1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  2. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Hope the big man continues in his rich hunskelping philosphy.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Odsonne Edouard was Celtic’s record signing this summer when the Parkhead side shelled out £9m for his services but Brendan Rodgers believes such is the striker’s quality that the Hoops got him on the cheap.

It remains to be seen whether Edouard starts today’s game at Ibrox or puts in an appearance midway through it, but Rodgers is confident that the French striker will leave his mark all over the fixture against Steven Gerrard’s side.

The 20-year-old forward has been toiling with an abductor injury but his cameo role at Pittodrie turned the game for Celtic on Boxing Day. Edouard stole the show with a goal and a couple of assists when he came off the bench but his movement looked compromised, with Rodgers conceding that with the player unable to make it through the full 90 minutes he has a decision to make.

He’s been questioned since he came here but I’ve always said what a huge talent he is and he’s shown that at training and in the games – for us to get him for the money we did was a snip, really,” said Rodgers.

“The question for us is do we start him knowing he probably can’t finish the game, or do we bring him into the game when space is opening up and there is a bit of natural tiredness which he can exploit.

“That’s the decision. Or do we play with two and get people around him.”

In any case, though, Edouard has shown in his time at the club that he is a player who relishes the big occasion.

The Frenchman announced his arrival at Celtic in the 3-2 win over Rangers last March when he helped the Parkhead side turn the game in their favour.

He’s a fantastic talent and, if he has gone off the boil and not been the player he can be in a couple of games, it’s nothing other than tiredness and the fact he’s also played with an injury, which is a result of us having only the one striker.

“But you can’t deny the boy’s ability.

“I don’t set the price – I don’t get involved in that. I just want to work with good players and, for me, from when we first saw him and then brought him in on loan, you could tell straight away.

“Some of the things he does every day I find myself applauding due to the sheer quality that he possesses, which is incredible. He also has a great footballing brain and technique for such a young player, he’s very strong – although he maybe doesn’t look it – but you can see the number of times he holds opponents off.

“He also gets goals. There have been games when I’ve really wanted to take him out just to give him a breather but we haven’t been able to do that but you cannot deny his talent of his efficiency. I’m delighted to have him.”

While Moussa Dembele had an arrogance about the way he played and held himself, Edouard seems a little more reserved. For Rodgers, though, the player has similar ability alongside a different personality.

“He’s just a humble kid,” said the Celtic boss. “He doesn’t seek attention or affection, he just wants to be the best he can be.

“That’s why he’s here. To develop and help him. He’s not a big, stiff striker who just stands up there because that’s no use to us – we’re about speed and creativity.

He knows he’s a good player, it’s just different characters, different personalities.

“Mouss was great, he had that inherent belief, but he’s a different personality type. He’s not doing some of the other some strikers might do.

“He’s team-orientated and he’s very driven in terms of what he wants to achieve.

“He came here, left Paris with virtually no English and took himself out of his comfort zone. For me, he’s been outstanding is only going to get better.”

4. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    should have started the game, looked more threatening as a team after he was on.

5. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The decision not to start him today is the most baffling to me, amateurish even. He came on and completely changed the game against aberdeen, he's played against the huns before and ran them ragged multiple times, so why do you drop him and play an 18 year old winger at striker? He looked fully fit when he came on and fully fit against aberdeen, and if you're going to throw johnston on you should of gave him 10-20 minutes against aberdeen.

Not going to comment on the boys performance today because he had zero service and everybody around him shat it. What i will say is i hope he has a stormer of a season the next few months, whether that's from st or (hopefully) lw.

Morcombe likes this.
  6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Criminal not starting him today.

If he's fit enough to come on and make the impact he made against Aberdeen, he's fit enough to start today.

Morcombe likes this.
  7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    He's not superman, it was too predictable wheeling him on asking him to change the game or make an impact similar to that against the sheep.

Morcombe likes this.
  8. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    We looked much better with him in there , caused a bit of havoc a few times and nearly created the goal for Ntcham.

Hes a player.

Morcombe likes this.
  9. DonnyCelt

Should've been on sooner. Created our best 2 attacks when he was on the pitch

Rydo1888* and Morcombe like this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Missed out on training today.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  11. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

I’d drink that water after both of them being in there.

0DEAAD05-5C8F-496B-8527-6635D9A433F5.jpeg

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Seosamh Máirtín

I'm buzzing after watching that. Bring back the football!!

Tommy25 likes this.
  14. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I honestly think the only reason he didn't start against them was that he wasn't 100% fit. Rodgers won't have wanted to risk another injury.

Tommy25 likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Back out training today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Tommy25 and bagforlife like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BR: "
    @Oedouard22
    ’s back in now training with the squad which is great news.

18. horseshoe

With Weah and Bayo coming in, assuming they hit the ground running, I'd really like to see him playing as part of a two like we were experimenting with in the summer, he always looks really good when he drops off deep/left and has a little bit of space to move.

19. Keano88

Hopefully get 20 minutes off the bench vs Hamilton.

20. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Eddy, Weah and Bayo..........................throw in some Ntcham, CalMac, Jamsey, Christie and Ollie. :lol: :57:

Tommy25 likes this.