1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. DaveKing'seye

Big winter break for Broony. If he can regain the fitness of the previous 2 seasons then I would be happy to give him the extension he is looking for.

Experience is invaluable for us in Europe. Granted I wouldn't play him in games where teams camp in aginst us eg every domestic home game. A very handy player to have for away to the huns (aware he was pish on sat), the sheep and killie. And to bring on when we need to see a game out.

2. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Very few people want to throw him out with the bathwater and if they do they're not worth taking seriously.

What most want is for him to fall back into a reduced role and let McGregor play in the position best suited for himself and our squad. Brown is done as a starting midfielder but could still influence the game from the bench. That's not being unfair. That's the harsh reality of playing competitive football at his age. It doesn't detract from his previous achievements.

3. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    I don't think anyone is disrespecting his achievements. But NO player is bigger than the club and deserve to be kept on past their sell by date. Every player has a time when if a better replacement becomes available, then its criminal of the club not to investigate that opportunity. Cal Mc has taken that opportunity by the short and curlies, and without doubt in my mind is first choice on merit at the moment. Not something that a few months ago most of us for saw. Same with Ryan Christie. There is absolutely no denying the influence Broony has round the team. But to me that's not translated into on pitch performances. Ive had many occasions in personal life where big characters have been around. I have also found that when that individuals have gone, the void is always filled by someone else. That will also happen here. We can all think of big personalities round the team. Broony wasn't the first, and he certainly wont be the last. But lets not forget what he has achieved for us in the past.

4. Maestro 08

Exactly. Go back about 40 pages in here, about 4 months and everyone is raving about him, including a good few that are sticking the knife in right now. But in under 4 months his legs have suddenly gone!! Aye right.

I'm hoping a lot of the nonsense flying about in the thread is just knee *. If Brown is hounded out here it will be unforgivable.

5. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Just look at the stats with and without him people. I know ye love him but its clear as day we are better without him. Its not even a case of hoping he can get back fit. Our best run of performances since the invincibles was without him.

Brendan had him in a good role there when he came back coming on and seeing out games. I don't think its unfair to say that him coming on at 60 mins gives him a level playing of fitness with people that started the game. From that he can compete and play his game. He was excellent doing so in trondheim and the league cup final. But in the majority of games we wont need that role. It would be a bit part role at best.

Its sentimentality at this point and i don't know how many more games like easter road, pittodrie and ibrox its going to take for all to see it.

6. Maestro 08

That doesnt translate in to him leaving the club though. You don't have to automatically be shown the door because a player emerges that means you arent utilised as much. His value to us goes beyond what he offers on the pitch anyway and even then he's still an excellent player. I would much rather have someone of Brown's quality coming in when players need a rest or when there's a big game & we need a big impact than say Kouassi or Mulumbu or some of the other backups we currently have. Get rid of them first.

Spring Time likes this.
  7. Maestro 08

Of course we will. The problem we have is that the quality of the back ups isnt good enough that's why we have struggled when we make changes when we rest players etc. Brown is exactly the type you want to come in. Even as a back up he will still start a load of games and be brought on in others. Turning to the bench I'd much rather see Brown sitting there than most of the other options.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It won't be the fan's that hound him out of here..

9. Mr. Slippyfist

He'll still be the 2nd most decorated captain in our history until someone betters his achievement (which I reckon will take a long long time if it even IS bettered), but let's be honest he's 33 now and will be 34 at the end of the season - he's always had problems with his ankles and whatnot so it's bound to take their toll.

I'd rather he stayed here and be a dressing room influence, but for me the midfielder now needs to be built around Callum McGregor, and we've looked at our best this season when Brown hasn't started. Saturday he was just abysmal - brought in for his experience and steel yet neither of those qualities where anywhere to be seen - shat it from Scott Arfield ffs, and was well off the pace on more than one occasion.

Been happening to great players since the day fitba started - some of the greatest captains at clubs declined and left (see Keane at Man U, and even * Slippy the * at Anfield).

10. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

A think he will go to Australia.

Give his kids a great lifestyle and he will be able to walk down the street without getting abuse and bile shouted at him from scum.

A wouldn't blame the guy Tbh. He's took a lot of weight on his shoulders for year and he deserves the break.

He's a celtic legend and always will be!

11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    He has earned his time in the sun, it’s looking more like he is off tbh.

Pablo87 and McChiellini.. like this.
  12. MartinoBianco

A club legend and I will never say a bad word against him.

Hope he enjoys the sun in Australia and watches us win 10IAR from his deck chair

Replace him with Callum McG, and look to sign the new Scott Brown in either this or next transfer window.
    How we * up that McGinn bid I will never understand man.... literally a ready made replacement. :31:

13. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Yep, he’s earned it alright ! Only thing is, they manky Hun * will be thinking Arfield is the dug’s baws after that. Would love Broony to destroy them one last time, and celebrate right in that *’s face .... then go in the sun.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  14. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    yes he had a quiet subdued game but a refreshed rejuvenated Broonie will be needed for battles later this season , * knows there doesn't look like any other that would drag players along with him like he has done on many an occasion .
    He gets us to 8 and im sure he knows starts will be limited but like everybody else he wants a triple treble and to be here in some capacity in the 10 !! .

After the break we have 8 out of 13 games at home with most of the teams around us in that 8 so if we want to get abit of daylight before the split id suggest we fekkin need him playing and winning battles that only he wins .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I think Saturday only further enhanced that..

No way he just stays to get bullied and mocked by diddies taking turns to get a scalp off him..

I don't want him to go out like that either..

Year's and year's and I don't think I've ever slated him once. I never will..

He'll do the right thing..

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  16. green-yin

Apparently was seen on a flight to australia last night, was on a celtic group on facebook. Defo think hes off at end of the season.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'm no expert in time travel, or even taking a flight more than 2houra east of the UK, but I dare say it's near impossible that he could have made it out there and back again and still have been playing football and training with us. Would be extremely dumb idea, more so when there is the next 3 weeks off.
    And again so with the fact, aren't we travelling half way there as a club anyway?

Although would make some sense to his performance at the weekend. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

18. green-yin

The facebook post says it was last night mate. Not 100% sure but i think the players have got this week off before we head out to dubai next week. As i says its facebook so could be a lot of *. Just passing on what i seen.

19. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

It might be time to build round mcgregor, that’s not the thing I’m arguing against , even though I still don’t think he’s finished for us yet
    & it’s probably more to do with the tactics / available players. Probably to do with him & ntchan not being suited to playing together.

Granted, He didn’t produce his usual domineering game on Saturday possibly through lack of match fitness, i’m not sure, but it was evident no * else stepped up to the plate in his absence, so imho he’s still that man.

I also think we need to replace his qualities before we let him step back from the front line
    because as he’s proven many many times, we sometimes need a true warrior out there for certain games where the battle has to be won before the match is.
    I for one hope he stays & puts that * Arfield back in his hole come March & beyond.

20. Devlin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Age it catches us all...possibly natures cruellest joke, like a switch being flicked one day we all wake up young in the head as we have always been. Only to look in the mirror and an old man is looking back at you.