1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Connor Roberts

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by donnegal celt, Nov 17, 2018.

Discuss Connor Roberts in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic warrior

They've had a history of signing decent level Brazilians, something we can not do. Also, they look into the African nations a lot more than we do. Pretty sure it's easier for them to get work permits for players from Nations we otherwise wouldn't/couldn't recruit from.

Jordann likes this.
  2. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think you've missed the point tbh. It was cheap options that worked well, therefore I mentioned rogic, wanyama, dembele and lustig. We've signed plenty of freebies who have been * too.

Moravcik and Larsson would not have been millions if we took it to now in the same position. At the time there was no way of knowing they'd be as incredible as they were however, Moravcik was older and no one really took a chance, Larsson had a clause and was desperate to leave, so the point they'd be worth millions in today's market is bullshit. You wouldn't have known that before we signed them.

Also talking about value, dembele had been bid for around 6/7 million by pl clubs but we could get him nearly free because the contract rules between different countries. A player who was worth milion but we got for nearly nothing.

We need to compare ourselves to other clubs, who can we compare with in the spfl? No one really. It's how we know how well we are doing. Salzburg are probably one of the club's that is a fair comparison to make, clearly the best in their league and got more money than the rest as well. Financially they have not spent more than us on players and if they have it isn't by much. I don't know about wages but I don't imagine them blowing us out of the water either, we have a decent size wage bill.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    We don't know how much Salzburg really spent. Often with frees you pay the players an upfront fee to get them signed. If they chucked 2m plus at each of the free transfers then they would have out spent us just the transfer fees shows as smaller. We also don't know what their annual salary is. I expect it to be high otherwise players would just head to Germany

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It’s not bullshit saying Larsson and Moravcik would be more expensive in today’s market. It’s fact. That’s how inflation works. Inflation in the football market is even more ridiculous. You’ve also just proven my point more, we got Larsson and Moravcik for cheaper than we should have got them even back then. Dembele as you said we got for a lot cheaper than we should have. You’re making points that help me. A right back from Swansea on a free isn’t comparable to any of the players you’ve mentioned. None of them.

Lustig was a known quantity, Rogic and Wanyama were very young, Dembele was a known talent.

5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don’t know why people always bring up work permits on in Scotland as an excuse.

Scotland’s one of the easiest places to get a work permit for.