1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Andrew Gutman

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by 88jimmij88, Feb 3, 2019.

Discuss Andrew Gutman in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TrueTim67

Fav Celtic Player:
    None at present but idolised Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    5CBCEEA3-5C85-491A-8E86-4547CB8C422D.jpeg

Bayern Bru, Tommy25, Conlon and 2 others like this.
  2. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Very good. Playing for the first team in a competitive game I mean.

TrueTim67 likes this.
  3. The Celtbot

I live right down the road from where Charlotte play, so maybe I'll catch a few games this year. Didn't realize Jim McGuinness was their manager.

4. Keano88

Keep us in the loop if you do, good pal.

5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Has to go full baldy before he'll look Celtic class.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AMERICAN youngster, Andrew Gutman who signed for the Hoops on a three-and-a-half-year contract earlier this year, has joined United Soccer League Championship side, Charlotte Independence on a loan deal.

The 22-year-old defender will team up with former Celtic youth coach, Jim McGuinness who was appointed manager of the American club in December.

On joining the Hoops, Gutman said: “When I realised Celtic FC wanted to sign me permanently, I was really honoured. I know Celtic is a huge name in football, they have tremendous supporters and it is a club where I believe I can flourish as a player.

"For the immediate period I will be focusing on my loan in America where I look forward to playing as many matches as I can. After that, I can’t wait to join Celtic and be part of such a storied institution.”

He said on sealing the deal with Charlotte Independence: “My goal is to get back to Celtic. Having Jim here, he knows the Celtic way very well, so I'm excited to learn under him, and I'm looking forward to getting the season going.”

Everyone at Celtic wishes Andrew all the best in his loan spell with Charlotte Independence.

Charlotte (NC) — The Charlotte Independence professional soccer team announced the club has acquired defender Andrew Gutman on loan from iconic Scottish Premiership side Celtic FC, pending league and federation approval. A former Indiana Hoosier, Gutman received the 2018 MAC Hermann Trophy, awarded to the top collegiate soccer player.

"I'm excited to join the Independence," said Gutman. "While I'm here I want to contribute as much as I can. I want to do everything I can to help the team win. Being a professional brings new goals and new challenges, so I'm putting the Hermann Trophy behind me and trying to achieve new goals."

During his senior season at Indiana University, Gutman lead the Hoosiers in scoring and anchored a defensive unit which lead the NCAA in shutouts (14), en route to a Big 10 Championship, Big 10 Tournament Championship and NCAA College Cup semifinals appearance. Indiana has been a top program with Gutman in their ranks, going 63-11-17 (win-loss-draw) since 2015, including an undefeated 2017 regular season culminating in an NCAA College Cup finals appearance. In his four year collegiate career, Gutman scored 20 goals, logged 17 assists and made 90 appearances, as well as, being named NCAA First-Team All-American, Big 10 Defender of the Year and TopDrawerSoccer.com National Player of the Year. In 2016, the product of the Chicago Fire youth academy competed for USL League Two side Chicago United FC.

It's absolutely fantastic to get Andrew,” said Independence Head Coach Jim McGuinness. “He's everything that we're looking for, with his energy, his dynamic ability, and his attacking mentality. You want guys with a good attitude and a natural work ethic and I think he's got all those things.”

Since completing his collegiate career, the 22-year-old has been playing in Scotland on trial for Rangers FC. Gutman signed a three-and-a-half-year contract with Celtic on January 31st. New Independence Head Coach and former Celtic U-20 assistant, Jim McGuinness is excited to expand the relationship with Celtic Manager Brendan Rodgers and his club.

“We've got a strong connection with Celtic and obviously, I spent a number of years there,” said McGuinness. “Building a relationship with a world-renowned club like that is very exciting. We want to add more players to that, as well.”

Gutman becomes the twelfth player added to the 2019 rosters, joining recently re-signed Independence legend and USL Championship second all-time leading goal scorer Jorge Herrera and two-time USL Championship MVP finalist Enzo Martinez. Gutman will be in action this Saturday, February 23rd for the Independence’s third pre-season match at in-state rivals, North Carolina FC.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Tommy25 likes this.
  8. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

I’ll have the other 1%.

9. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

1000000v’s bet?

10. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Loaned out to a poor level in the week Izzy looked to be crocked and KT still on the sidelines...

11. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He'll never break through here. 22 and isn't deemed good enough to play even tho we have no * at left back atm.

12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    We really need to stop making these type of signings, it's a complete and utter waste of time and money.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Tom Rogic was "this type of signing", no?

The67Sound and Liam Scales like this.
  14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Did he not make his debut a month after signing ?

15. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Not sure mate. What do you mean by this type of signing anyway? I don't see any issue with signing a guy for next to nothing. He's obviously shown something.

16. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Nah, Rogic was years younger, already an internationalist and a player of obvious talent. A player that stuck out like a sore thumb, despite his green footballing history. 6'2 of sheer silk.

Slaw likes this.
  17. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

I think the signings we should be making are those that can get into the 1st team squad straight away, we have wasted so much money on players who have hardly seen any first team action, hope the guy proves me wrong and turns out to be a great success, but for now i'll add him to the ever growing list of deadwood we currently have at our club.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He isn’t good enough...

There’s something going on with the American market just now, I’m not 100% what it is but it’s about to boom or buy up UK rights or something.

Pulisic to Chelsea was just the tip of the iceberg. No coincidence whatsoever we signed 3 Americans in 1 window when we’ve never had a single 1 play for us before.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Think they’re banking on links with America being stronger than ever after Brexit. Just my theory but could be pish.

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He’s concentrated on his education first so i don’t think his age is a factor at the moment.

greengrocer likes this.