1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen McManus

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by GMS, Aug 14, 2017.

Discuss Stephen McManus in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Pacific Ocean Blue

I didn't like him or hate him, he did the job with no nonsense which was fine. Comes across as a good guy and a hard working guy in that first part with Si

2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Swinecastle away.

Forever in our hearts.

3. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    new year game if i remember ?

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye it was.

5. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yep, inch or two of snow in the garden that day.

I * lost the plot when the second went in, ran outside jumping about in it like a madman.

Back in sitting watching the post-match, something was a bit whiffy, turns out I’d rolled about in my dug’s *! All over my jeans! Beautiful.

:party22:

6. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Enjoyed that interview with 'Si' always nice to hear the reminiscenses of guys like McManus.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Loved his commitment. No nonsense..

A proper Celtic player and captain..

8. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    When McManus was captain we got to the last 16 twice, big man was 100% leader
    No one would consider naylor telfer big Mik n Caldwell as their favourite defender s but they were a right good back line who didn’t concede a lot especially in Europe

McChiellini.. likes this.
  9. Seosamh Máirtín

I remember being a bit confused by his departure at the time. He wasn't exactly the type of player you expected to set the world on fire or stroll it like VVD, but I thought we depended on him. I wonder how his career would've went with us if he'd dug in his heels.

Good luck to him, anyway, hopefully keep him around the club in some capacity.

10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Remember Jim Duffy saying he was at Dundee and O’Neill said he had a guy who wasn’t going to make it at Celtic, yup it was Big Mick.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  11. BroxBhoy94

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ONE NEIL LENNON
    Will always go down as the captain who led us to Tannadice Thursday.

That and scoring the first goal against AC Milan before Skippy scored the winner :smoke:

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC could offer former captain Stephen McManus an academy role.

SunSport understands the Motherwell youth coach is being placed under consideration for a Hoops post.

Big Mick has been mentoring Well youngsters since hanging up his boots in August 2017.

The former Scotland defender came through the ranks at Celtic and skippered the club into the last 16 of the Champions League.

He won seven trophies at Parkhead before hooking up with Gordon Strachan at Middlesbrough.

McManus spent three years at the Riverside and also had two spells on loan at Bristol City before returning north with Motherwell.

shaunm likes this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

This could do with a move to Celtic chat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Great to see him back at the club,

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

STEPHEN McManus is delighted to have returned to his football home, taking up a new role as Celtic’s Under-18s' coach. It’s another step on his ongoing football journey that began at the club’s Youth Academy and saw him go on to make 203 appearances for the team he’s always supported, become club captain and win three league titles, two Scottish Cups and two League Cups.

Even while he was in the middle of his own playing career, he’d already set the wheels in motion for what would happen once that drew to an end, beginning his coaching badges in his mid-20s.

And for the past four years, he’s been involved in the coaching set-up at Motherwell, being in charge of the U18s as well as being part of Steve Robinson’s backroom staff.

Those experiences have led to his return to Paradise and while naturally delighted to be back at Celtic, the 36-year-old is also focused on the job in hand – to help produce more first-team players for Celtic.

Speaking to Celtic TV, Stephen McManus said: “I’m glad to get started and give something back to the club that has given me so much in my career.

“Even being back at Barrowfield for training this morning was great, and I’ve got so many happy memories of being here.

“I grew up supporting the club, so to get the opportunity to come back in a coaching capacity was always going to be the way forward for me. I’m really happy to get it over the line and really thankful to everyone at the club. Obviously Brendan played a big part in it, along with Chris McCart, so I’m delighted to be back.”

McManus’ own successful playing career, which also saw him score in a UEFA Champions League group-stage victory over AC Milan, will provide a good example to the young players coming through the Academy of what can be achieved through talent, hard work and dedication.

And the new Under-18s' coach also cited the likes of James Forrest, Callum McGregor and Kieran Tierney as great role models for the young Celts.

“It’s difficult for any young player trying to make a very good living in the game,” he said, “but the grounding I had here was the reason I ended up having a successful playing career, so I’m thankful for everybody who was part of that journey and I’m now trying to give that back to young players today.

“They can relate to you because you’ve not long finished playing, but also they can see what you’ve achieved, and there’s no reason why some of the young talented individuals we’ve got at the club just now can’t make that same journey.

“They just have to look at the first-team players such as Callum McGregor, James Forrest and Kieran Tierney who have come through the Academy and are now top players who could grace any football pitch in Europe.

“My remit will be to try and help the club generate as many top young players as we possibly can. I’m one of the lucky ones who’s been associated with the club that I grew up supporting.

“I was lucky to play here for a minute, never mind over 200 games. I was lucky enough to captain the club, I was lucky enough to work with some really proper people and I was brought up with that mentality and that’s the reason that I had the career I did. So I’m just looking to give something back.”

Rydo1888* likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Mr. Slippyfist

Most certainly so!

Absolutely loved Big Mick when he was here (apart from the end up when he and Heid got pulverized aff Cousin), but no one can take away he put his heart and soul, blood sweat and tears in for the badge.

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FOUR years is a long time in football. For Hoops star Stephen McManus, it was the difference between making his Celtic debut and lifting the league title as captain.

A product of the club’s Youth Academy, the 6’2” centre-half from Lanark was signed on a professional deal in the summer of 2003, and would make his first appearance in the senior side, 16 years ago today, at the tail end of the 2003/04 trail.

In a 4-0 win over Hibs at Easter Road on March 21, 2004, McManus not only played for a full 90 minutes (alongside fellow Academy graduate John Kennedy), he also assisted Didier Agathe for the opening goal. Henrik Larsson hit a double thereafter – goals which saw him become Celtic’s third-top scorer of all time – before Agathe also secured a brace.

Interestingly, future Celts Gary Caldwell, Derek Riordan and Scott Brown all featured for the home side that afternoon, which saw the latter lock horns with Hoops boss Neil Lennon in the centre of midfield.

From there, McManus’ career went from strength to strength as he matured into a formidable Celtic centre-half. When Neil Lennon left Paradise as a player in the summer of 2007, 'Big Mick', as he was affectionately known, was handed the captain’s armband.

Historic wins in the UEFA Champions League followed – not least a 2-1 win over AC Milan at Celtic Park, within which the defender scored the opening goal – as did a league title triumph at Tannadice on the final day of the 2007/08 campaign.

“It goes without saying that it was an awesome feeling to lift my first trophy as captain,” McManus told the Celtic View after the 1-0 win over Dundee United on May 22, 2008. “Words can't explain the emotions running through my mind as I stepped up to lift the championship trophy - it was a special moment.

“I've enjoyed so many fantastic occasions since breaking into the Celtic first-team but, without doubt, that was a major highlight. To captain your boyhood heroes to the title on the final day of the season is the stuff dreams are made of.

“You know when you are appointed captain of Celtic that with it comes a massive responsibility. But perhaps the biggest responsibility is to be a winning captain and lift trophies. I've thoroughly enjoyed the captaincy. I wouldn't have changed it for the world. *, I'm one of a chosen few who have been lucky enough to captain this great club.”

McManus left the club for Middlesbrough in the summer of 2010, before spending four years at Motherwell from 2013 to 2017. Last year, the ex-defender returned to Paradise to assume control of Celtic’s Under-18s squad. He now works alongside Tommy McIntyre with the reserves squad

20. Momo Sylla

Big man was criminally treated by Mowbray. Deserved a better end to his career than being punted mid season.