1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I know what you mean with the nail biting this is a typical sign of obsessive compulsive, which is a form of anxiety, since I was a kid also I bit my nails I managed to stop when I graduated, I used a weird way to do, gave myself permission for one nail to bite the rest were off limits after a few weeks stopped completely, sometimes you catch yourself about to do it again,the habit never goes away you just learn to deal with it.

2. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    This statement really hits home for me, and shows what a great person the players and manager are, in 2016 we were working on a massive project and one of my colleagues who is a close friend we have been working out here in Singapore for years was stressed about it, at first we thought was just normal work stress we all get, but as the week went on he started becoming more animated and erratic, he could not stop talking about how this project will fail and be a disaster, I tried to explain we have just started there is a 1000 permutations before we reach your disaster scenario and we deal with that if and when it happens. But he could not snap out of that train of thought and it reached a climax later that week when he said something to me along the lines of "I just want to disappear", I immediately called my manager who also was a friend and we were all on the same project, went to his house right away and spoke to him, suicide note was written and all, took him straight to the hospital and thankfully he pulled through, he had underlying anxiety issues and never knew how to cope with it, and instead fed the anxiety by entertaining disaster trains of thought.

It was one of the most stressful times in my life also, seeing it happens to someone so near to you.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Leigh will get the help he needs.

He can bounce back from this.

Marie likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Removed by staff

Doubt it.

Having spent time with Leigh He’s a great guy.

People should respect his privacy now.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2018
    packybhoy, Marie, StPauli1916 and 2 others like this.
  5. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Get well soon Leigh.

6. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Not really a true speculation more making a point we don't know what the catalyst is, everyone saying gambling but that seems unlikely to me unless it was so extreme, whatever it is, he has opened up about it now which is the first and most important step to recovery.

Caller on SSB made a really good point about the abuse, some people like Brown thrive of that and it doesn't affect them, Griffiths gets it a lot but he also gives it right back, but if you are vulnerable mentally then for sure it must have some effect, especially some of the vile filth spouted towards him which goes beyond typical pantomime banter.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Liam Scales likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Former Celtic striker John Hartson has told Leigh Griffiths that his door will always be open should the 28-year-old wish his advice and support.

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers revealed yesterday afternoon that Griffiths has been granted leave of all football responsibilities as he looks for professional help to cope with a series of personal problems.

Social media rumours of a gambling addiction have been a perennial issue around Griffiths and Hartson believes that he is in a position to offer the striker advice to support him as he deals with what has been suggested are multi-faceted psychological issues.

The former Welsh internationalist has been open with his own addiction problems, revealing in 2011 that he checked into rehab as he feared the collapse of his marriage without the intervention of Gamblers Anonymous.

“Leigh knows where I am,” he said. “I have had conversations with Leigh in the past and he knows I would help him any time. He knows how to get a hold of me. He has my number and like many footballers that I have helped in the last three or four years I would be not only glad to help, I would love to do so.

“I think so highly of him. He is a top guy – he is funny, he is bubbly, he’s a real character and I know more than anyone what he’ll be going through to get to this stage now. I have been there. I hit rock bottom in 2011.”

And Hartson has insisted that Griffiths is capable of coming out of the other end of his current struggle and into a better place.

“Of course he can come back from this,” he said. “I’m seven years clean and I’m in the best place of my life, financially and medically. My story has been well told so no-one needs to hear what I done and what I went through.

The important thing for Leigh just now is that he is around people that know him well and know what he needs. He needs support and he needs to be allowed the space and privacy to focus on whatever difficult issues that have brought him to this point.

“I’d love to help in any way I can. I am here, I am on the end of a phone. I understand how tough it will be for him right now. He will be nervous, he will be anxious about the next few months that lie ahead and he will probably feel a little bit worried about what comes next.

“But the big thing for me is that Leigh has recognised that he needs help in a professional context and that is the first big step.”

Liam Scales and Marie like this.
  8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    If what the times have printed is true I think it could be worse than gambling problems... Saying team mates intervened and concerned when they couldn't get a hold of him after a visit to children's hospital

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

9. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    It looks like gambling might have been a vice that has in turn caused other issues depression, anxiety etc, but again not confirmed only what has been mentioned before, I have seen it happens to people first hand as mentioned above and it is not pretty, accumulation of things over a period of time and keeping them bottled up till it reaches a climax can end in disaster, thankfully this time it looks like his mates seen something was really off and intervened.

10. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    THREAD WARNING !
    Continue posting rumours or speculation and you will receive an instant ban.

Thread will re-open once staff decide who is getting their baws booted.

11. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Thread reopened, a lot of posts have been deleted to purge out rumours.

Please note that anyone who posts up rumours will be dealt with by staff.

This thread is here to offer good wishes and support for Leigh....he will have enough * directed his way without our own fans fanning the flames of the rumour mills.

It's none of our business what Leigh's demons are, our only concern should be his well being.

If there is any negative posts, rumours etc, please do not quote the posts, just report them.

Thanking everyone in advance for their support with this.

Hail! Hail!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  12. pHatRon67

13. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    You're in my thoughts and prayers Leigh

StPauli1916 and Marie like this.
  14. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
  15. strike twice

I hope Leigh takes his time to confront the problems , gets things sorted out and gets back to full health . Your health is more important than anything , and sometimes we can forget that until we suffer from ill health ourselves .

Marie likes this.
  16. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Wow what?

Marty McFly likes this.
  17. Mr. Slippyfist

Wow Wee...

bagforlife and KRS-1888 like this.
  18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Mental health hits close to home for me. The main thing is he’s getting help, that’s the first step and the hardest.

Already buzzing for his comeback game.

19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Can’t get much stronger than what you’re doing now Leigh.

20. apevrak

I've dealt with severe depression myself and it crippled me for months, * up a relationship and my economy for years. It's something I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy.

Super Leigh will hopefully come out of this stronger than ever. If he come back as a footballer is not important, he just needs to find peace in his mind.

All the best LG9