1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Mirror

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by TAB, Dec 27, 2011.

Discuss Black Mirror in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It might now that Netflix know their system works!

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That Bandersnatch was * awful.

Slaw and trip2themoon like this.
  3. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade

So was Striking Vipers.

Second episode of series 5 was alright. Haven't watched episode 3 yet. The fact Miley Cyrus is in it puts me right off.

4. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Vipers absolute pish. Failed male san junipero.

Smithereens is a good addition. Some great acting from Andrew Scott and the intern. Although its easily the most mainstream episode of Black mirror. Has the technological themes but it didnt really like a black mirror episode. More a normal crime show.

The Miley ones good if you don't take it too seriously and appreciate whats it going for.

5. Seosamh Máirtín

Striking Vipers was shockingly bad. The Facebook name drop totally took me back, as well. I think that is the first time something like that has happened?

6. Smithy

How does 3 episodes constitute a season!? Still enjoyed it although it's not as good as the previous seasons.

7. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Season 5 was much weaker than previous seasons. Hoping for more next season. Great show generally speaking!

8. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think they've ran out of ideas and things to say. Smithereens message was similar to nosedive's.

9. The67Sound

I thought striking vipers was good. Haven't seen the Miley Cyrus one yet though

10. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

Thoroughly enjoyed Bandersnatch and toying with the philosophical idea of determinism.

Also enjoyed Striking Vipers. Agree with the diluted San Junipero connections, but with the advent & mass production of VR media becoming ever more mainstream, seems like a situation that wouldn't be completely abnormal from an individuals thought process.

What I enjoy about Black Mirror is its sinister hypothetical unfolding of contemporary technology. Much of the sci-fi is not so much fiction and is really just on the cusp of where we are tech-wise at the minute, so it's good to see the situations that arise when we lose our sense of humanity. Nosedive, the episode where social status is determined on number of likes (similar to Facebook/Instagram) was great, and perfectly illustrates an issue that is rife in society at the minute - it was a profound moment watching with my social media addicted girlfriend.

I do feel the overall quality has dipped slightly since it was taken over by American producers (season 3 perhaps?) and has lost the sort of gritty / indy theme that made it attractive.

PorchBhoy67 likes this.
  11. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think Charlie Brooker needs to let other people write episodes that he can review before being filmed. The last season wasn’t that great