1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NM67

You're saying 'to be' we arent, theres no show of it, no ambition, all limited to being better than them. There is no strategy in place to kill two birds (Aiming for a Europa League which takes cares of winning the League in Scotland) with one stone. Just winning the League, being told we are making record turnovers, record wages with £37m in the bank is nothing short of embarrassing in the sphere of Europe.

2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

The guy I quoted originally.

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It gives us a platform..

They are so irrelevant they don't even come into our strategy. Just like our closest challengers ,Aberdeen..

Sometimes we'll make an impact and sometimes not..

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Yes, obviously :56:

The IRA, Rydo1888*, Zanderama and 8 others like this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The way you worded your post was ambiguous and seemed to imply we should stop winning the League once 10 in a row was won.

I agree with your wider point that we need to have a discussion about how we balance being ran as a PLC while also putting the best team on the park and if they're compatible in the long-term.

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Yeah apologies Marie. Been a while since I've sniffed out a wrong yin, got a bit carried away :71::ireland::52:

Blochairnbhoy and Marie like this.
  7. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    What is been "competitive in Europe" ? I agree we should have done a lot better this season but we have only lost 5 out of 15 in Europe this season.

And obviously we got out of our EL group. Ahead of Leipzig.

8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It can; but we can’t afford the players to do it that way.

9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You seem to be having a conversation by yourself. Literally no one has said any of the phrases you are rhyming off.

It's like you have taken all the words, stuck them in a spin cycle and laid them bare.

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
  11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Hope we win one hundred in a row, just so certain posters can moan some more about it on here.

Hopefully by then Compper will have *ed off for good.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    The IRA and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  12. Wullywanbaw

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Zombie nation
    Clarke wont be at Celtic. Was speaking to his wife and hes wanting back down south for family reasons.

13. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

I know people mention him quite a lot, and no question he's done a cracking job at Killie, but whole different expectation level managing Celtic and all the pressures that go with the job.

The IRA likes this.
  14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The whole story of Brendan = good domestically + bad in Europe s a nice simple story; but reality is not really that simple. Firstly, he's not good domestically, he's absolutely unbelievable; secondly, the story in Europe is more complicated.

I’m as disappointed as anyone that Brendan won’t change his approach against superior opposition in Europe in the short term, gutted actually; however in the long term we won’t reach the standard of Porto or Benfica by any other way than by sticking to a pressing/passing game.

There are two issues here:

The first is that there are certain games we simply can’t win that way. We are just not ever going to outplay Barcelona or PSG, etc and when we try to the results aren’t going to be pretty. We are also not going to go toe to toe with Valencia with Rogic, KT and Benkovic injured, Ajer being dopped as a teaching tool and a winger who, though doing a good job, is playing out of position as our striker.

When everyone is fit, his approach can sometimes pay off against mid-level teams of the sort that have caused us problems in the past. If we want to improve, we SHOULD be sticking to our philosophy against good teams like Salzburg, Leipzig and Valencia. That's the only way to eventually reach the standard of your Salzburgs, Portos and Benficas.

So he does deserve some criticism for his European record; but it's not as simple as saying it's been bad.

The second issue is that, as I mentioned above, his domestic record isn't "good"; it's absolutely phenomenal. I have to laugh when some posters use Brendan's own incredible achievements as a stick to beat him with: he makes it look easy; but what he has done here is far from easy and shouldn't be taken for granted. A few folk saying we should be winning a treble most years are in for a lot of disappointment after he goes.

Sometimes our attitude of entitlement domestically stinks. Even the league is not a gimme. I noticed a few more people sticking the boot in to Ronny as a way to downplay Brendan's achievements, saying something along the lines of even Ronny couldn't lose the leagues. I hate that. Ronnny was a competent manager. He wasn't as good as Lenny and nowhere near Brendan's level, but he was OK. His two years here Aberdeen put in just as much of a challenge as anyone (including the Huns) has been putting in this year. I've been a fan since 92 and I can promise the young people that I have seen managers here who absolutely could have lost the league. John Barnes is the obvious one, but there have been others such as Lou Macari (a good player and a lovely guy but not a manager) and Liam Brady. I think Mowbray would have won it, but less comfortably than Ronny did.

I will continue to moan about Brendan's stubbornness for certain big European games, he shouldn't be immune from criticism there, and at some of his interviews (e.g. after the recent Hun game); but we are so lucky to have him.
    I know guys I respect like PaulM1888 disagree with me about when he will go and who we will replace him with, but I think when he goes, we'll either get Clarke (edit: or someone like him), Lenny or another project manager. Keeping Brendan this summer, if we can do it, would be absolutely massive for this club.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’d be willing to put money on Clarke never being Celtic manager.

16. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Fair enough, mate. But do you think he's the kind of guy we'll be looking at? I mean I think we'll either go for someone like him, who has done reasonably well on a tight budget or a young project manager. Don't you think so?

17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Cracking post RR. This bit especially.
    Nailed it.

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Really difficult to say, as a lot can change in a couple of years.

19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I hope you're right about that couple of years, mate! :56::50:

Callum McGregor likes this.
  20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Thank you, mate. Coming from you, that means a lot.