1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Today was baffling.

There was an air or nonchalance during and after the game - like it was acceptable and inevitable to face defeat. Nobody looked bothered.

I don't blame Rogers for making mistakes with the lineup, but you have to blame him for not proactively changing the shape and personnel during the game and most of all for not putting his hand up and taking blame afterwards.

The saddest part in this (which is evident from the league table) is that we've regressed and effectively defeated ourselves today rather than any marked improvement from rangers.

2. Hail_hail6767

I think 11 of us we’d have fking better

3. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Just a wee note of how bad the past two transfer windows have been. Seven new players were brought to the club in 2018 and only one of them (loan signing Filip Benkovic) started today. Another - Scott Bain - was on the bench. The rest - Musonda, Compper, Mulumbu, Izaguirre and Hendry - have either left the club or couldn't even make the bench despite the team's injuries and poor form by individuals.

big window indeed .

Jack Torrance, Maestro 08 and The IRA like this.
  4. Mevin Gold Member Gold Member

I think he made some wrong choices however... our players couldn’t even * pass the ball to each other today without it going out the park

5. JohnyBhoy91

No plan B today was disappointing, last year in the corresponding fixture we were forced into a change when Jozo was sent off and it changed the game, today we had no alternative.

There is a clear strategy to employ versus us, we've seen it numerous times away from home and in Europe, press us very high, congest midfield and we will inevitably give it back to Gordon for him to lose it or give to someone under pressure.

I'd like to see us go 2 up top again at some point, Moussa and Eddy looked lethal in preseason in this formation, heres hoping we can strengthen in January and give Brendan more options.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers refused to hide behind excuses after suffering his first Old Firm defeat in his third season as Celtic manager.

Rodgers held his hands up and admitted that Rangers were worthy winners as they ended a run of 12 Old Firm games without a victory.

He said: 'Rangers deserved to win. We didn't play well and made too many unforced mistakes.

We had to make a couple of changes early on and when you lose two defenders, it limits what you can do later on.

'There was a period when we felt we could get Kieran (Tierney) into the game when we needed to change, but when you are forced to make the subs that takes away that possibility.

'We always wanted to get Odsonne (Edouard) into the game as the only striker we have but he's got no more than half-an-hour in him with his injury.

'But that's sometimes the way it goes. I've sat here, winning and playing really well. Today, I sit having lost, so you just accept that.

'I've no real excuses. We had players missing but, on the day, Rangers were better than us and it's 13th time unlucky, unfortunately.

'We just didn't have a good game. You've got to be humble when you win but also honest when you lose and the honest answer is they were better than us..' Celtic remain in top spot in the Premiership, by dint of a superior goal difference, with the added advantage of a match in hand over Rangers.

But Rodgers insisted: 'Nothing really has changed. I said before that we'd either be in a good position or a very good position and we're still top with a game in hand.

'The league has shown in the first six months it has been competitive, with Rangers, Hibs, Kilmarnock, Hearts and Aberdeen, and that's great.

'But it doesn't change anything we didn't already know before the game.

'Hopefully, we can get one or two reinforcements in that the squad needs and go away and refresh, press the reset button.

'Of course today hurts. It always does. Some of the players haven't experienced that at all, so they will be better for it.' Celtic thought they had snatched an equaliser when Callum McGregor had the ball in the net in the second half

But the strike was disallowed for offside, with Rodgers claiming the stand-in left-back was very unfortunate. He also lavished praise on McGregor for his performance in an unfamiliar role.

'Callum was brilliant for us today, having to fill in that position, and was arguably our best attacking player in how he served the ball going forward and was very unlucky to just be offside,' said Rodgers.

'I think he was still our most productive player where he was playing. Brownie (Scott Brown) was going to play in there as the controller. You then look, with Tom (Rogic) away, at trying to get the balance right.

'Wherever Callum plays, he is outstanding. We need him to play in there because Kieran hasn't been fit. That is sometimes forced upon you and you have to make do with it.' While stressing a desire to bring in fresh faces in next month's transfer window, Rodgers was also at pains to stress that he will not make signings just for the sake of it.

'The squad needs reinforcements, so we hope we can do that,' he said. 'We have always had a feeling of what we need, not just adding to the squad but improving it.' Meanwhile, Rodgers dismissed the notion that with Celtic restricted to just 700 fans, the atmosphere had lacked the passion of a normal Old Firm occasion.

He added: 'I think it was a great atmosphere. Of course if you have 750 or 7,000, it does make a difference.

'I have experienced the two games and the matches are better when there is a higher proportion of away supporters there but that doesn't make you pass the ball better on the pitch... under no pressure.

'We were grateful to the ones who were here but I think it is better, home and away, when there is a greater percentage of away fans. But it was a really good atmosphere. The games are great and intense.'

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Nonsense interview by Rodgers.

clonbhoy likes this.
  8. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He will be announcing new signings on January 1st or 2nd as fans will not be happy if we wait until last day of transfer window before doing so.
    We need a couple of GOOD big money buys along with couple of decent players especially defenders.

9. Maestro 08

Correct me if I'm wrong but under Rodgers we have brought in:

DeVries
    Toure
    Sinclair
    Gamboa
    Kouassi
    Hayes
    Benyu
    Ntcham
    Edouard
    Commper
    Morgan
    Musonda
    Mulumbu
    Hendry
    Bain
    Izzy
    Arzani
    Benkovic
    Okoflex

(PR7 & Dembele already here).

That reads like a crime sheet ffs, some amount of dross and/or guys that have barely kicked a ball for us. Those that have played regular such as Ntcham & Sinclair have been two of our worst performers for a long time. Would be interested to know the combined number of starts for that lot minus Ntcham, Sinclair & Edouard.

Big transfer window indeed. He as much as the board need to get it right this window.

10. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Dembele wasn't here. Rodgers signed him.

11. Maestro 08

I'm sure we had already been tracking him for a while & the ball was rolling pre Rodgers, granted he gave it the thumbs up. Could be wrong.

Edit: Interview by Delia recently

"We also knew that we could get Moussa Dembélé. We knew about his situation at Fulham, that his contract there was ending, and John Collins and I went down to England to watch him. "This wasn't about me, it was a part of the process we had at Celtic. We wanted to get Dembélé in."

Definitely the ball was rolling on that one. Think he would have been here regardless of Rodgers joining.

12. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

We may have been looking at him for a while but still a Rodgers signing.

13. Maestro 08

Edited my last post. Think he would have been here regardless of Rodgers. Anyway by the by, point is recruitment in the main has been poor under his tenure and we've got a big window coming up.

14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I agrew its a pretty damning list regardless. But his work with the players we already had makes up for a lot

Maestro 08 likes this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The players in bold have been a complete waste of money, thus far. Sort of early days for Mulumbu and Morgan but they've barely kicked a ball this season.

Of the ones not in bold - Bain and Izzy are back ups, Toure was useful for about 3 months, Arzani is a young player on loan and Okoflex is 16.

Edouard, Sinclair, Ntcham and Benkovic are the only real successes - and even then, Ntcham is probably our 4th/5th choice midfielder on recent form, and Sinclair has largely been pish for a year.

It's * ridiculous how bad that list is.

16. Seosamh Máirtín

Dembele was 100% already lined up before BR came in, this has been confirmed.

We need a DoF or overhaul our whole scouting network. We sign 1 good player in 10 it seems.

17. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Massive window required. Personally I dont believe he can deliver even if fully backed by the board.

18. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Who confirmed this? This is what I thought but I heard a recent interview where Rodgers actually took credit for bringing him in.

19. Seosamh Máirtín

littlekennie and Captain Brown like this.
  20. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson