I think he’s been exceptionally good for us over the past couple of months. I see an improvement in him. He has good composure, great agility and he’s excellent with his feet.

“He has a chance now to make himself the Scotland No 1. It has been a meteoric rise for him over the last year or so. But he’s handled it extremely well. If he gets the opportunity, I’m sure he won’t let anyone down. He’s really grounded. Nothing ever seems to phase him. I think he’s got a good mentality. He comes across as quite laid back but his concentration levels are very good.”

If Bain is successful in the coming Scotland games against Kazakhstan and San Marino, there is every chance that he could firmly establish himself as first choice at international level in the same way he has quietly taken the position at Celtic

“Craig is still got plenty to offer so there is competition there but if Scott gets the call he won’t let anyone down that’s for sure,” said Lennon. “He is the typical modern day goalkeeper. He is very comfortable with the ball. He gives me the heebie jeebies sometimes but there you go. His actual faculties for a goalkeeper are very good – his agility, his handling, his positional sense and his calmness are all things that I like

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IT wasn’t so long ago that Scott Bain was training on his own in the Dundee gym, throwing a tennis ball off a wall and catching it just to keep his reflexes sharp. Now, he is Celtic’s first-choice goalkeeper and stands on the brink of a tilt at establishing himself as Scotland’s number one.

One man who never doubted his ability to make it at the top level, even during his period in the football wilderness after a fallout with Dens Park manager Neil McCann, was his goalkeeping coach Bobby Geddes

The Dundee legend says he was blown away by Bain when he walked in the door from Alloa and knew straight away that the sky was the limit for the precocious talent if he applied himself. And that was never going to be an issue.

“It was just a matter of time until he came through that tricky period with Dundee, although a wee bit of luck played its part too,” Geddes said.

“He went to Hibs and didn’t play much, but as a footballer player you need that bit of luck sometimes, and the opportunity came for him to go to Celtic.

“He certainly showed in his time with us that he was a top-class goalkeeper, and he has kicked on further since he has gone to Celtic. For Scotland, I don’t know who the number one will be, but he is certainly in with a real chance of establishing himself. If it is Bainy, I would have no qualms about him at all.

“When he was at the club, my feeling was that he could play wherever he wanted to. The sky was the limit, and he has shown that he not only had the belief but the ability to reach the level he is at now. And I think he can stay there.

“Bainy has got tremendous ability. He surprised me with how good he was if I’m being honest when he first came in from Alloa. He impressed right away. His handling was good, he had really quick feet.

He took about six months to break into the team, getting in when Kyle Letheren got injured during the warm-up at Motherwell. Kyle had been doing really well and had been called up by Wales, but he was patient and when his chance came he took it really well.”

There may have been many who were surprised by how seamlessly Bain has handled the weight of expectation that now sits on his shoulders as Celtic goalkeeper. He was thrown in for his debut on an Old Firm match at Ibrox after all, but Geddes knew that Bain’s self-belief was never going to be an issue.

It is that confidence that the 27-year-old has in his own ability, coupled with his adroitness with a ball at his feet, that made Geddes certain Celtic was a perfect fit for his former pupil.

“He is confident in his own ability, which you need to be if you are going to make it at the top level,” he said.

“That’s especially the case when you’re a goalkeeper, because you are going to make errors at some point in your career or have a period where you will struggle, so you need that confidence to bring you through that..

“He was also good with the ball at his feet. One of Neil McCann’s traits was that he wanted to play out from the back, and Bainy was a big part of it. It was one of the things that stood out when he first came, and we knew Bainy would be very comfortable with that. He was always comfortable with the ball at his feet.

“The type of character he is, I felt that with the way he plays from the back and with the belief he has in himself, he would be comfortable going into that environment at one of the Old Firm clubs. Brendan Rodgers and Stevie Woods must take a lot of credit for the way they have handled him and the way he has settled in.”

Getting the gloves for Celtic and Scotland may be challenges that Bain has conquered, but keeping them is another thing altogether, especially with a former custodian of both roles in Craig Gordon breathing down his neck to regain those positions.

But for Geddes, there is more chance of Bain’s game going up yet another level than there is of him letting his standards drop.

“There is still a lot of improvement in him,” he said. “To carry on playing at the level he is at with Celtic, then he is going to have to keep working at his game.

“I’m sure that the fans will be very unforgiving if his standards dip, and at Celtic, you always have fierce competition for the jersey.

“Craig Gordon will be desperate to get back into the side, so he is going to have to keep on his toes to keep his place.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  14. PEI#1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Loving this guys contribution.....seems to keep good levels of concentration throughout even really boring games....definitely like him way more than CG now.....not even close actually.

15. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Loved his celebration when we scored getting it up the * booing and calling him a *

Great important saves ...our new Scotland #1 if alky has a brain

Tommy25 and PEI#1 like this.
  16. Popes 11 Guest

in a word?
    Calm.

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Love him.

Tommy25 likes this.
  18. Silky Hoops

Meteoric rise to fame, stardom and fortune for Scott Bain and he deserves it.
    Especially after the way Neil McCann treated him.

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Important save at the end if the 1st..

Celtics no1

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Tremendous.

Tommy25 likes this.