1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Oliver Burke

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jan 5, 2019.

Discuss Oliver Burke in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mayo

Hail Hail

2. Tony.

Fav Celtic Player:
    George Connelly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA.
    Tbh,we aint short of a few bob,im sure a deal could be worked out some way or another.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No chance..

The manager has bombed him right out, yet they still had no loan to buy agreement and just a straight 6 month loan..

If he does well, they'll skyrocket his price and sell him in England..

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Number 25 then

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Good spot.

bagforlife likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

KELVIN Wilson last night compared new Celticloan signing Oliver Burke to Gareth Bale and predicted that Brendan Rodgers can kick-start his career - just like he did with Raheem Sterling at Liverpool

Former Parkhead centre half Wilson was a player at Nottingham Forest when Burke made his first team debut back in 2014 and was immediately impressed by his physical attributes and his blinding pace.

He is surprised the winger, who has moved to RB Leipzig in Germany and West Brom in England for Scottish record transfer fees totalling £28 million in the past two and a half years, has been unable to fulfil his huge early potential.

But the defender feels that Rodgers, who has a proven track record developing youngsters and has taken Burke to the Scottish champions until the end of the season, can get the very best out of him in the next four months.

“In my second spell at Forest he broke into the first team,” said Wilson at a William Hill media event at Hampden. “Twisty quickly became probably one of our most important players. He could change a game with his pace and his feet. He was always destined to go on to good things.

“I can remember seeing him in the changing room once. He had no top on. I thought: ‘* *!’ He was built like an athlete, just ripped. We used to do jump test before training. He would always beat everyone.

“He was just lightning. He is just like Gareth Bale. He is built like him. And what I liked about Twisty was he was willing to learn. You could see he was going to go on to good things.

“He was a great player, a great lad, and I hope he does well up here. It will stand him in good stead for the Scotland squad, playing up here and playing for a great club as well.”

He added: “I have no doubt Twisty will do well at Celtic. I don’t know where Brendan is going to play him because he has great players in his position out on the wings. But I am sure he will find somewhere for him. He has brought him up here so I guess he is going to play him.

I have been very surprised he hasn’t pushed on. When he got his big move to Leipzig I thought they were so keen on him they would play him. Obviously it didn’t work out for him there. When he went to West Brom I thought he would play. But it didn’t happen again for whatever reason.

“Coming up to Scotland will help him and improve his confidence. He is playing for a big club and will have to get that big club mentality. It will be the opposite to West Brom who got relegated. You have to win every game at Celtic. He will have to learn, but that is a good thing.

“Brendan was at Chelsea as a youth team coach so he has got that experience of working with talented young players. The main that he worked with was Raheem Sterling. He made him a better player. Twisty has come to a great club with a great manager to play under.”

Wilson has insisted that Rodgers, who is set to hand Burke his Celtic debut in the William Hill Scottish Cup fourth round match against Airdrieonians at Parkhead this afternoon, can play his old team mate as a striker.

“If you are going to play counter attacking football then play him up top," he said. "But Celtic don’t play that up here. Teams get 11 players behind the ball and they have got to try and break them down.

"I would play him wide right – but Jamesey Forrest plays there. I am sure Brendan has a plan for him. So good luck to him. He has got a great player

He can play striker. But, like I say, I would say he is better suited to a counter attacking team because he is lightning quick. But, again, I haven’t played with him for quite a few years.

"He was young lad when I played with him so he wasn’t mature mentally. I am sure he reads the game a bit more now. He might be able to play up top.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Hopefully he can live up to the praise he’s been receiving.

buchanbhoy likes this.
  10. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I wouldnae bet on that Kelvin mate :56:

Seán Mac D likes this.
  11. themouth1888

To me he's the type who will thrive on an attacking team who enjoy possession which is why he would be lost at the likes of WBA.

Still not a fan of a loan move we can't really afford to make permanent tho.

12. GavCFC1

Think he’ll turn into a great signing which just makes it disappointing that he won’t be here beyond this season.

13. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Hope he can play on the left as Sinclair has needed a kick up the * for 18 months and Morgan is nowhere near ready

buchanbhoy likes this.
  14. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

How do you know Morgan is nowhere near ready? He’s barely been given a fecking chance!

15. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Take your point but from the little i've seen he seems way off the premier league pace. Mikey Johnstone looks better and he's also a long way from the required level.
    More of our youngsters, and British kids in general, should take the plunge like Liam Henderson and Oli Burke and go abroad for a much higher level of football and far better coaching, especially technical wise.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

OLIVER Burke’s debut for Celtic against Airdrie in today’s Scottish Cup fourth round tie will also see him become the 900th player to make a competitive appearance for the club.

The 21-year-old, who joined the Hoops on a six-month loan deal from West Bromwich Albion earlier this month, will start up front as the cup holders begin their defence of the trophy they’ve won for the past two years. And he’ll be hoping it’s just the first of many appearances he’ll make for the team between now and the end of the season.

It is a significant milestone in Celtic’s long and illustrious history, and for every player who has pulled on the jersey, even if only for one game, it has been a privilege, ensuring they have become part of the history.

The 900 players have played a competitive game in the league, Scottish Cup, League Cup or in Europe.

Billy McNeill, of course, leads the way with an incredible 790 appearances, which also includes three games in the Intercontinental Cup against Racing Club of Argentina back in 1967.

Incredibly, none of those 790 appearances were as a substitute. In 18 years with the club, he won nine league titles, seven Scottish Cups, six League Cups and, of course, the European Cup.

Paul McStay is next in the appearance table, with 677, while Roy Aitken has 672. And Pat Bonner, with 641 appearances, has played more times for Celtic than any other goalkeeper in the club’s history.

Of the current squad, captain Scott Brown will today make his 503rd appearance for the club, drawing him level with Tommy Burns, while James Forrest is in line to make his 328th appearance.

But whether it is Celtic’s legendary Lisbon Lion captain at the top of the tree, or players such as Jackson Irvine, Jamie McCart or Steve Hancock who only made one substitute appearance, all of them have achieved an ambition and are able to say that they played for Celtic.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  17. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Get your career back on track son and bang in a hat trick tonight .

StPauli1916 likes this.
  18. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He’s awful.

19. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    At least wait until he's given a chance in his true position. He's a winger not a striker. I hope BR isn't gonna do with him what he's done with Hayes and Morgan IE bring them here and never play them in their best position(LM/LW in their case).

Artorias likes this.
  20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’ve seen him play loads of times over the years.

He’s a haddy.