1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Books you've read or are reading

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Kayal, May 28, 2011.

Discuss Books you've read or are reading in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. clonbhoy

A few I have read over the past couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

Picked this up in the library for no reason other than the name caught me eye. I don't want to be critical of the author as this was his first book, ambitiously the first of a trilogy, but it felt look he took an awful lot on with it. I know there was a lot going on at the time but it is a bit incredulous that one young man could fit so much in, especially such a boring one. It managed to be both unpredictable and unbelievable at the same time. It also felt that he had to shoehorn in items he discovered in research. It was a valiant effort, but I won't be bothering with the other two books. 1/5

[​IMG]

One of the most important books of Greenwood's generation, he wrote it on bits of paper while he tramped the streets he was writing about looking for work. At times it was difficult to read, which isn't a criticism of the book, more a byproduct of its brilliant and vivid realism. I am not sure if 'Love on the Dole' is thought in schools here, but if it isn't it should be.
    5/5

[​IMG]

A bit of a nostalgia trip with this one. Being a Cork lad, I was introduced to Cork's short story master as a child and I had almost forgotten how good he was at it. Often , I find that just as I am getting into a short story it has finished, meaning I prefer my fiction in fuller form, but O'Connor was brilliant at defying this logic. He was even better at telling stories from a child's point of view, giving a child's perspective of the * world. The stories in the book are laid out chronologically, from young childhood through manhood, but it is those early stories that remain the most important to me and, I hope, to everybody else from Cork.
    4/5

[​IMG]
    Maconie recreates the Jarrow march, alone, to see if the actions of those desperate men in 1936 had much resonance in a Britain that had just voted to leave the EU. I enjoyed Maconie's other books, Pies and Prejudice and Cider with Roadies, in particular, like him as a radio DJ, and, for a fella I have never met, I quite like him. We share, broadly, similar interests and musical tastes, some political views and a distrust of London. It was a safe bet that I would like this one. Whoever gave him the title of the 'Lancastrian Bill Bryson' in relation to this was doing him a disservice; he isn't anywhere near as smug or irritating as Bryson!
    4/5

[​IMG]
    Firstly, don't judge me. I know he is a *, I know he works for the S*n and I am of the opinion that he may be a closet Hun, but it was a quid in a book stall in a beautiful old church in Suffolk and I was curious. There are times where his passion for the game are enjoyable, as his hatred of London, something I can empathise with, but overall it is kind of what you expect. More than any of the other reasons to dislike him, somebody needs to tell him to stop trying so hard to be funny.
    2/5

2. clonbhoy

[​IMG]

I was a bit put off by the fact * was normally a science-fiction writer, his novel 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' was the basis for 'Bladerunner', but this is more an alternate history novel. It is fifteen years or so after WW2, a war the Germans and Japanese have won and rule the world. I think there is an Amazon series loosely based on it now. I hope they have taken on *'s wonderful dark humour and satire that made this book so enjoyable. As does the fact that none of the characters are likeable, all of them racially paranoid and desensitised by living in such a bizarre world. Entertaining and thought provoking.
    4/5

3. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  4. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Going for something a little different here ..

[​IMG]

neilly1987 likes this.
  5. clonbhoy

[​IMG]
    I thought this book would be right up my street and it should have been, but his style grated a bit. At times it felt like a personalised version of the Wikipedia entries of some places in England and their football teams. It never really flowed and, when it did, never for long enough.
    2/5
    [​IMG]
    I only came across this author by accident, I didn't think she would be my thing, but I think they are for everyone.
    She was a talented storyteller . 4/5

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  6. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished John Connolly's The Wrath of Angels. Classic Connolly as he merges the supernatural into the storyline with his main character PI Charllie Parker. Really enjoyed it as I usually do with his books.

[​IMG]

jake10 and Gully Sands like this.
  8. celts67

A prayer before dawn .A nightmare in Thailand

Quality book finished in 1 day about a scouse con boxer and heroin addict who goes to Thailand .Starts training with Thai boxers falls for a Thai girl .Relapses to drugs then ends up in a Thai s--thole jail .

neilly1987 likes this.
  9. celts67

10. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
  11. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Seen the film, it was worth a watch. As the book is always better, I will read this.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    celts67 likes this.
  12. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  13. celts67

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    neilly1987 likes this.
  14. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Pet semetary.

15. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    What did you think of The Celtic Revolution? I have a few Peter Berresford Ellis books and liked them but have not read that one yet.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  17. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
  18. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Lost city of Z.

19. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Hope its better than the movie!

neilly1987 likes this.
  20. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

To be honest, I'm reading it so I can watch the movie!
    It's okay, pretty interesting but also a bit dry and boring in parts.