1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Being pragmatic tactically isn't necessarily defensive..

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by McChiellini.., Feb 21, 2019.

Discuss Being pragmatic tactically isn't necessarily defensive.. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The biggest positive I'm taking from tonight is we can change how we play in Europe..

11 men on the pitch and we dominated and had quite a few half chances, and zero threat coming at us..

It isn't about always going toe to toe and being easy to read and play. We made adjustments tonight and they literally didn't have a clue how to combat it..

I'd like to see us adopt that kinda style at home as well as away if it means we'll retain possession better and no be exposed as much..

With some big hitters like KT and Rogic back and a real number 9, it'd work even better next season..

Lot's to be positive about moving forward after that, and realistically it was more than I was even hoping for..

shaunm, Rydo1888*, The IRA and 10 others like this.
  2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wot

Jokes, well said mate

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye I'm now looking at the title thinking does that even make sense :56:

Marty McFly likes this.
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye we set up well, we have tried a 3 at the back away in Europe before with varied success..

We miss a Wanyama type DM to protect the defence against superior opposition.. maybe Ajer could be utilised there for games like that.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  5. Mr. Slippyfist

As good as the centre backs may have been tonight (granted I never finished work till after 7) but from what I saw on the mobile the defending for the goal was absolutely abysmal.

Yet again that * plook-faced * Simunovic and his fuckface mercenary pal standing watching the forward Gameiro score.

Absolutely criminal and the type of brainless * at the back that have cost us time and time and time again in Europe over.

6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    It's good to mix it up and change things and i think we played really well tonight, but Valencia are a very defensively minded team, and given that they were 2 up from the first game i think they were happy to sit back or let us enjoy the lions share of possession.

It was still a good performance. :50:

7. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Not a fan of those two then?

8. Mr. Slippyfist

* hate them both with an unadulterated passion...

9. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Passion is a good thing, no?

10. joemc

Been advocating this style for a while ,it has brought us closer to wots needed to play these games ,its not as far off as we all thought .
    The players like ajer jozzo ,Bain, christie, will all get better from that a few wee adjustments up front and we have a chance of getting there ,hope it gives brendan encouragement like it has us and he stays long enough to see us make that step .

11. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What would really help us in Europe is to take advantage of set piece opportunities.

We all know that we are pretty ordinary in this aspect of the game, and domestically it doesn't matter as much, as we have the quality to be able to outplay teams with our passing game and general footballing ability. In Europe however, it is a significant step up in terms of the standard of players that we are coming up against. And it is here that it does effect us, as oppositions know that they can concede a foul or give away corners etc, knowing that it ultimately will not cost them too much.

I don't see this as being negative minded. It is pragmatic to have a plan B. Even in domestic football it doesn't hurt to think that if, for whatever reason, things are not clicking, that it may only take a moment of magic to create a goal, or if not that, to win a freekick or a corner, and be able to provide a goal threat from these situations.

Going into Europe and relying purely on our footballing ability, while idealistic, is not going to get us as many results as we would like, and our record backs that up. So if that is the plan A, applied using formation and tactics but not quite enough to break down defences that are better than what we tend to encounter domestically, then having that set piece threat is there to get us something here and there, and certainly wouldn't hurt our chances, that is for sure.

Random Review, Keano88 and andybhoy94 like this.
  12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Ajer is certainly useful in that he's comfortable enough to be able to slot in to the 6 from the back when on the ball and still have the 2 protecting behind..

I do know what you mean though. Kouassi was supposed to be that player..

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    We've slated them big time mate but they were good tonight. Especially divot face..

Hayes was the main culprit for that goal but they were all knackered by that point and putting everything on the line. Didn't collapse after and kept at it..

Aye a combination of us changing it up and then no knowing whether to stick or twist but we really did have them out of sorts in that first 35. They couldn't control the ball. Didn't even have a shot or win a corner till we went down to 10 if I remember right..

We bossed it and their crowd were really unhappy at that point..

The Prof likes this.
  14. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Agree completely this is one of the worst celtic teams in terms of threat from set pieces would add so much more to our game.

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I did think about him when I was posting but BR has used him as a sort of pressing midfielder.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  16. clonbhoy

A good right-back with an excellent delivery has to be out there somewhere.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye he's quite good at doing it from the front. Home to Zenit a perfect example..

JC Anton likes this.
  18. Maestro 08

100%. Some of our biggest results in Europe have come from exploiting set pieces. We arent enough of a threat from them and I get the impression its not as high up on the list of training ground routines as it has been under previous managers but it should be.

As Gareth Southgate will tell you even a * team can go deep in tournaments by concentrating on set plays.

19. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    We score that and yer singing the boys praises. Its a great goal, bit of quality from the best player on the park to create it out of nothing. Obviously can be stopped like all goals but nothing to give about at that stage of the game with 10 men.