1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Football Manager 2019

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by RabS, Oct 7, 2018.

Discuss Football Manager 2019 in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    We've just endured a properly rubbish week. Had a stellar CL group phase winning 6 from 6, and ended up getting Manchester United for the first knockout round. Should have done a lot better against them, especially as they were missing De Gea to injury. Mourinho has turned Harry Kane into a bona fide CM these days, whilst Icardi leads the line. Lost 2-1 away in the first leg.

Had to rotate ahead of the second leg as we were in with a chance at overturning the result. This rotation tripped us up away at Leganes, we lost to a single goal which put an end to our run of 10 straight league wins. Unfortunately we were unable to unlock an ultra defensive United in the second leg, drawing 0-0 and bowing out of the comp.

As disappointed as I am about being knocked out, a round earlier than last season, it will probably help us to put together a proper tilt at the league title. Valencia currently lead the way and are a serious prospect, having also been knocked out of the CL so only having the league to play for.

[​IMG]

Title race is shaping up as a three way battle between ourselves, Valencia and Conte's resurgent Real.

We've managed to finally reach the Copa del Rey final after several close runs over the past few seasons. Beat Real in the semis, will face Barca in the final at the new Mestalla.

[​IMG]

Remaining schedule is quite evenly balanced. The fact that we have Real and Valencia at home should prove advantageous. Basque derby on the final day of the season, going to be feisty if we're still mathematically in the hunt for the title.

[​IMG]

Starting to see really good representation across the various Spain levels. First time I've had six called up to the senior team.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    LM67 likes this.
  2. LM67

Foreign home grown players are still classed as foreign unless they have been in the country for 5 years and have a UK passport. So Ajer won’t be ‘foreign’ after season 3. Rogic isn’t ‘foreign’ either as he gets a UK passport in either season 1 or 2

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    SeanyBhooy likes this.
  3. LM67

Player values were sky high are the CL win

DC76B10F-DB94-46AE-931E-699BCA7FE242.png

So are the finances - don’t think I’ve ever had a bigger balance with Celtic

E44C0B15-F1A2-4544-8CEF-8A5346AB17CB.png

What a start we’ve made to season 3. The goals are flying in

D3F9417B-F177-4B48-A1C0-67B9036906F9.png

SeanyBhooy likes this.
  4. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

5. SeanyBhooy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Cool cheers! Have signed Paddy on a free & just need to pick up one more player and I'm sorted.

6. LM67

Pretty sure home grown players under 23 dont need to be registered which helps

SeanyBhooy likes this.
  7. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Mikey Johnston is class

8. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    We won the league!

[​IMG]

Well, okay, we won the second division. But still. The last time the B-team were up in the second division, back in my second season, they ended up getting relegated. So safe to say that this is a marked improvement on that effort. Just a shame about those pesky regulations preventing them from taking their rightful place in La Liga, imagine the fun and shenanigans that could be had with two sides tag-teaming their way through a season.

As for the actual league, that didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped.

[​IMG]

On the plus side at least it's not Real winning it. Though I did harbour notions about us being the club to break the Barca-Real duopoly, only to have that distinction snatched away by Valencia. The sods.

Our league challenge essentially ended on a nightmarish trip to the Ceramica. We came into it in a fine mood, having just beaten Real in a thrilling match where the climax involved Susaeta winning and scoring a pen in the 97th minute on the occasion of his 425th (and ultimately final) league appearance for Athletic. He was starting in place of Williams, who was out injured. The sheer scenes of it when he essentially blasted it straight down the middle and into Courtois, who failed to stop it from glancing off his body and trickling into the goalmouth.

Villarreal away was a shambles, we lost 3-1 and lost both Muniain and Williams to injuries that would rule both out for the remainder of the campaign. In desperation I resorted to calling up a 16-year-old regen lad we'd signed in Jan, the only pacey RW other than Williams at the club. Gave him the shirt number 84 in an effort to evoke the good vibes of the club's last title-winning campaign.

We righted the ship somewhat by beating Valencia, but this only served to drag us to within a point of them. We'd need a few favours to get us over the line, and they weren't forthcoming. We drew away to Eibar, iirc, and Valencia beat Atleti. The gap was out to three points. We needed them to lose on the final day of the season for us to have a chance of drawing level and overtaking them on head-to-head results. But even in that scenario, we'd also need Real to drop points in order to claim the league. It wasn't to be, but we could at least draw comfort from handing Sociedad a 3-0 spanking in the derby.

We lost the Copa del Rey final to Barca, 1-0. Our dreams of a domestic double, the first since 84, were not to come to fruition. But oh well, we go again. I'm sure season 5 will be better.

[​IMG]

Bautista had a fantastic campaign, absolutely smashed his goal totals from the previous two seasons to bits. Notched up 27 in the league, enough to claim him both the Pichichi and the European Golden Boot, and scored 35 overall in all comps. Not enough to get him a place in Luis Enrique's Spain squad, however.

My backup regen striker Santamaria largely met his goal of being better than Kenan Kodro, though he's no sure bet. Will eventually be surpassed by the better regens nipping away at his heels but for now he holds on to #2 status for at least another season. Roberto Lopez was the main creative force in the side, we'd be absolutely lost without him.

I've had to engage in some proper Football Leaks style dodgy dealings to get the Odriozola deal over the line. Turns out his agent also happens to represent a couple of my B-team players, the ones not good enough to merit contract extensions despite his previous efforts, and not good enough to attract interest from other teams, but good enough to stick around on week-to-week deals and do a job. So the agent had built up a hatred of me, obviously not ideal, and it was a stumbling block in signing Odriozola. Agent feedback when making the loan buy clause offer suggested his preferred destination was Athletic Club, but then he's telling me that his client doesn't want to talk to me.

The only remedy was to offer one of the mediocre B-team guys a three year contract, with an inflated agent fee that could uncharitably be characterized as a bung. Suddenly I'm up to fiercely disliked in his estimation rather than the previous hatred, and Odriozola is willing to talk. Hat tip to FM for this representation of the murkiness of the modern game.

In Germany Ralph Hassenhuttl's (sp,cba Googling) Schalke finally put an end to Bayern's reign of domestic supremacy, winning the title to put an end to any notion of 10-in-a-row. Pep Guardiola's Liverpool claimed a third successive title under his charge, a 4th overall, and were also crowned European Champions by beating Bayern in a final at West Ham's London Stadium.

Mourinho has been booted out at United after a 5th-place finish, with Marcelino parlaying his Valencia title success into a new managerial role at Old Trafford. Unai Emery paid for his mediocre title defence with his job, Barca opting for Sarri as a replacement.

marti~bhoy and Champions0607 like this.
  9. robbie7cfc

Anyone played the mobile version yet? How different is it to the pc version?

10. SeanyBhooy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The January window was another success!

Out:

upload_2018-11-13_22-25-32.png

Livakovic left after Chelsea came calling, didn't actually think he was great and he threw a few goals in. Nice £11.5M profit.

Trauco left for £11m too, he was great..when fit. Another £10.5M profit there.

I made another couple of big signings:

upload_2018-11-13_22-27-43.png

Horn comes in and will be my #1 for as long as I can hold on to him.

Nakajima comes in after Sinclairs deadline day move to Watford.

Evensen is a regen I picked up from Rosenborg. Don't think I've ever had a regen with 20 Determination and the perfectionist personality. Any suggestions on how to train him?

upload_2018-11-13_22-30-0.png

11. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Your updates are absolutely brilliant, feel like I'm living it with you.

Never change, Fawlty. Never change.

Mr. Fawlty likes this.
  12. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He looks phenomenal! Get him working on that off the ball movement and he'll become one of the best in the game.

13. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Starting my 3rd season with Celtic. Tierney went to Liverpool for £50mil, Eddy went to Bournemouth for £50mil and Ntcham went to Brighton for £40mil. Anyone else seeing prices like this? They come in for like £20mil, I ask for £50mil off the bat and they take it.

Champions0607 likes this.
  14. SeanyBhooy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Thanks mate got him training as a complete forward with additional focus on movement.

15. Champions0607

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Almost finished 2nd season where I’ve already won 9 in a row, didn’t make it a quadruple treble though as hearts put me out of Betfred cup in quarters.

Undefeated so far in league with 6 games to go with only 5 draws. Rangers sacked Gerrard after I maulled them 6-0 at CP (they are currently sitting 5th I league and Steve Clark has taken over).

I finished 3rd in champions league group on 9 points.. won all home games lost all away games.. group was Barca Man Utd and rb Salzburg.

I am now into semis of Europa league which is insane.. 3 very close games in last 3 rounds. I got anderlecht then Lyon then Porto.. anderlecht was 4-2 on aggregate, Lyon was 2-2 (went through on sway goals) and Porto was 2-1 aggregate to me. Roma I’m the semis, the other semi is athletico Madrid and spurs.

I play 5-3-2 wing backs, and I was on a run in Scotland of 14 games without conceding a league goal.

Livakovic
    Nunez - araujo - gimber
    Maffeo. Spinnazola
    E.Palacios. Ntcham
    Vargas(lovro Majer)
    Edouard. Arp

Subs Ze luis, Brown, Matheus fernandez, Bain, dodo, and a couple of regens.

Will do well to keep most of this squad in summer as EPL big guns are after half of them.

16. Champions0607

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Tierney aye, he sold end of first season for £40 odd million to Man Utd. I've still got ntcham and edouard, they 2 and brown are pretty much the only players i have left of the current team. If teams come in for £50mil/£40mil for both of them this transfer window they'll both be gone without a doubt at that price! Will do what you done and see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up!!

17. LM67

Struggling in the league so far . . .

CFE39C3E-F462-4ADE-BE87-11EEE328D07E.png

The board have obviously been impressed

A57F84D7-325E-4DC1-9E87-24F61EF8AAA2.png

If only Lawwell was that generous in real life!

Champions0607 and Mr. Fawlty like this.
  18. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Rejected a £53m offer for Rogic. Need him for the last 16 game against Spurs.

Mr. Fawlty likes this.
  19. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    November World Cup for me this season, * nightmare.

20. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    [​IMG]

Barsarri are intimidating. I mean, just look at that * midfield. I anticipate Williams and Muniain having some joy against their non-existent fullbacks, but they'll suffocate our two-man midfield unless we somehow bypass that phase of the game by just hoofing it wide/long. And don't mistake the slow-as-Crouch Messi-Suarez pairing as their first choice, we'll likely have to contend with Scandi phenom Erling Haland.

Their record reads P4, W4, GF18, GA0. We're ticking along nicely at P4, W4, GF12, GA2, and have had two marquee away wins (Atleti + Celta) as opposed to Barca's comparatively soft fixtures, but I still fear them. They're up at next, at home fortunately enough, and the weather forecast calls for heavy rain which probably favours our style more than theirs.

So weird starting the season proper in late July on account of the Qatar World Cup. Typically at this stage we'd be preparing for our second league fixture, but we're actually preparing for our fifth. Last season we broke for the winter pause on December 15, now we have no fixtures between 2nd November, our final Champions League group game, and the 1st of January. Given that I'll probably have at most six players in the Spain squad I'll end up having to schedule about five friendlies to keep the lads from disappearing into condition/sharpness oblivion.

Iturraspe decided to * off having not been offered a new contract. Ideal, really, as it opens up a spot for Sancet, who probably won't develop much more on loan and needs the focused coaching/minutes on offer here. Also got rid of Kenan Kodro, selling him to Sheffield United for a handy 3m. Ditched Vesga to Osasuna for 2.3m, still had two years on his contract but couldn't find a loan. Put Unai Lopes out on loan as he didn't really perform as my backup #10. I'd rather have Muniain on backup #10 duty and carve off some LW minutes for German Valera, who is due his promotion from the B-team. Berengeur returns from loan purgatory to take up Susaeta's old backup RW spot, with Susaeta having finally hung up his boots. Susaeta basically never played last season on account of being far too slow, so even though Berengeur was woeful for me when I first bought him and hasn't shown any sort of form on loan he still probably just about qualifies as an upgrade on decrepit Susaeta.

The bulk of the side is essentially the same, but with Sancet + Valera we've significantly upgraded two key depth positions.

CL group is looking tasty, we're paired with defending champs Liverpool, Marseille and Stereotypical Tough Away Day Dynamo Kyiv.